Waived: Jones on waivers for buyout

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
He was only slightly better than Niemi that one year. That's the only nice thing I have to say about him.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Almost $2 million of dead money against the cap in years where Eklund, Bordeleau, etc.'s ELCs will expire is not good. But hey that's the next GM's problem. Go out there and spend the savings this year on Casey Cizikas Doug!

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Almost $2 million of dead money against the cap in years where Eklund, Bordeleau, etc.'s ELCs will expire is not good. But hey that's the next GM's problem. Go out there and spend the savings this year on Casey Cizikas Doug!
They'll also be rid of the Burns and Kane money that year and 1 year away from being rid of the Vlasic money. Cap space won't be an issue at that point in time.

If it is an issue, then that means we probably just won the Cup because all of those guys are going to need big raises from their ELC because they are all coming off 50-60 point seasons while on their ELC's while also meaning we had a damn near 100% hit rate on top prospects.

nabbyfan

Oct 4, 2007
Santa Clarita, CA
I hope he goes out East and is able to re-establish a career.

He was awesome for us in the run to the Cup Finals and we should all remember that season.

Its just unfortunate how it ended, He wasnt great for us these last few years but he also got some of the worst possible defensive play in front of him, and it all just compounded.

Thanks for a ton of great memories in teal, Martin! Pulling for you in your next stop.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
He has be awful for 3 three years and will not miss him

However, I feel this puts the Sharks in the awkward spot of not good enough to compete but also too good for Wright and Bedard

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Complicated feelings

Jones was probably the biggest reason we were so bad over the past couple of years

He also was the the starter for the two best teams in franchise history, at least in my opinion

There were some playoff disappointments sprinkled in along the way, but that's just Sharks hockey baby

I've made it known that I'm not in favor of the buyout right now as I'm on the tank train, but I understand why the team wants to move on

It's just a shame that it all turned out so poorly because there were some great moments from Jones in a Sharks jersey

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

However, I feel this puts the Sharks in the awkward spot of not good enough to compete but also too good for Wright and Bedard

Bedard will be drafted in 2023. I doubt they'll be worst in the league two years from now even if they are bad this year (and get Wright or 2-7).

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Would be so DW to buyout Jones then sign Holbty who is equally f***ing useless to a multi year deal

Reactions: PhillyWings

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

With the tear downs in Buffalo and Arizona as well as Anaheim being atrocious as well, there was nothing we were going to feasibly do to be able to tank worse than those teams for Wright/Bedard.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Thank you Martin Jones for your contributions in the run to the finals! The Penguins were clearly the better team, but if it had been Kessel instead of Hertl who was injured in game 2, perhaps Jones would have brought us the cup.

It's unfortunate how it worked out, but he earned the contract he got, injuries- or whatever- just ruined him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->