Injury Report: Jordan Eberle - Out 4-6 weeks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
don't know why people are so happy it's only 4-6 weeks.
going to affect the team and Eberle longer than that.

I'm thinking he has to first get back into game shape, and then going forward for the rest of the year he will be physically weaker and also not be able to play his full game out of concern for his injury.

I wouldn't say that I'm happy, but if there was time for this to happen its now when there seems to be a lot of guys playing fired up hockey right now.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I wouldn't say that I'm happy, but if there was time for this to happen its now when there seems to be a lot of guys playing fired up hockey right now.
I'm happy its only 4-6 weeks rather then longer cause why wouldn't I be. Should I be happy if it was 4-6 months?

Injury could of been much worse

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Hall - McDavid - Draisaitl
Pouliot - RNH - Yakupov
Slepyshev - Lander - Purcell
Hendricks - Letestu - Korpikoski
Klinkhammer

Yak needs to step up.. this is a big opportunity for him.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Still quite bad and disappointing but also the best case scenario essentially. Just have to hope the shoulder doesn't affect his release too much.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Can't find any official description of the injury. Just no surgery required, 4-6 weeks.
Perhaps they haven't released more info, but wondering if it is a separation, a broken bone, etc?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Well, for a brighter perspective, it does give Yaks a chance to prove his worth, like many others have already mentioned.

I'm going to be watching Yakupov like a Hawk the first 10 games or so, as well as the next 2. I want him to suceed, but still do not know if he can.

Sorry for going a bit OT as this is about Ebs injury. He'll bounce back soon enough.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Mike Grier as I recall had a separated shoulder. At least that's what they called it at the time. In his case it kept popping out.

You seem knowledgeable on this and if theres anymore explanation that would be cool.
A dislocated shoulder involves the humerus actually coming out of the shoulder socket, and because there is so much supporting tissue around the joint that gets damaged and weakened it often never gets back to full function so future dislocations often occur. In the case of a shoulder separation it involves the ac joint where the clavicle sits on the scapula and it is really just held down by a few muscles and ligaments so the tissue damage is much less and its much more stable and less likely to reoccur once it's healed than a dislocation

Last edited:

McDeathbyCheerios*

Well, for a brighter perspective, it does give Yaks a chance to prove his worth, like many others have already mentioned.

I'm going to be watching Yakupov like a Hawk the first 10 games or so, as well as the next 2. I want him to suceed, but still do not know if he can.

Sorry for going a bit OT as this is about Ebs injury. He'll bounce back soon enough.
Yak is still currently on the third line

Dallas

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
I'm an emergency physician. I have separated my right shoulder, and dislocated my left shoulder. The difference between the two is huge. Watching the replay and the way that Eberle hit, it looked like he separated his shoulder. The injury report and suspected recovery time now confirms that it is a minor separation. Minor shoulder separations generally have a much shorter recovery time and less long term complications. My shoulder separation took about 3-4 weeks until I started playing hockey again.

Dislocations on the other hand usually cause ongoing problems. Once you dislocate your shoulder once, you're generally prone to dislocate the shoulder again and it is never as stable as it was originally. Dislocations also take significantly longer to heal and often require eventual surgery in young athletes. My shoulder dislocation had some complications and took approximately 5 months to heal before I could even try playing hockey again.

Eberle is going to be ok, and this shouldn't slow him down once he returns to action. Good news for everyone.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm an emergency physician. I have separated my right shoulder, and dislocated my left shoulder. The difference between the two is huge. Watching the replay and the way that Eberle hit, it looked like he separated his shoulder. The injury report and suspected recovery time now confirms that it is a minor separation. Minor shoulder separations generally have a much shorter recovery time and less long term complications. My shoulder separation took about 3-4 weeks until I started playing hockey again.

Dislocations on the other hand usually cause ongoing problems. Once you dislocate your shoulder once, you're generally prone to dislocate the shoulder again and it is never as stable as it was originally. Dislocations also take significantly longer to heal and often require eventual surgery in young athletes. My shoulder dislocation had some complications and took approximately 5 months to heal before I could even try playing hockey again.

Eberle is going to be ok, and this shouldn't slow him down once he returns to action. Good news for everyone.

I'm honestly not sure if it's a dislocation or not. The Oilers have sung this song and dance before, "it's just a minor shoulder thing" turns into season-ending surgery after 5-6 months of ineffective play. I hope that isn't the case here.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Purcell must be licking his chops. I'm not sure he would have made the club if Eberle was still here. I'd like to see:

Pouliot-RNH-Purcell
Draisaitl-McDavid-Yakupov
Hall-Lander-Korpikpski
Hendricks-Letestu-Klinkhammer

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
yeah exactly.... the oilers medical staff has not exactly given me a great deal of confidence in their ability to diagnose a shoulder injury correctly

It would help the board if every time there was an injury on the team you didn't yell, "He's out for the year" for every single one.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Purcell must be licking his chops. I'm not sure he would have made the club if Eberle was still here. I'd like to see:

Pouliot-RNH-Purcell
Draisaitl-McDavid-Yakupov
Hall-Lander-Korpikpski
Hendricks-Letestu-Klinkhammer

Breathing a sigh of relief that he won't get waived yet.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This is excellent news. It just means that he'll be fresher for the playoffs.:)

On a side note. This board has become a pain in the ass to use again over the past few days. Pop up ads everytime you change a page. Nobody minds the occasional one but it's become too much again. Seems to happen every couple months now. I really hope they do something about it soon.

Dallas

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
I'm honestly not sure if it's a dislocation or not. The Oilers have sung this song and dance before, "it's just a minor shoulder thing" turns into season-ending surgery after 5-6 months of ineffective play. I hope that isn't the case here.

I can't say 100% that it is a separation, but unless the team physicians are complete quacks, we should be able to confidently assume that it wasn't a dislocation. The timeline for recovery from a shoulder dislocation is much longer than 4-6 weeks. I've had both injuries and I see them on a weekly basis in my practice.

McDeathbyCheerios*

hey now, i got a reputation to uphold! guilty as charged (to some degree), but it really is said how many times i've been right due to incompetence on our medical staffs part
I don't think it's medical staff.

I think it was management choosing to withhold information. Either by saying it was a lesser injury to give fans hope of a quick recovery. Or have players rushed back to try and save their own *****.

I honestly don't think the medical staff can be that incompetent

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
kc2rxnN.png

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
hey now, i got a reputation to uphold! guilty as charged (to some degree), but it really is said how many times i've been right due to incompetence on our medical staffs part

IIRC Hall and RNH's shoulder issues were glenoid labrum tears that needed to be repaired, which to be fair would often be treated without surgery for the average individual. They're also not the easiest to diagnose and its possible that they weren't showing much for symptoms. They need an MRI or CT scan to see the tears, and even then its not 100% conclusive and could still be missed. Not making excuses for the staff, but its not always black and white in these cases, and often professional athletes want to get back as fast as possible. So for an injury like that which doesn't necessarily require surgery the athlete might just elect to play through it.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Not the end of the world.

Hopefully, this season, with this management, Eberle will be kept out until he is WAY beyond just 'barely ready' to return. 4-6 weeks...let's just make it 8!!!

Slepyshev and Draisaitl should be able to pick up the offensive production.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
IIRC Hall and RNH's shoulder issues were glenoid labrum tears that needed to be repaired, which to be fair would often be treated without surgery for the average individual. They're also not the easiest to diagnose and its possible that they weren't showing much for symptoms. They need an MRI or CT scan to see the tears, and even then its not 100% conclusive and could still be missed. Not making excuses for the staff, but its not always black and white in these cases, and often professional athletes want to get back as fast as possible. So for an injury like that which doesn't necessarily require surgery the athlete might just elect to play through it.
Didn't both RNH and Hall's shoulder issues originally happen in juniors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad