Player Discussion: Jordan Eberle

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
raw

See ya Jordan. Always appreciated your ability, but you are slightly overpaid for what you bring. Would rather be paying Palmieri... and... dare I hope for Landeskog?

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Greiss, Lehner, Leddy, Ebele, Toews - all of a sudden we have a lot of guys who will be honored with a tribute when they return.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I won’t forget the game 5 2-OT beauty winner in 2020.
Eberle scored some really big goals for us and will be missed but what was done had to be done and hopefully Lou can find someone who can fit well with Barzal. The shedding is now pretty much done IMO and now it is time for adding.​

Last edited:

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg
Maybe he sometimes left us wanting more, but he should be remembered with some fondness, as he was certainly a piece of the return to respectability. Good luck with the Kraken!

Reactions: frankieboy

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Nothing but good things to say about Eberle, but it was clear he became a luxury player.

I was waiting/hoping that the 2020 playoff Eberle would show up but never did.

Although he improved, he was never a good fit for Trotz's style. Became a "paaassssanger"

Best of luck to him in Seattle.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Ebs best season for the isles was his first on LI.
In later seasons,the effort wasn't always there and he was frustrating to watch. Good luck to him in Seattle.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Eberle did everything he could with NYI. IMO it was never a question of effort with him - he's just not strong enough to win battles, an inability that was magnified in Lee's absence. The notion that he did not play defense, was poor positionally, or that he cheats, etc. was never true, not even in his Edmonton days. NYI are going to need another player with is kind of goal-scoring knack in the top 6.

Reactions: CupHolders

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I always liked Eberle and I never anticipated that he would be anything more than what he was. In fact, I'd say he lived up to the expectations.

I would have been more than ok with bringing him back, but I also realize that moving him out and giving us the ability to bring in some other talent is a good thing. It also potentially opens the door wider for Wahlstrom which I'm excited about.

Reactions: bigtim1988 and MJF

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
He went from playing on never ending 1st round pick rebuild EDM to helping the Isles advance to the ECF 2x. He contributed, no doubt. However, sometimes you have to recognize he's not that player that is going to help get the Isles to the final step.
My thoughts exactly. I appreciate his contributions and that he brought some much needed scoring pop in a time where we had none. But he is also the kind of player we needed to upgrade on to go further in the playoffs. But I will be rooting for him in Seattle.

Reactions: CupHolders

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Eberle did everything he could with NYI. IMO it was never a question of effort with him - he's just not strong enough to win battles, an inability that was magnified in Lee's absence. The notion that he did not play defense, was poor positionally, or that he cheats, etc. was never true, not even in his Edmonton days. NYI are going to need another player with is kind of goal-scoring knack in the top 6.

I feel like I’ve been one of the more vocal posters to criticize his game and suggest the Isles move on from him.

But like you, I was critical of his lack strength and ability to produce in traffic. I was never critical of his effort or positioning.

The fact that I can’t ever recall Trotz benching Eberle, tells me he was equally fine with that part of his game.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I was a fan, even in the playoffs when you wanted more consistency I thought he still found ways to get points. 30 something points in 40 something games when ice shrinks up is nothing to sneeze at.

Reactions: Olliemets

BKIsles

Jan 22, 2013
I thought Eberle had a great career with the Isles overall, and he had a few really great playoff series and I was impressed how he played against Tampa this year, thought he rose to the occasion, played way more physical than he normally does.

I thought his play was fine, maybe better suited for the 2nd line, but more than anything he was just a cap casualty. Out of the big longterm forward contracts (Lee, Nelson, Bailey, JGP, Eberle), one had to go with the cap flattening out. Seattle might be a rough team, but it's a great spot overall, hope he remains successful there.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The best tribute that I can give to Eberle is that I'm glad we traded Hamonic and the 1st round pick to get him.

Reactions: bstash19

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I won’t forget the game 5 2-OT beauty winner in 2000.
Eberle scored some really big goals for us and will be missed but what was done had to be done and hopefully Lou can find someone who can fit well with Barzal. The shedding is now pretty much done IMO and now it is time for adding.​
Assuming you meant 2020?

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Ebs was one of my current favorite players in NHL, I started being a fan of his when he played well for the Canadian WJ team. He was one of the top producing players in Canadian junior on a weak team. When he made NHL, he roomed with Hall and took care of the latter, being a decent cook and more mature than Hall and that is why they became real close. He had a good start in Edmonton and I was blown away by the very 1st NHL goal he scored. He was particularly known for his backhand and ability to handle puck.

Unfortunately he did suffer a couple of things early in his career. He had an appendicitis surgery and the was checked real hard by Raffi Torres (pushed face first into the board behind the net) and was out for quite a while. I think that hit may have affected the mental part of his game a bit however he still managed to put in good numbers for Oilers. He did have a couple of injuries hence and seems every time he got hurt it takes him quite a while to get his game back on track. For him, it was is a matter of confidence, not the lack of skills. He is always polite, professional, and wears a smile around even on a rough day.

I was excited when Isles traded for him and I thought he contributed a lot for this team. In the end it is just his age, contract term, and the flat cap that costed his stay on Long Island. He is a "beauty" according to most of his teammates both on Oilers and Isles - a pleasant easy going guy who will put others ahead of himself. I do feel sad that he has to leave the team but also understand why looking at the big picture. Hope he will continue to play well in Seattle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olliemets

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I thought his play was fine, maybe better suited for the 2nd line, but more than anything he was just a cap casualty.

It wasn't his fault the Isles overpaid him, but it's what eventually forced him off the team. he may have been softer than everyone else, but they would have kept him if he was making a couple million less. I can't believe Seattle took him, I never thought we'd get rid of that contract

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It wasn't his fault the Isles overpaid him, but it's what eventually forced him off the team. he may have been softer than everyone else, but they would have kept him if he was making a couple million less
With greater pay comes greater expectations. Sooner or later it catches up to you if you aren’t a consistent producer.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It wasn't his fault the Isles overpaid him, but it's what eventually forced him off the team. he may have been softer than everyone else, but they would have kept him if he was making a couple million less. I can't believe Seattle took him, I never thought we'd get rid of that contract

He wasn't really overpaid. The flat cap made his contract worse and the he isn't versatile enough to play elsewhere in the lineup. He just wasn't what the team needed anymore.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
He wasn't really overpaid. The flat cap made his contract worse and the he isn't versatile enough to play elsewhere in the lineup. He just wasn't what the team needed anymore.

His ideal spot would be on a second line, preferably with a big center who drives to the net. This would open up time and space in the slot area for his shot.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad