TSN: Jonathan Huberdeau added to trade board

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Risk can be negotiated. See the 1st in the Kessel deal and any deal with a condition on re-signing.

Yes but in this case the risk is much heavier to lose Huberdeau for potentially 20 games of players that aren't negotiating until the summer. Kessel wasn't a pending UFA and I can't see how the situation is comparable. As I mentioned above , Florida has a good case to get them both by UFA , hockey is a small world and you can already bet that both players will get the pitch from their agent.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Seems like whenever Florida starts getting some good things going for them they do something dumb and take a step right back. This feels like they are about to do it again. Hopefully for them it's not true.

They took a few steps back long before this began developing, I'm sad to say.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Seems like whenever Florida starts getting some good things going for them they do something dumb and take a step right back. This feels like they are about to do it again. Hopefully for them it's not true.

This will be the 3rd year in a row missing the playoffs...what exactly are these "good things" you speak of?

Reactions: Jean Luc Discard

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Man now there is a player that could be a big blockbuster option for a team. He'd be expeeeeensive to get.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
What's the trade Panarin and Bob for Huberdeau? With a deal negotiated with the two by Tallon? Jackets go after Howard?

There's been buzz about Quick in Columbus.

A deal around Panarin and Bob for Huberdeau and then a separate deal for Quick makes a lot of sense for the Jackets. If they could bring another piece in during FA, they might not feel toooooo much of a bump.

Another reason I think it's Columbus is that FLA just brought Brassard in. The Jackets were interested in him with Pittsburgh. If the deal went being based around Panarin-for-Brassard to Bob and Panarin, that price obviously went up. Huberdeau would make sense. And FLA already has their C to replace Huberdeau in the lineup.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Yes but in this case the risk is much heavier to lose Huberdeau for potentially 20 games of players that aren't negotiating until the summer. Kessel wasn't a pending UFA and I can't see how the situation is comparable. As I mentioned above , Florida has a good case to get them both by UFA , hockey is a small world and you can already bet that both players will get the pitch from their agent.
The situation is comparable because of the principle that, again, risk can be negotiated. If Florida has a good case to get them both as UFAs, then why would they not spring for the availability of an extra year on the contract to keep the cap hit down. Just look at the Toronto situation--Toronto and Tavares decide to be coy about the impending signing so TML can keep all its picks and prospects, but they ended up blowing out a good deal of cap by forgoing the extra year and now everybody wants their share.

Springfield Isotopes

Dec 9, 2018
So when The Devils trade Johansson for a 2nd and prospect. They use that 2nd and Boyles 2nd, Macleod and Will Butcher for Huberdeau.. Macleod Will Butcher 2 x 2nd round picks and prospect

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
The situation is comparable because of the principle that, again, risk can be negotiated. If Florida has a good case to get them both as UFAs, then why would they not spring for the availability of an extra year on the contract to keep the cap hit down. Just look at the Toronto situation--Toronto and Tavares decide to be coy about the impending signing so TML can keep all its picks and prospects, but they ended up blowing out a good deal of cap by forgoing the extra year and now everybody wants their share.

In my opinion losing a player like Huberdeau for that benefit alone isn't worth it. Especially if it's only acquiring one of those pieces or they have to add to Huberdeau to get both. While still risking losing them both as UFAs in a season where they have a high chance of not making the playoffs.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Isles should be all over this

Huberdeau would be perfect for us.

What are Florida's needs? Cap space and futures?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Agreed. If you're going to cut costs don't immediately jump to the trading Huberdeau route. It's like running out of gas and deciding to buy a new car.
In fairness this does work for some things.

Used to buy a new printer every time mine ran outta ink. Was cheaper!!

Reactions: OmniCube

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
A 70 point winger on a very good deal.

He should bring back a very good Dman. Which is what they need.

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Doesn't make sense unless both Panarin and Bob are sign and trade. Because you risk losing Huby and both on July 1st. Take years to recover if that scenario were to happen.

Make more sense trading Huby for a Top 4 Dman then 2 UFA that we can sign for free in July.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Everybody saying "under the condition Panarin signs an extension you can have such and such"-He's going UFA july 1.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Huberdeau is a very good player on a very good contract. Don't know why they would even think about trading him. Even if Panarin and Bob are coming in the summer, having Huberdeau and Panarin as the star wingers to complement Barkov and Trocheck as the star centres makes for a very potent offensive core. Maybe if they get a really good cost controlled defenseman coming back?

You’ve gotta think it makes more sense to move out a guy like Hoffman if they really need salary gone

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Huberdeau for Fowler +?

Albeit Florida already has their Fowler type in Yandle. They need an LD though

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Idk Florida probably has the most experience on old goalies named Bob. But tbh if signing bob gets you panarin you make it work. They should just wait till the off season tho and then trade whatever valuable forward asset that gets pushed out for a dman or futures tho
Pretty much this. General consensus was that Hoffman or Huberdeau get moved for a dman if Panarin signs.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Doesn't make sense unless both Panarin and Bob are sign and trade. Because you risk losing Huby and both on July 1st. Take years to recover if that scenario were to happen.

Make more sense trading Huby for a Top 4 Dman then 2 UFA that we can sign for free in July.

Makes me think Huberdeau is a post-deadline, pre-draft deal if they get deals worked out with Panarin and Bob.

Reactions: Beezer

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Are Bob and Panarin, like, demanding a trade now so that CBJ gets something back when they walk? Otherwise, I dont this would make no sense. At all. Moving a supremely talented 25 year-old (who is at a PPG this season) signed for another 4 years at under 6M AAV. That right there is gold.

If you need to move money to sign them, move Hoffman. I dont care if you just traded for him, he's almost 30. By the time the Panthers are seasoned and ready to chase a cup, he might be showing signs of decline. And the Panthers will have almost 25 million in cap space this summer(I know they have some raises to hand out and depth to replenish) but If they have to start moving valuable pieces just to fit these guys in, I question the wisdom of chasing both of them in the first place.

A 70 point winger on a very good deal.

He should bring back a very good Dman. Which is what they need.

Exactly. Give Carolina, Nashville and Anaheim a call. Winnipeg for Trouba, even. If that (followed by the signings) are the deals they make, that would be a tough one to swallow but much easier to understand.

Last edited:

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
Why would FLA trade Hub for Panarin when they expect to sign him in the summer? They wouldn’t.

They don’t have real playoff aspirations this season, so it would only make sense to move Hubs to shore up other areas of the roster.

I’d love to add Hubs and Brassard to the Stars, but I’m not sure Dallas has the assets to deal. Faksa, Janmark, ++ maybe..

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Makes me think Huberdeau is a post-deadline, pre-draft deal if they get deals worked out with Panarin and Bob.
This would make more sense. I have no idea how DT could trade him unless he was 100% sure Panarin was coming here, which I doubt is certain at this juncture.

Why would FLA trade Hub for Panarin when they expect to sign him in the summer? They wouldn’t.

They don’t have real playoff aspirations this season, so it would only make sense to move Hubs to shore up other areas of the roster.

I’d love to add Hubs and Brassard to the Stars, but I’m not sure Dallas has the assets to deal. Faksa, Janmark, ++ maybe..

Need a dman badly. If Panarin comes, Huberdeau or Hoffman are 100% gone.

Reactions: Finnish your Czech

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
People like to speculate, but a majority of the time, they don’t have a clue.

Panthers are pretty eager to move on from Reimer (he was pulled last night after a dismal 2nd, 2 goals on 3 shots) and Lou isn’t getting younger. Reimer has crappy cap hit, teams need to be enticed to take someone like him on.

Panthers clearly are hungry for Panarin and Bob, improves goal tending and gives us another elite scorer with Hoffman. Hoff is due a new contract after next season and Brassard has looked good here.

IMO, they’re looking to be free of Reimer’s rubbish play and contract, in comes Huberdeau.

Love Hubs, but he’s not been as good lately, several fans have questioned both his effort and his knack for holding onto the puck too long or looking to pass first.

Much rather we keep him and figure it out with Bob and Panarin, but I won’t be too upset if he’s gone for those two.

Still need a top 2 or at least top 4 defenseman, though.

Reactions: td_ice and CPTN71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad