Jonathan Toews Hat Trick

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
It's only two games, but it does seem like Toews meant what he said heading into the off-season about leaning down for speed and adjusting his play-style to the new NHL.

He's spending a lot less time below the circles, grinding along the walls and playing in tight cycles than he is trying to find and create space in open ice.

Hopefully he keeps it up and it keeps working.​

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
It's only two games, but it does seem like Toews meant what he said heading into the off-season about leaning down for speed and adjusting his play-style to the new NHL.

He's spending a lot less time below the circles, grinding along the walls and playing in tight cycles than he is trying to find and create space in open ice.

My boy Johnny be eatin' steaks again

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Is he still Vegan? Don't know if you're memeing or not.

Personally I can not see that sort of restrictive diet being ideal for competitive athletes.
Don't think he's ever been vegan, but his diet as far as I know is mostly greens and lean meats like chicken and fish. He had major issues in the playoffs in 2009 and found out he was lactose intolerant and allergic to certain meats.

Reactions: JaegerDice

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Is he still Vegan? Don't know if you're memeing or not.

Personally I can not see that sort of restrictive diet being ideal for competitive athletes.

He's never been vegan. He cuts out some proteins cause they make him sick. If I recall correctly, it's mostly dairy and red meat that he won't eat.

It’s all the result of an epiphany Toews had after the 2008-09 playoffs. It was the first ticket to the big dance for the rising Blackhawks core, which included Toews, Patrick Kane, Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook. The stats suggest Toews acquitted himself very well as a post-season freshman. He had seven goals and 13 points in 17 games and celebrated his 21st birthday after Chicago ousted Calgary in Round 1. But even if it didn’t show on the ice, Toews’ body started quitting on him by Round 2. He was constantly sick. He did his best Glenn Hall impression, throwing up before games, and struggled to sleep every night. After the Detroit Red Wings knocked the Blackhawks out in the conference final, Toews woke up.

“I was always thinking I needed to work harder and push through it, not really knowing that not every guy was going through the same thing and that there was something wrong,” Toews said.

He called team trainer Mike Gapski for help. Gapski put Toews in touch with a nutritionist, and so began a summer of testing and experimentation. The verdict: Toews’ diet was the culprit. He learned he was in a battle with his body due to being lactose intolerant and having allergies to certain types of protein. He changed his eating habits and began feeling worlds better. A changed man, he captained Chicago to its first Stanley Cup in nearly half a century one season later, taking home the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP. Toews averaged almost five more minutes of ice time in the 2010 playoffs than he did while at war with illness the previous spring.

He has since become one of the NHL’s biggest health advocates. He’s not vegetarian or vegan or Paleo. He doesn’t subscribe to any singular, defined dietary philosophy. For Toews, it’s a matter of mixing and matching what works, though his personal menu obviously includes greens, greens and more greens, plus lean proteins.

The Other Side of Serious: Meet the Jonathan Toews you don't know - TheHockeyNews

I think he also cuts out most gluten too, I remember reading that somewhere, but that's not actually particularly odd for athletes these days.

EDIT: Here it is:

"My first or second season in the NHL were just an absolute struggle," Toews said. "I was getting sick a lot, not sleeping, puking before games and the list goes on and on. It was just a struggle to not just perform but to play and have a happy lifestyle away from the rink."

Toews had to figure out what was happening. The answer was in his diet. After consulting with nutritionists, Toews made a radical change.

Toews' mother, Andree Gilbert, said he was lactose intolerant from a young age but now his body was having a negative reaction to gluten and certain kinds of protein.

"A lot of people look at the whole gluten-free movement as some kind of cult-like craze, but it was something that made a huge difference in my life," Toews said. "Not everybody needs to take it as extremely as I did, but that was the beginning of what made me realize how what I was eating (had an impact). What I was putting into my body was preying on my health."

What drives Jonathan Toews? Let's start with the sleepovers

I think both Chara and ROR are vegan tho.

There's not real downside to being vegan as far as performance, it's just a bigger pain in the ass to find food easily, since the entire food industry is geared toward the meat-eating majority, and because you have to eat more to get the same amount of nutrients...but vegan supplements (protein powders, shakes, etc) are pretty widely available now, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoCalFan and olli

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Yep. Selke Trophy and Gold Medals and Stanley Cups aren't winning anything. [mod]

I’d rather have Nylander, Connor Brownand Josh Leivo toews would get maybe some time on the marlies

Last edited by a moderator:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Never said he didn’t. Malkin still has his trophy case beat though, just saying. That entitlement can only go so far.....

Maybe it's just poor word choice, but I'm not sure I've ever seen Toews act entitled to anything. Like most hockey players, he just kinda shrugs and talks about other players any time he's praised.

Hell, he straight up called Steve Yzerman a liar when it was recounted to him that Yzerman said Toews was a better athlete than him during the SCF 2015 press tour.

A year later, when he was voted to the all-star team, he pointed to Panarin as a better choice who deserved to be there.

We can argue about whether Toews is overrated by fans or the media, but I can't recall a time he's ever claimed to be the shit or demanded praise.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
He's going to need to rebound for the Hawks to have any chance at the playoffs.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Maybe it's just poor word choice, but I'm not sure I've ever seen Toews act entitled to anything. Like most hockey players, he just kinda shrugs and talks about other players any time he's praised.

Hell, he straight up called Steve Yzerman a liar when it was recounted to him that Yzerman said Toews was a better athlete than him during the SCF 2015 press tour.

A year later, when he was voted to the all-star team, he pointed to Panarin as a better choice who deserved to be there.

We can argue about whether Toews is overrated by fans or the media, but I can't recall a time he's ever claimed to be the **** or demanded praise.
When I say entitled I mean he gets special treatment from the league and his fans, everything he does seems to be glorified, not that he himself acts entitled. Probably not the right word, I’m trying to say he gets put on a pedestal. I would never question his character.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
When I say entitled I mean he gets special treatment from the league and his fans, everything he does seems to be glorified, not that he himself acts entitled. Probably not the right word, I’m trying to say he gets put on a pedestal. I would never question his character.

Ok, I see what you're saying. I'm not sure entitlement is the right word, since it suggests feeling owed something without working for it. And Toews if nothing else, has worked for his success. The debate over whether he gets more credit than deserved for said success (at least the team success) is external and separate from his own personal mindset.

But yeah, it's kind of tough to think of a single word for... I don't know, 'disproportionate reverence'?

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009

Kopitar had a nice bounce back year. No reason to think high skill guys who hit a rough patch, cannot find their old form again.
A year away from the playoff's might have been just what the doctor ordered, sounds like he has reinvented himself a bit too...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad