Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Habs have to play Drouin and hope he is mentally strong and productive before they can entertain a trade. Trading him now is really not an option as the return would be an egregious capdump.

The positive is that Drouin can easily up his trade value by contributing to a 50+ point pace. That should be easily doable given his historical production and talent.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The animosity towards Drouin is huge from parts of the fanbase. We're not talking about constructive criticism or anything close to that he should handle like a man, as some are suggesting.

Either posters haven't been reading the vitriol against Drouin that just gets personal or are deliberately ignoring it.

I don't know what the probe with Drouin was. For all I know it could have been elephant ballsack syndrome that made simply walking difficult for him -- that's how little genuine info has come out concernant his cryptic condition.

Personally, I'm nor réassurer to hear he is simply coming back for training camp without more context, but suggesting this or that about an allegedly washed up or chronically fragile 26-yr-old is just fuelled by a dislike of the player to begin with, IMO.

Nothing to build a lineup around with certainty, for sure, given the complete lack of information, but not an automatic fail either, until we know more.

At his best, Drouin is not a bad addition to the lineup as a much needed talented LW:

Hoffman - Suzuki - Caufield
Toffoli - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Drouin - Poehling - Anderson
Lehkonen - Evans - Armia
Perreault, Paquette

On paper, at least, given the skill level, how can you not like this lineup of forwards?

On the Suzuki line, both Hoffman and Caufield are pure snipers with an extremely intelligent C that has great vision and passing skills. The wingers both like to migrate to their offsides to exploit their accrurate shots. This will make for scoring opportunities from anywhere on the ice in the O-zone. Hard to defend against.

Toffoli gives KK a real shot option, with Gallagher drawing attention from opposing Ds in front of the net, allowing Tofolli to get lost somewhere on the ice from which position he can take one-times unhindered. KK can dit the puck out and set up both wingers and support Gallagher for loose puck in front of the opposing net.

Drouin can spring Anderson to use his speed and Poehling and Anderson bring size to Shelter Drouin. Anderson and Drouin bring speed to the line.

Lehkonen - Evans - Armia is the epitome of a forechecking fourth line that is strong on puck possession, enough to wear out opposing Ds and improve the production of the entire lineup as the games wear on.

Both Paquette (at C) and Perreault (at W, first and foremost, but at C as well in a pinch) are great depth additions in case of injuries as both Lehkonen and Armia can play up in the depth chart as needed.

As an added bonus, on the Suzuki line, Hoffman adds speed and Caufield, while not a roadrunner, has réceptive breakaway speed that can enable him to shed a flat-footed D.

I like the skill, the speed, the size, the forechecking and the puck possession skills of this forward lineup, provided Drouin is back in top form. If not, we are short a skilled LW. I would have been ecstatic if we had been the ones to acquire Saad for 4.5M.

Hoffman - Suzuki - Caufield
Toffoli - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Saad - Poehling - Anderson
Lehkonen - Evans - Armia
Perreault, Paquette

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I'm rooting for Drouin! The kid is obviously very hard on himself and wants very much to do well. Any of his faults are not for lack of trying. He's got loads of skills and speed and is an asset to this team. I think he is going to bounce back and I'm rooting for him.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I'm rooting for Drouin! The kid is obviously very hard on himself and wants very much to do well. Any of his faults are not for lack of trying. He's got loads of skills and speed and is an asset to this team. I think he is going to bounce back and I'm rooting for him.

One can only hope -- for everyone's sake, whatever it leads to, in the end.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
If he put more goals this year, he can be a 60 points player.

...and if my my aunt had a sac, she'd be my uncle...:dunno:

...find it funny how Floaty still gets the benefit of the doubt around here after he's shown exactly what kind of player he is...a soft as baby shyte perimeter passer with no shot left and no drive to do anything but float...should we still be waiting for Hudon to become that 30 goal guy that we wouldn't trade for ROR??...:facepalm:

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
...Marchand & Perron play a gritty game of Will & Skill...when was the last time Floaty did??...

We don't know with players. Drouin have the talent to explode, that's no doubt. He play well with Suzuki and Anderson, he make good passing ability. At PP he can pass the puck. With a player like Hoffman and Caufield, we need the passing ability of Drouin.

Drouin isn't perfect, but in the bubble he show flashes with Suzuki. Play well before his injuries last year.

Maybe he can comeback and play better than never...

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Drouin play better with Tampa because they know how circles the puck.

Drouin need players with a good circles the puck.

Suzuki, Caufield, Hoffman, KK... can circles the puck. Now we have the players who can make great plays.

Reactions: Kojo

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
We don't know with players. Drouin have the talent to explode, that's no doubt. He play well with Suzuki and Anderson, he make good passing ability. At PP he can pass the puck. With a player like Hoffman and Caufield, we need the passing ability of Drouin.

Drouin isn't perfect, but in the bubble he show flashes with Suzuki. Play well before his injuries last year.

Maybe he can comeback and play better than never...

...and maybe not...that's the thing, all we can go on is his history and that tells us that he ISN'T a Marchand or Perron or any of those players; he's a soft perimeter player who doesn't have the grit or determination of those other guys...he can play well in small spurts before falling back into the same bad habits and lackluster play that has followed him his entire career...and whatever his problems/issues are, he doesn't take well to criticism AT ALL; didn't with the Mooseheads in Junior, didn't with Tampa, and now doesn't with us...this market is not for him, better he try and rejuvenate his career outside of the intense scrutiny here in Montreal...

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I liked Drouin when he was withTampa. Hopefully he will be the comeback story
When I watch his Tampa highlights, I find that he looked more dynamic back then. I believe putting him as a 1C in Montreal + all that went with it, changed him as a player. Kucherov said he liked playing with Drouin, but that they were then put on separate lines for whatever reason. I'm mostly concerned about the media jumping on Jonathan the second he steps in near the Bell Center, unless he does a Zoom interview before then. Hope he puts it together. Maybe that pause was very beneficial for him. We'll see.

Back on the media thing, I think the additions of a few french canadian players will help delegate some of the media work to the newer guys.

Woland

Mar 10, 2007
Montreal
...the better question would be is he ready to put in the work to become a more complete hockey player??...cuz if not, he's not the asset that many here continue to believe he is...
also true...some people think that since he is "apparently" going better, that he will finally become actually a star player......I'm frankly not interested in the Drouin of the past few years

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I hope you are right...........................saying this with zero expectations.....he has never been a 70pt player, and now in his 8th season, you are calling it. ???

If i'm not mistaken, it's barely the first time he's called that.

He's probably called the same thing in every season Drouin's been here. Add the word prorated for last season.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
I'm not putting any expectations on Drouin..
Not even sure he will play for the Habs to begin with next season.

That said I am cheering for him to do so and be a capable player next season.
Drouin has a complete negative value in a trade right now, so we have everything to gain from him playing since we won't be able to LTIR him.

One last thing, please stop puting him at centre position...

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I'm not putting any expectations on Drouin..
Not even sure he will play for the Habs to begin with next season.

That said I am cheering for him to do so and be a capable player next season.
Drouin has a complete negative value in a trade right now, so we have everything to gain from him playing since we won't be able to LTIR him.

One last thing, please stop puting him at centre position...
Lol I could see MB and Ducharme slipping him in at 2C over KK like nothing ever happened. Lmao I hope it happens, just to see all the meltdowns it would cause on here :laugh:. For the record, that would really piss me off too, but not as much as it would make me laugh.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
We need Drouin healthy and with the talented group of W he will not be the only one we rely on. I think if he starts with like Evans and Anderson it could help.

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield
Hoffman-KK-Gallagher
Drouin-Evans-Anderson
Lehkonen-Perreault-Armia

1st PP

Caufield-Suzuki-Hoffman
Petry-Drouin

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
We need Drouin healthy and with the talented group of W he will not be the only one we rely on. I think if he starts with like Evans and Anderson it could help.

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield
Hoffman-KK-Gallagher
Drouin-Evans-Anderson
Lehkonen-Perreault-Armia

1st PP

Caufield-Suzuki-Hoffman
Petry-Drouin

We haven't solely relied on him in years. For at least 3 years, we've many wingers performing a lot better than him giving and giving us production.

The overreliance is a media thing. They rely way too much on him to become some superstar media darling messiah, for their own selfish needs. And they stomped on him when they realize he wasnt their dearly beloved messiah. The media here is puke worthy.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I thought he was gone for sure, but then the info came out that he was well and wanted to play, so it seemed we are stuck with him.

Now that we signed Hoffman, I find it difficult to come up with a lineup that includes Drouin, Hoffman and Caufield.

I'd be surprised if he's a Hab come training camp.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I thought he was gone for sure, but then the info came out that he was well and wanted to play, so it seemed we are stuck with him.

Now that we signed Hoffman, I find it difficult to come up with a lineup that includes Drouin, Hoffman and Caufield.

I'd be surprised if he's a Hab come training camp.
It makes sense, and best for all, if he is used to get a PMD....probably a very young puck mover who can't crack a good teams lineup....we will not get a big return obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad