Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Redemption Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018
Sometimes wonder if fans from other teams lurk on the Habs threads and wonder what the heck this nonsense is constantly against Drouin.
Any fan of another team watching the Canadiens will see that Drouin has been playing great and is a serious offensive threat against their team.
They must wonder why a handful of dug-in detractors are dying on a hill with their anti-Drouin notions.

Its true of every year and pretty much every team from what ive seen. There's alway a whipping boy or two. Usually not because of what he does or doesnt do but more because what the fans feel like he should be able to do. Drouin is a career 50 point / season player. He scores at that rate almost every year & continues to do that. He's paid like a 50 point scorer. Sure, you can look at his skill-set and say "man he should be able to _____" but the reality is, he doesnt and he probably wont. He is fine as "a guy" and not "the guy." This year he can be "a guy" and i think that will help.

Its encouraging he's starting to play a better defensive game & I think playing with Suzuki and Anderson will help in that regard too but im sure the same guys that complain about him now will complain about him forever. I had an argument recently with someone who said (and i quote) "I dont care if Drouin scores 50 goals and 100 points, i'll still hate him and say he's a waste of a roster spot." Not much you can do to argue with that.

Cold Coffee

Elite/Franchise/Generational/BPA
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal

Drouin was supposed to be so f***ing good for us

He’s been solid this year but still not living up to the hype

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
He needs to challenge defenders more, take the puck to the middle of the ice. I know he's terrified of taking risks and committing errors, but he needs to use his full arsenal.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Drouin has the highest GF% 5on5 on the team so far into the season so he's having a really good year.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Drouin does the Markov thing, he's the passer on the PP, sets up the blasts and one timers. Caulfield would do well with that kind of service as has Anderson and Weber.

Drouin might be trying to replicate Markov, but he is clearly not succeeding. I have never seen a less reliable passer on the PP. Markov could thread a pass for an unlikely goal. Suzuki can also do that. Drouin not so much.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Drouin might be trying to replicate Markov, but he is clearly not succeeding. I have never seen a less reliable passer on the PP. Markov could thread a pass for an unlikely goal. Suzuki can also do that. Drouin not so much.

Drouin also can't even make routine passes more often than not, let alone brilliant ones. Plus he gets knocked off of the puck for turnovers often...

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Drouin also can't even make routine passes more often than not, let alone brilliant ones. Plus he gets knocked off of the puck for turnovers often...
I will say he makes passes no one on the team does. Some great passes. But he's so dam weak in the corners. If he has the puck he'll be knocked off of it. I'd rather have him floating around than pretending to engage players in the corner.

Reactions: montreal

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

He doesn't have Markov's hockey IQ and it's not even close. Markov was one of the most scientific player across the whole league.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Jake Gardiner was a stats darling not too long ago as well...every year there are many who, if you don't watch them play, you'd think they were tearing it up...

There's a very high possibility Drouin could turn into a Benoit Pouliot or Yakupov stats wise. All kinds of skill, but can't put it together and then fades into oblivion. As long as we don't extend him, I guess.

If his production really dips again, as it tends to do in the 2nd half of the season, I could easily see him being exposed in the expansion draft.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
There's a very high possibility Drouin could turn into a Benoit Pouliot or Yakupov stats wise. All kinds of skill, but can't put it together and then fades into oblivion. As long as we don't extend him, I guess.

If his production really dips again, as it tends to do in the 2nd half of the season, I could easily see him being exposed in the expansion draft.

If Seattle took Drouin instead of Allen, I would walk to Seattle (I'm from Nova Scotia) and hug each and every member of their management...:laugh:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If Seattle took Drouin instead of Allen, I would walk to Seattle (I'm from Nova Scotia) and hug each and every member of their management...:laugh:

Even if Allen isn't able to be a starter, if he can continue to be this good of a backup, that's a great asset for a team to have.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Up to that point, he's been pretty good. Not Toffoli-Anderson-Suzuki good, but next tier. He's playing like a 5,5M guy. I don't complain. Hope it last tho lol

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I think he's been more than just good. Very good even. I do want more shots and more goals from him though. I don't care who scores when we're scoring but when we need goals not shooting is a bad move.

Reactions: Redux91

Aces on the road

Oct 27, 2020
Think Armia suits him better than Anderson. Anderson flying around but Armia does the dirty work and would open space for Drouin, what he needs badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->