Waived: Jones on waivers for buyout

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Goalies are so random that I wouldn't be surprised to see Jones improve by around ten save percentage points on a different team if he finds the right fit. That's only like a .905 SV% though which is still pretty terrible.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
and was just as bad as Jones while he was here. I don't think there's any system in pro hockey that gets Jones to league average.

He was league average every time the sharks decided to play like an nhl team, but that was rare since 99.9% of the time the sharks played like the hockey you see in intermission in the majority of nhl rinks in canada.

Reactions: Nighthock

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Please don’t sign Holtby, please don’t sign Holtby, please don’t sign Holtby

If they were to sign Holtby it would basically be the same as if they kept Jones. But today is a day for optimism and hope, so I won't let such a thought ruin it! (Actually, wait, that's already happened because of the utility work that's been making my house shake all day--or is that actually the impending doom of Holtby and Cizikas arriving??)

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If they were to sign Holtby it would basically be the same as if they kept Jones. But today is a day for optimism and hope, so I won't let such a thought ruin it! (Actually, wait, that's already happened because of the utility work that's been making my house shake all day--or is that actually the impending doom of Holtby and Cizikas arriving??)
I think it is a slim chance on Holtby. DW mentioned in the presser today about how Jones playing so much probably contributed to him hitting a wall and specifically mentioned Holtby as the other guy who may have played more than him over the past however many years. Don't think they explore going back down that path. Guessing after listening to DW mention something about "someone we're familiar with" that Reimer is almost 100% their top target or right there on the short list.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I think it is a slim chance on Holtby. DW mentioned in the presser today about how Jones playing so much probably contributed to him hitting a wall and specifically mentioned Holtby as the other guy who may have played more than him over the past however many years. Don't think they explore going back down that path. Guessing after listening to DW mention something about "someone we're familiar with" that Reimer is almost 100% their top target or right there on the short list.
Riemer would be a great choice IMO. They talked about how good he was in the locker room too.

Reactions: hockeyCEO

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Had to happen with Jones but it still sucks it turned out this way. Author of some of the greatest moments in franchise history. Game 6 against Vegas is still one of the greatest performances by a Sharks goalie. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him put up good to very good numbers behind a team that is more committed defensively. His number in the middle of the last season were top 5 in the league during that stretch, if I remember correctly. Just as long as he doesn't go to Vegas...

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Well...we aren't really a hot destination so need to temper some expectations. Holtby for at 1 yr deal so we could trade at the deadline is fine. I'll be curious to see if DW goes short term 1 yr whatever or if he goes after Halak or someone else mid term like 3 yr.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I thought Halak too but he's kind small comparatively and it sounds like they want taller guys from now on.
Also sounds like Halak is going to Vancouver per Twitter "sources". DW mentioned wanting a blend and finding a guy to help Adin Hill being a priority in who he brings in tomorrow, so yeah think that is almost assuredly Reimer (assuming the interest is mutual and money and term align).

NewMuzu24

May 28, 2018
I think this move makes sense and I’ve got no beef with Jones after backstopping to the Final and playing behind some d-corps that left something to be desired.

Hope whichever vet they get to back up Hill is on a one-year deal for potential flipping come the deadline.

No idea if this signals a direction for the upcoming season, but at least it gives more flexibility.

Appreciate you, Joner. Hope the next stop is a good one unless it’s Vegas.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
He was possibly the best AND the worst goalie we've ever had....
I would say he’s definitely had the best run of any sharks goalie. And by that getting us to the cup final I see why you would label him that

for me it’s Nabokov

but he definitely worse Other than our roster that was the worst and NHL history when we went like 11 and 71 but no one had a chance back then

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Rejoice all ye ..

Oh-yes-finally-GIF.gif
They had me in the first half, not gonna lie…

Reactions: Alwalys

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Happy trails Jonesie. At least you gave us some good memories and peak Jones was one of the best goalies in Sharks history although that's not saying much.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Jones' career in teal started with a goal against on his first shot. he then had 2 shutouts in a row his next 2 games. Indicative of what we saw play out over the next 6 seasons.

Is it mental? was the team defense really that bad? who is to say. For every stretch save to keep the team in games he'd let up a sifter from the point. Maybe he is a fit somewhere.

Honestly as much as he has sucked...the dude almost got us 2 cups. He wasn't even terrible in the 2019 playoffs.

yes he was. he gave up a goal in the first ~5 mins of a game every single game the sharks lost except 1 or 2, and they had 10 losses. He was a big reason the Blues beat us because they figured out how to beat him. He kept the Sharks in games they should have lost, but also lost games for the Sharks.

Reactions: Alwalys

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

Yeah, I'm not genuinely worried about Holtby or Cizikas. Just always have to prepare for the worst.

Just moving on from Jones will be helpful, I think, for both fans (I imagine some fans would just stop watching/attending games because they'd be so sick of more of the same with Jones) and players, who psychologically can both be lifted by the change in goal and challenged to step it up because they won't have the excuse of Jones (or a different sub-par goalie) in net behind them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad