Injury Report: Jordan Eberle - Out 4-6 weeks

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Frustrating for sure, but it looks like the team has some depth to fill the holes until he gets back. The question is if the players who fill those roles can handle it -- more specifically, can Yak can handle it? Don't have any doubts about Drais. He'll be fine. Works hard, pretty sound defensively etc.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Oilers made a big deal saying Nuge's shoulder was hurt in junior. Who knows if it's true or not but that's what they claimed. Never made much sense to me that they'd let the kid knowingly play two years on a bum shoulder but that is how this organization has been run.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Oilers made a big deal saying Nuge's shoulder was hurt in junior. Who knows if it's true or not but that's what they claimed. Never made much sense to me that they'd let the kid knowingly play two years on a bum shoulder but that is how this organization has been run.

I don't ever remember the Oilers or RNH saying he hurt his shoulder in juniors (WJC he played hurt), Hall has openly admitted he had shoulder issues in junior.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think there was a new shoulder surgery, considered optional, but really is something that everyone should get if they want to play at their max. I remember a spree of them around the same time, like Hemsky and Kesler. It definetly seems like something a pre-draft junior player wouldn't get. It's likely expensive and takes out a huge chunk of time.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
The loss of Eberle off the first line RW opens a possiblity for Draisaitl, Korpi, Yakupov, and Purcell, not to mention Slepyshev, who I think will play LW on the third line instead. One of those men will have to step up to fill that RW spot on the first line adequately. Draisaitl is a slick player, but I think he should be on the second line. Klinkammer is our fourth line RW, but the other guys can rotate into that first line RW position based on their play, until someone seizes it. It's an excellent opportunity for one or more of those players to step up and play with some highly skilled players. With Hall out of the line up last season, it opened an opportunity for Pouliot, who has never really looked back on his opportunity. Time for someone else to step up like he did. I think that this is the first time that I can remember not thinking the loss of an important player like Eberle would spelled disaster for the season. Don't get me wrong--it's not good--but it's nice to have a little depth at each position going into the season. I'm hopeful that someone will step up. The question now: who will?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

The problem was Nuge didn't want the surgery and they couldn't force him as technically it wasn't that bad yet.

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
Oilers app's injury tracker is listing Eberle at 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:

AvOiL

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2008
Calgary, AB
Oilers app's injury tracker is listing Eberle at 2-3 weeks.

Ebs was on OilersNOW at 12:10 pm today. He said the original timeline hasn't changed, that he's going to take it week-by-week, and that he might have a better idea of when he will return after he's able to resume skating.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The loss of Eberle off the first line RW opens a possiblity for Draisaitl, Korpi, Yakupov, and Purcell, not to mention Slepyshev, who I think will play LW on the third line instead. One of those men will have to step up to fill that RW spot on the first line adequately. Draisaitl is a slick player, but I think he should be on the second line. Klinkammer is our fourth line RW, but the other guys can rotate into that first line RW position based on their play, until someone seizes it. It's an excellent opportunity for one or more of those players to step up and play with some highly skilled players. With Hall out of the line up last season, it opened an opportunity for Pouliot, who has never really looked back on his opportunity. Time for someone else to step up like he did. I think that this is the first time that I can remember not thinking the loss of an important player like Eberle would spelled disaster for the season. Don't get me wrong--it's not good--but it's nice to have a little depth at each position going into the season. I'm hopeful that someone will step up. The question now: who will?

Good points.

In some ways (not that there's a "good" time for an injury)... but it happened and at least with Eberle missing a month or so at the start of the season... that's a time the team will likely be experimenting with line combos and trying to find some chemistry in the lineup anyway.

We already know that the line of Pouliot-RNH-Eberle has good chemistry so when Eberle comes back... he'll likely slip right back into place relatively easily. In the meantime the team can try to find different alternate combos for the 1st-3rd lines that may work well together going forward.

Sure it would have been nice to have that 1 stable "old line" if Eberle was healthy and experiment with lines 2/3 but who knows... maybe they'll find another strong combo with Pouliot and RNH... allowing the team some further flexibility on the roster after Eberle is back.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Maybe if Purcell has some success with RNH and Pouliot Eberle will slide onto the line with McDavid and Hall?

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011

the problem with joint surgery is that in some cases, rehabbing the should could prove just as effective as surgery, without the cutting of tissues. the other issue that some people run into is that even thought they get surgery and the joint is made complete, they lose something after surgery.

i am not sure which running back gregor and struds were talking about when the issue of RNHs should came up but they distinctly remember that despite his fully repaired knee, the player wasnt able to cut and run as good as before surgery.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Eberle can't come back to this team soon enough.

One of the weird things is it was going to be interesting to see whether Eberle made any kind of commitment to allround play. This first 20 games was going to be all about that. By the time Eberle gets back the season, realistically, will be over again and he'll come back his usual self because theres "nothing to play for" It'll once again be a defence of eberle isn't back checking because the games don't matter. except he's rarely done any of that in the first place.

In terms of analysis of whether eberle is prepared to grow his game this injury is bad timing.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Our entire line structure is screwed up without Eberle.

Hands down the best player either RNH or Hall play with is Eberle. With him on their line, they pretty much will produce offence no matter what.

It would be sooooooo much better if we could ice even this

Hall RNH Eberle
Pouliot McDavid Yakupov

At least then, Eberle can settle Hall and/or RNH down and make sure we have two lines clicking, but unfortunately as is, we're probably stuck as a one line offence until Eberle is back, by which time our record will likely have taken a lot of damage.

It's relatively easy to beat us if only one line is clicking because lets be honest -- we ain't beating teams on the strength of our D or bottom six scoring.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't ever remember the Oilers or RNH saying he hurt his shoulder in juniors (WJC he played hurt), Hall has openly admitted he had shoulder issues in junior.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=681375

Nugent-Hopkins admitted prior to the surgery the shoulder injury had been nagging him for a couple of years. He tied Gabriel Landeskog of the Colorado Avalanche for the rookie scoring lead in 2011-12 with 52 points despite missing 20 games due to an injury to the shoulder. Nugent-Hopkins struggled for most of last season, finishing with four goals and 20 points in 40 games before he was shut down.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
One of the weird things is it was going to be interesting to see whether Eberle made any kind of commitment to allround play. This first 20 games was going to be all about that. By the time Eberle gets back the season, realistically, will be over again and he'll come back his usual self because theres "nothing to play for" It'll once again be a defence of eberle isn't back checking because the games don't matter. except he's rarely done any of that in the first place.

In terms of analysis of whether eberle is prepared to grow his game this injury is bad timing.

I don't want Eberle back for his defensive awareness (or lack thereof), did any forward outside of McDavid look offensively creative against the Blues?

SunDin

Dec 22, 2008
Does Anton Lander belong in Oilers PP or is this just temporary (with Eberle out)?
Who is the first player to leave Oilers PP units with Eberle back? Pouliot, Lander, Purcell, Slepyshev?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad