Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Redemption Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'm not defending Drouin but injuries can absolutely be a legitimate excuse. They aren't an "excuse for weaklings" you sound childish saying something like that. Gallagher has 100% been taken down by his injuries but he worked through them. His shot was not even half as good for a while after breaking both hands. People were saying he was declining. Again i'm not defending Drouin because I don't think injuries but still.
Drouin was also rushed back from injury last year. He played like dog shit, was clearly in pain every time you saw his face on the bench, and even Weise said that Drouin told him that he still feels like he can't make the plays he normally makes.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
#1 problem? He's afraid of contact.

#2 problem? Our coaches are coaching him to play safe.

#3 problem? I don't think Drouin is hungry enough to push himself to remain at a high level of play.

#4 problem? He looks for pass 90% of the time and I rather see a 60/40 split. Work on your shot Drouin!

Problems, problems, problems. :laugh:

Reactions: ultra63

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The problem I see is what does a new GM do with Drouin should Bergevin be replaced in the off-season? Do you try and trade him for what you can get? You likely won't get a Serghachev back but maybe there is a GM out there that is willing to give something decent up as he feels Drouin could fit well into his current group of forwards. Buy him out? At a time where the cap will remain pretty flat for a few years, can a team afford to carry his buyout price tag as wasted cap space? Maybe leave him unprotected and hope Seattle takes him? Of course this means losing him for nothing like the buyout but at least there is no lost cap space.

Or does a new GM find a way to get Drouin's ass into gear for more than a few games at a time? Since he likes to pass and let's face it he is usually good at it, would a line with him on the left and Caufield on the right maybe find some chemistry?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The problem I see is what does a new GM do with Drouin should Bergevin be replaced in the off-season? Do you try and trade him for what you can get? You likely won't get a Serghachev back but maybe there is a GM out there that is willing to give something decent up as he feels Drouin could fit well into his current group of forwards. Buy him out? At a time where the cap will remain pretty flat for a few years, can a team afford to carry his buyout price tag as wasted cap space? Maybe leave him unprotected and hope Seattle takes him? Of course this means losing him for nothing like the buyout but at least there is no lost cap space.

Or does a new GM find a way to get Drouin's ass into gear for more than a few games at a time? Since he likes to pass and let's face it he is usually good at it, would a line with him on the left and Caufield on the right maybe find some chemistry?

Honestly unless Drouin was secretly nursing an injury this year, the Habs are probably better off buying our Drouin and replacing him with one of Caulfield or Poehling or Evans.

This should save a little money and slightly improve the roster, but more importantly it will get rid of a distraction on the team. Drouin is turning into a gong show, and he makes the team worse Desharnais-style by absorbing PP and other offensive minutes.

Megaforce

If this is a solid season, I'd hate to see what a bad one looks like.

And I am a long-avowed fan of him. Somehow.

You're no fan of Drouin if you deliberately ignore the obvious stat showing he leads the team in setting up goals. He only tailed off since the break. We always lose when he's not in the lineup. You saw how dismal they were without him.

Jul 6, 2016
Ducharme said that they did not see him since a few days... He is staying in his room... Hard to say if Habs management are hiding an injury OR IF Drouin is in one of his pouting sessions because he was placed on a 4th line and lost his PP duties.

IF it is the last one, we won't see him in a Habs jersey again. He will be traded in the off season, or waived in a near future. If he is not picked on waivers, I doubt he would report to AHL Rocket. Then Habs can just terminate his contract and he becomes a UFA.

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Honestly unless Drouin was secretly nursing an injury this year, the Habs are probably better off buying our Drouin and replacing him with one of Caulfield or Poehling or Evans.

This should save a little money and slightly improve the roster, but more importantly it will get rid of a distraction on the team. Drouin is turning into a gong show, and he makes the team worse Desharnais-style by absorbing PP and other offensive minutes.

Buying out Drouin costs a little over 1.8 against the cap for 4 years. I can't see a situation where if we retained 1.8m we couldn't trade him. At 3.7m for 2 years it should be easy to find a team willing to take a chance on him.

I think the bigger obstacle to Drouin being traded/bought out is Bergevin's pride. Bergevin wants something good back so that he doesn't look like a total failure.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Ducharme said that they did not see him since a few days... He is staying in his room... Hard to say if Habs management are hiding an injury OR IF Drouin is in one of his pouting sessions because he was placed on a 4th line and lost his PP duties.

IF it is the last one, we won't see him in a Habs jersey again. He will be traded in the off season, or waived in a near future. If he is not picked on waivers, I doubt he would report to AHL Rocket. Then Habs can just terminate his contract and he becomes a UFA.
Sure sounds like he is sooking.....we all know this is his go to......
Stevie Y is still laughing at Bergevin.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
It irks me that management has stood and watched as Drouin’s value plummeted to zero. If they had any foresight they would have saw right away that they lost this trade and tried to salvage at least something for him.

Talking about buying out a player for whom we gave up a top pairing defenseman doesn’t sit well with me so I hope we can turn him into another asset.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Buying out Drouin costs a little over 1.8 against the cap for 4 years. I can't see a situation where if we retained 1.8m we couldn't trade him. At 3.7m for 2 years it should be easy to find a team willing to take a chance on him.

I think the bigger obstacle to Drouin being traded/bought out is Bergevin's pride. Bergevin wants something good back so that he doesn't look like a total failure.

I think Bergevin would trade Drouin if there was a Domi/Galchenyuk swap on the table.

Reactions: Sorinth

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
You're no fan of Drouin if you deliberately ignore the obvious stat showing he leads the team in setting up goals. He only tailed off since the break. We always lose when he's not in the lineup. You saw how dismal they were without him.

...He was drafted by Tampa and isn't the only Quebecois player on the team.

Reactions: MillanDynasty

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Yzerman knew what he was doing when he fleeced dumb Bergevin.

Drouin is a bust. At 26 he is not getting better.

Reactions: BLONG7

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
It's been way too quiet hasn't it............very telling.

Well, didn't Ducharme say no one has talked to him, he's just in his room??...does that not sound like pouting??...figure if he was seriously ill at least someone would be checking on him making sure he's OK...sounds more like a Domi situation...

Reactions: BLONG7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad