Waived: Jones on waivers for buyout

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I wonder if our gm understands that this isn’t news and that the fans would love to see one of those actual rumors other teams see all the f***ing time.

If for anything else I can’t wait until Doug is gone just so we can have someone who doesn’t have an 18th century concept of communication.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
With the tear downs in Buffalo and Arizona as well as Anaheim being atrocious as well, there was nothing we were going to feasibly do to be able to tank worse than those teams for Wright/Bedard.

Provided there were no changes to the percentages, the difference between 3 (10.3%) and 9 (5.4%) aren't that big. The raw win percentage of 1 (16.6) is only 3x greater than 9, however being 1 or 2 is hugely advantageous, in that teams 12 (or 13)-16 can't move up past them, so it effectively adds the worst teams chance of being #1 9.1%

A 25% chance of Wright is pretty solid, but ultimately no matter what Wilson did- including keeping Jones- I wasn't optimistic we'd be bottom 2. Buffalo is horrible, our conference will result in some points, and CBJ, Anaheim, Detroit, Phoenix, CGY, and Seattle are all equally bad. Ending up 2nd with the talent on the team would have been pretty pathetic. Ending up 7th and having a 6.7% chance of Wright however, ain't bad.

More importantly the top 10 of 2022 is really good.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I wonder if our gm understands that this isn’t news and that the fans would love to see one of those actual rumors other teams see all the f***ing time.

If for anything else I can’t wait until Doug is gone just so we can have someone who doesn’t have an 18th century concept of communication.
I don’t know exactly what you want or expect to happen

Reactions: Alwalys

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Thanks to Captain Colander for the good memories. Enjoy the pay out and all the best moving forward.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Translation: No GM in the league, other than me, is stupid enough to hand those obscene contracts to Jones and Vlasic. So it's buyout or bust.
For Vlasic, sure. The Jones contract was going to be given out to basically any GM in the NHL given the way the trajectory looked at the time of his signing. This one is more of an issue of the play falling off a cliff with no advance warning rather than this being a bad contract from the moment it was signed like the Vlasic deal was.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
For Vlasic, sure. The Jones contract was going to be given out to basically any GM in the NHL given the way the trajectory looked at the time of his signing. This one is more of an issue of the play falling off a cliff with no advance warning rather than this being a bad contract from the moment it was signed like the Vlasic deal was.

Sure any GM would have done it but that doesn't excuse the stupidity of signing a goalie who isn't clearly one of the top 3 in the league to a 6x6 extension at age 28.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California

Agreed 100%. I remember the consensus about the Jones contract being that it was two or three years too long, but the Shark's only other option was to let him walk and attempt to swing a trade for another starter.

Vlasic on the other hand, everyone here knew that contract was a day-1 mistake, especially when Wilson was talking about how Vlasic had untapped offensive potential. I mean, WTF, serious.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
My guess is that James Reimer is the goalie DW is planning to add after this.
Sticking on the Reimer, Mrazek, or Bernier train. Mrazek most matches the analytical profile of what they mentioned, but Reimer is probably cheaper and more willing to maybe come back to SJ given the time he had in SJ in 2016. All 3 are good options. Anyone but Holtby is probably a solid option.

Reactions: Sandisfan

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Today is a good day for Sharks fans and therefore the hockey world.

But thanks for all you did Jones. Almost won the team the first cup.

tumblr_m551yrTqbU1r4gei2o4_400.gifv

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Almost $2 million of dead money against the cap in years where Eklund, Bordeleau, etc.'s ELCs will expire is not good. But hey that's the next GM's problem. Go out there and spend the savings this year on Casey Cizikas Doug!

thats nothing by then the cap will likely be rising while other contracts fall off

not a bad position at all for sharks

say that to Minnesota who’s going to be like 11,000,000+ And dead money for the next hundred years

Reactions: Sandisfan

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
there are teams that have twice as much money tied up in buyouts and retention than the Sharks that are still in fine shape.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad