Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Redemption Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
It certainly seems that way.............feel bad for him, but if you can't cut it, then retire. The habs do not need a guy who is not fully engaged. That doesn't mean he has not been running around and seemingly trying, they need a guy of his talent to be engaged, skating and getting it DONE.
Any of us who have played team sports, know for a fact when the most talented player in the group doesn't really care, or try, to produce results, and is snarky about it............creates alot of trouble in the room, and for the team.

I think the comment, fired at that reporter, has caused a bigger stir for the team, than JD realizes.
When Ray Ferrero made his two cents known, boy as a player, he said he was not impressed with that comment.
I think Drouin does care. He's just not a strong individual. I'm sure if you looked at your workplace you'd see people who cannot handle pressure very well. Drouin is one of those guys.
This may be more serious of a situation than the team is letting on. (yes I am speculating, I have no proof).

Reactions: BLONG7

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The pressure of being a Quebecois player in Montréal is insanely high. It could get to any athlete.

This is a player who didn't want to join Halifax because he wanted to stay playing at a lower level with his friends.

It's quite possible that he just doesn't have the mental fortitude for a big hockey market. This could definitely be the beginning of the end for Jonathan in Montreal. While I think he's been severely overrated here on the Habs board and given too many free passes, health and mental health is important and I hope we can facilitate something that leads to him being able to pursue whatever career he wants free of mental health issues.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
This is a player who didn't want to join Halifax because he wanted to stay playing at a lower level with his friends.

It's quite possible that he just doesn't have the mental fortitude for a big hockey market. This could definitely be the beginning of the end for Jonathan in Montreal. While I think he's been severely overrated here on the Habs board and given too many free passes, health and mental health is important and I hope we can facilitate something that leads to him being able to pursue whatever career he wants free of mental health issues.
But it also happened to Brisebois, Richer, Theodore.. Oh well. Hope he's ok.

Reactions: dinodebino

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
I fear a deep depression.

He had a very good start in January and February and then in March he was worse than ever before.

Bergevin said before the season that Jo was a very good person but he was sensible and critics was tough for him

You have to be strong in this business but I am still sad for him.

What a player he was in juniors..the best I have seen with my own eyes after Crosby and Radulov in theQ in the last 20 years.

I was sure that would have a very good career..well..

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
The pressure of being a Quebecois player in Montréal is insanely high. It could get to any athlete.
Yet, I do not think it is any different than the pressure local soccer players must deal with in England, Spain, Italy, etc. Marcus Rashford plays for Man Utd., was born and raised in Manchester, and he's pretty much the most engaged and active player in the community. Tabloids, press, you name it.

Whatever Drouin is dealing with, I hope he returns back to 100% health. However, if it's pressure-related, he's not cut for big hockey markets, not just Montreal. That's my two cents.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
When he missed that open net the other game you can tell he was super mad at himself, like beyond what you usually see. Think he was sitting by himself on the bench after period ended too. No teammate went to see him.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
As if this only happens in Montreal.

I think people in here aren't the problem. We moan, but there's a limit to what people will say before getting blasted. The other platforms are so much worse. I've read stuff that are truly disgusting elswhere (facebook for example).

But hey maybe it's just me, there were some dumb comments made here as well.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

It also didn't help the pressure he put on himself by forcing his way out of Tampa or Bergevin's pressure on him. This wasn't a Danault situation.

I hate that I saw this happening when the trade happened. I really feel for him (I've certainly dealt with mental health issues). I hope he can recover and find his game again.

Reactions: Et le But

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Well said...

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Idiots who mercilessly attacked this kid got what they wanted. I'm ashamed to be a Habs fan.

I don't think people paying the high price for season tickets are idiots for complaining about an employee not doing his job properly. What happens to JD was his own choice. He could have reported to the AHL right away many years ago, grow there as a player while being shielded from pressure, then starting slowing in the NHL 2-3 years layer on a 3rd line again without much pressure and slowly climb TB's lineup while getting more experience and maturity.

Instead of doing that he acted like someone who was there already, was traded to Montreal, signed a big contract and now with good reason the Monteral Canadiens clients who spend lot of money to watch games hold him accountable for his lack of production which is perfectly fine. Life is hard JD will have to learn to deal with it or else this job is not for him. He always have the option to retire and do something else like normal people. The option is there and it's his own choice.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
I think people in here aren't the problem. We moan, but there's a limit to what people will say before getting blasted. The other platforms are so much worse. I've read stuff that are truly disgusting elswhere (facebook for example).

But hey maybe it's just me, there were some dumb comments made here as well.
But that shit takes place in the entire world of sports. Not just Montreal.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
I don't think people paying the high price for season tickets are idiots for complaining about an employee not doing his job properly. What happens to JD was his own choice. He could have reported to the AHL right away many years ago, grow there as a player while being shielded from pressure, then starting slowing in the NHL 2-3 years layer on a 3rd line again without much pressure and slowly climb TB's lineup while getting more experience and maturity.

Instead of doing that he acted like someone who was there already, was traded to Montreal, signed a big contract and now with good reason the Monteral Canadiens clients who spend lot of money to watch games hold him accountable for his lack of production which is perfectly fine. Life is hard JD will have to learn to deal with it or else this job is not for him. He always have the option to retire and do something else like normal people. The option is there and it's his own choice.
At the same time, we do not know what is wrong with Drouin. I think we're jumping the gun here on the claims of depression and mental health issues. I will not write more until we're provided more information.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
But that shit takes place in the entire world of sports. Not just Montreal.

It happens in almost every place sure. But I feel some fanbase are way harsher than others. I remember reading St-Louis and Colombus forums in here and people just seemed way way more tolerant towards players and positive. Like night and day.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
I also fear depression here. The pressure on local guys is huge and I just don't get why Habs fan tend to use them as scapegoats. Its a constant thing: Desharnais, Danault, Drouin, Theodore and Brisebois was the worst case. It's shameful really.

Drouin's trade was bad. But how is that his fault? He did not ask to be traded for Sergachev? Drouin has a huge skill set, but it does not translate enough on the pts board. Ok but people here end up hating him as if he is a net negative on the ice or as if he was taking the ice time from othe players.

Local players here about was is said about them and its creates ridiculous pressure, people need ot be aware of that and motivate the players instead of trashing him.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018

This is such a moronic line of thought I cannot even begin to fathom how you can believe such things.

I honestly hope that you never struggle with mental health, that way of thinking is a very popular one and most people who think this way do not follow this reasoning in their general life.

Retirement or career changes are not easy feats, especially when it is something you are very passionate about.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
It happens in almost every place sure. But I feel some fanbase are way harsher than others. I remember reading St-Louis and Colombus forums in here and people just seemed way way more tolerant towards players and positive. Like night and day.
How many members are on their boards though. I don't know if your comparison is correct...
Anyway, I wish the best for Drouin.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
How many members are on their boards though. I don't know if your comparison is correct...
Anyway, I wish the best for Drouin.

It's a fair point. They're not that much and they feel like a smaller community sharing the same type of mindset. Hard to do with loads of fans. Seems the bigger the fanbase the harsher they are on players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad