TSN: Jonathan Huberdeau added to trade board

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
In my opinion losing a player like Huberdeau for that benefit alone isn't worth it. Especially if it's only acquiring one of those pieces or they have to add to Huberdeau to get both. While still risking losing them both as UFAs in a season where they have a high chance of not making the playoffs.

agreed. i cannot believe that would happen just to get an advance shot at signing 2 ufas who are obviously walking somewhere. if the jackets also sent a real asset back equal to more than half huberdeau's value along with those two guys then maybe i guess, but still it seems bizarre.

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Something around Dougie Hamilton and Huberdeau?

Both making around 6M?

FLA needs a top 5 Dman, Carolina needs scoring?
That would probably work for the Canes. But it wouldn't save Florida any money, which seems the rationale when bringing in Panarin and Bob. Would a futures package be of interest? If not, I think Dougie for Huberdeau would be the kind of hockey trade the Canes management was looking for.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
agreed. i cannot believe that would happen just to get an advance shot at signing 2 ufas who are obviously walking somewhere. if the jackets also sent a real asset back equal to more than half huberdeau's value along with those two guys then maybe i guess, but still it seems bizarre.

It would also mean that Columbus essentially gives up on any playoff run as I doubt even Huberdeau + Korpisalo could make up for losing Bob and Panarin.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
People like to speculate, but a majority of the time, they don’t have a clue.

Panthers are pretty eager to move on from Reimer (he was pulled last night after a dismal 2nd, 2 goals on 3 shots) and Lou isn’t getting younger. Reimer has crappy cap hit, teams need to be enticed to take someone like him on.

Panthers clearly are hungry for Panarin and Bob, improves goal tending and gives us another elite scorer with Hoffman. Hoff is due a new contract after next season and Brassard has looked good here.

IMO, they’re looking to be free of Reimer’s rubbish play and contract, in comes Huberdeau.

Love Hubs, but he’s not been as good lately, several fans have questioned both his effort and his knack for holding onto the puck too long or looking to pass first.

Much rather we keep him and figure it out with Bob and Panarin, but I won’t be too upset if he’s gone for those two.

Still need a top 2 or at least top 4 defenseman, though.

Canes happen to have 2 UFA goalies and have reportedly been poking around for goalies. With their extra RHD seems like a pretty great fit.

Dougie Hamilton for Huberdeau + Reimer
Pesce for Huberdeau straight across

Last edited:
Reactions: Meeqs

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Trading Huberdeau even if it does guarantee Panarin and Bobrovsky for the next 8 years is dumb as hell

Problem is. You want the two players. You can't negotiate with their agents during the season. Tampering. Costs you draft picks I believe. So how do you negotiate with their agents? With permission. In a trade. Columbus gets a player who would look mighty good on Dubois's wing. For Florida, you don't have the cap space to sign said players. You need Luongo to retire. Against Vancouver's Cap. And you need to move players. If you wait until July 1, you are competing with everyone. Could get outbid (Isles, Blues, Avs, Kings, Canes). So the only way to be the first up, is to propose a trade that works for the Jackets, then negotiate with Panarin and Bob, and get them ahead of the deadline.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Interesting to see the number of posters who apparently looked at the thread title and absolutely nothing else.

There is also an alarming number of posters who act like the Panthers risk nothing in waiting until Free Agency starts to sign either of the 2, and even then - that they'll actually win those auditions.

Most seem to be forgetting both will have a long list of suitors with a lot more to throw at them besides sunshine.

Panthers make the trade now because they realize the battle they'll be in for if either of these two actually hit free agency.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Not giving up Huby for Hamilton not what we need. Rather go for Pesce if we are trading with Carolina.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It would also mean that Columbus essentially gives up on any playoff run as I doubt even Huberdeau + Korpisalo could make up for losing Bob and Panarin.
The presumption would be that we wouldn't be done after such a move. Like, we'd be looking for a #2C upgrade still.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Even if you pay both Bobrovsky and Panarin through the teeth you should still find a way to keep Huberdeau on his excellent contract. Dumber things have happened, I suppose.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If Florida trades Huberdeau, they better sign Bob and Panarin. Awful idea otherwise

Even if they do sign Bob and Panarin it's a horrible idea. The Panthers are missing the playoffs regardless, and either Bob and Panarin want to sign there or they don't. I would think they'd like it more if Huberdeau was part of the team and you could have all 3.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I’m thinking Florida has silent negotiations - with Jarmo’s blessing first - to get an extension figured out for both before pulling the trigger.

To CBJ: Huberdeau, Reimer (cap/roster purposes)

To FLA: Panarin (8 years, 72 million, 9 per), Bobrovsky (8 years, 54 million, 6.75 per)

I’m not sure it’s a good idea for Florida, but it does improve their team going forward (just not sure the improvement is worth the cost/cap hit).

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
For Florida, you don't have the cap space to sign said players.
They could easily fit both and keep Huberdeau. Pay someone to eat Reimer's contract and/or put Luongo on the LTIRment plan, trade Hoffman. Once again, trading Huberdeau even if it gets Panarin and Bob is dumb.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
You’ve gotta think it makes more sense to move out a guy like Hoffman if they really need salary gone

I don't think it makes sense to trade away good wingers until you absolutely have to. The Cats have a LOT of cap space next year, their biggest concern is maximizing player talent on their roster IMO. Unless they pay something ridiculous like $23m for a Panarin/Bob pair, they've got the cap space to keep their guys.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
well if Hart trophy level wingers are worth Adam Larsson

then i would say Huberdeaus value is right around Kris Russell

What a coincidence, the oilers have a kris russell........

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
If this is true all 30 other GMs better be on the phone. The guys a beast and locked in with a good contract. The return would be huge.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
To Columbus
F Jack Roslovic
WPG 2019 1st
FLA 2019 1st
F Owen Tippett
F Kristian Vesalainen
G Laurent Brossoit