Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Guy Laflamme edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Hold on. I'm on record as saying that I dislike Drouin & Patches as hockey players. But those stats are a pattern for every hockey player.
Truth but what about trying to fight through it? What about doing little things defensively when the points aren't there? What about showing some hustle on a back check, things that coaches will often mention in a post gamer when everyone else is raving about goals and assists. It's called being a professional. No one is questioning his talent but there is much more to it than just that.

Reactions: Pickles

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
We also need a per game or per 60 to really figure out what value this has. Plus more predictive stats.

Montreal has played:

Drouin:

19 games against 1-10, he has 12 points (with a third coming against Winnipeg that one game) (.63 ppg)

18 games against 11-20, he has 9 points (0.5 ppg)

22 games against 21-30, he has 25 points (1.14 ppg)

Domi:

19 games against 1-10, he has 16 points (with a third coming against Winnipeg that one game) (.84 ppg)

18 games against 11-20, he has 14 points (0.78 ppg)

22 games against 21-30, he has 21 points (0.95 ppg)

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
All the players you name have nothing to do with Drouin.

I'll bet you than on any other team, Lehkonen would be sitting or playing sporadically on the 4th line. Mete would never be a first pairing D. Armia would have no business in the top 2 lines, nor on the PP. Danault would be a third line C. Reilly would be sitting, probably be a 7th or 8th D.

Drouin is a top 6 player, more is expected of him than the players you named.

He’s about to have a career year and is 23. 2nd leading scorer on the team. People here act like he is the problem whenever they lose.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He’s about to have a career year and is 23. 2nd leading scorer on the team. People here act like he is the problem whenever they lose.

He's not the problem when they lose, he seems to be a problem when he commits turnovers that lead to opposition goals or where he coughs up the puck as the last man with the puck. He needs to reduce his glaring, recurring errors.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He's not the problem when they lose, he seems to be a problem when he commits turnovers that lead to opposition goals or where he coughs up the puck as the last man with the puck. He needs to reduce his glaring, recurring errors.

I agree. But others are going overboard with their hatred of him when the problems that exist are bigger.

Reactions: Runner77

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Having a career year in points doesn't mean much when you're not helping the team wins. That's just an individualist stats. Using his stats to analyze his season is very misleading. Everyone who sees him play every games knows that he's not having that good of a season. He's still having the same problem which is his implication, decision making and work ethic.

He's our most paid, that has the most offensive opportunities.. It's kinda normal that he leads the team in points.

There's a reason why he's our only top 9 forwards in the minus.

And there's also a world outside HFboards that think Drouin is not having that great of a season like you seem to think but in reality, he's not as good as his production indicates.

I'm surprised that for a guy that HATED Pacioretty, you feel the need to defend Drouin. Pacioretty despite being our scoring leader season after season, people who watched him play were not satisfied with his game and implication.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Competition has something to do with it. Leafs are a good team, Nashville has probably the best D in the league and then there's the Lightning. Not suprising that he'd disappear in some of those games.

He's right at the age where superstars suddenly break out. The Winnipeg game was absolutely dominant. It's the first time I've seen him be able to do this... I'm inclined to give him the rest of the season to see what happens here.
Exactly. Facing D like what Tampa Bay or Nashville, Drouin disapear or is creating turnovers. He's always in negative when game ends. Versus mid-range or bottom teams he will be delivering signifiant points. My point of view : he can do okay in a complete season but not the player you want when play-offs comes. Or to say differently, facing very good team avoid that type of player, his play is too risky.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Exactly. Facing D like what Tampa Bay or Nashville, Drouin disapear or is creating turnovers. He's always in negative when game ends. Versus mid-range or bottom teams he will be delivering signifiant points. My point of view : he can do okay in a complete season but not the player you want when play-offs comes. Or to say differently, facing very good team avoid that type of player, his play is too risky.
LOL

You missed his platoon vs the pens.....yeah a really bad team..

I watched the 7 games and drouin was the best player for Tampa the entire series...

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Rien à faire avec Jo. He's just like Steph Richer without the 50 goals.

Go watch the playoffs stats of richer and kovalev.....yeah the lazy players....

They were the best on the ice for the habs in playoffs ....and drouin was the best for Tampa 3 years ago

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

They were the best on the ice for the habs in playoffs ....and drouin was the best for Tampa 3 years ago

If Pat Burns was alive, he would tell you about Richer's "intensity". I know because he told me! He said whenever Steph would move his gloves and touch his elbow pads in the same sequence, he knew Richer was not in his game. I found that very funny.

Reactions: Runner77

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
If Pat Burns was alive, he would tell you about Richer's "intensity". I know because he told me! He said whenever Steph would move his gloves and touch his elbow pads in the same sequence, he knew Richer was not in his game. I found that very funny.

I am 43 Years old and I saw richer' prime. You are right ....I know richer par cœur.......but....he was a money playeR.

You clearly never seen richer in playoffs to say that....he was a beast in playoffs with Montreal and New Jersey.

In 88 Michael thelven broke his finger....richer was everywhere on the ice vs Boston.

I remember in 1990, Pierre Turgeon was suppose to be the man....during the series sabres, habs.......again richer was the best by far.

Same thing with kovalev. Guy Carbonneau told me 5 years ago that he was happy to gave him on his team in playoffs because he was a money player.

That kind of players have the talent to elevate their play.....it is not the case for the heros in mtl like begin,Byron, etcc

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I am 43 Years old and I saw richer' prime. You are right ....I know richer par cœur.......but....he was a money playeR.

You clearly never seen richer in playoffs to say that....he was a beast in playoffs with Montreal and New Jersey.

In 88 Michael thelven broke his finger....richer was everywhere on the ice vs Boston.

I remember in 1990, Pierre Turgeon was suppose to be the man....during the series sabres, habs.......again richer was the best by far.

Same thing with kovalev. Guy Carbonneau told me 5 years ago that he was happy to gave him on his team in playoffs because he was a money player.

That kind of players have the talent to elevate their play.....it is not the case for the heros in mtl like begin,Byron, etcc
TBH, I loved Richer. And he's a good human being. Hey, no one has come close to his 2 x 50 goals since!

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Only 2 player in history of the habs have more than one 50 goals season...

Lafleur...and Richer.

It s sad because Stephane had mental problems but Jees...he was a beast and so spectacular.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

I remember other players from TB that year. Kucherov and Stamkos (on one leg) made me more impression than Drouin. You think Drouin can be constant more than one round PO? Maybe yes and maybe not (or surely not) (I'm not calling you Shirley don't be offended, lol).
Again tonight he takes bad decisions and causes nightmare to contain counter-attack from Columbus. By chance Julien is bald 'cuz he would loose hair watching Drouin.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
There was time when Richer was not in his game and times when Richer was in his game. When he was, nothing could stop him, he was a beast. He had the most impressive slap-shot goals I ever saw.

Reactions: dinodebino

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement

No matter how many points he gets, he dosen't play well when he isn't scoring points. Our expectations are higher than this. Even people that don't even watch hockey all that often, notice that he's sometimes lazy and makes bad turnovers. Last player I saw taking so many nights off like that was Kovalev. So much talent but so frustrating to watch when he's off his game.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
I remember other players from TB that year. Kucherov and Stamkos (on one leg) made me more impression than Drouin. You think Drouin can be constant more than one round PO? Maybe yes and maybe not (or surely not) (I'm not calling you Shirley don't be offended, lol).
Again tonight he takes bad decisions and causes nightmare to contain counter-attack from Columbus. By chance Julien is bald 'cuz he would loose hair watching Drouin.

Unbelievable....do you know now many games stamkos played in their entire 3 rounds?????

One.....one.. the seventh game vs pitt...

You clearly did not watched tampa during those series in 2016.

I did....and their best player was...drouin

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
The best is when he has a good stretch of games and there's excitement that it's his new norm. Nah. Every player will have a stretch of good games - mean reversion means Drouin will go back to being his usual scrubby self.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
If MB isn't attempting to trade him before this deadline he will regret it later on. Someone who knows hockey well enough knows that this sort of player at that salary holds little to no value. What he creates offensively gets nullify by his continuous decision-making errors and poor defensive game.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Having a career year in points doesn't mean much when you're not helping the team wins. That's just an individualist stats. Using his stats to analyze his season is very misleading. Everyone who sees him play every games knows that he's not having that good of a season. He's still having the same problem which is his implication, decision making and work ethic.

He's our most paid, that has the most offensive opportunities.. It's kinda normal that he leads the team in points.

There's a reason why he's our only top 9 forwards in the minus.

And there's also a world outside HFboards that think Drouin is not having that great of a season like you seem to think but in reality, he's not as good as his production indicates.

I'm surprised that for a guy that HATED Pacioretty, you feel the need to defend Drouin. Pacioretty despite being our scoring leader season after season, people who watched him play were not satisfied with his game and implication.

Because when Pacioretty joined the league, he was a completely different player. Then he evolved into someone never willing to pay the price to do anything. Didn’t dig for pucks, didn’t hit, never blocked shots. However when he saw an empty net he threw all of that aside and skated like a Balrog was chasing him. He was even worse in the playoffs.

Drouin is what he is. This is the player I expected. It’s fristrating sometimes, mostly the weak passes, but sometimes it’s exciting. It’s a lot like Kovalev. We all wanted the effort every game but it just wasn’t in him except in 2007-08 or in the playoffs.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If MB isn't attempting to trade him before this deadline he will regret it later on. Someone who knows hockey well enough knows that this sort of player at that salary holds little to no value. What he creates offensively gets nullify by his continuous decision-making errors and poor defensive game.
Last night, lost his man going to the net, boom tie game...he was 6 ft behind him, trying to lift his stick?? He stopped skating, if he hadn't he would have been able to get rid of that rebound laying there for Foligno. Just terrible on his side of the ice...I would bench him just to send a huge message.

He is a very talented player, but his efforts on the D side of the puck are horrible most nights. Terribly inconsistent most nights. Spectacular the others, makes no sense.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Drouin is not even in the same league as Kovalev or Gaudreau talent wise and as far as Domi goes, he is playing centre and we all know how Drouin fared last year in that role. People said that Drouin suffered because he was asked to play out of position and that he would be better on the wing but the same tendencies are present. He shows flashes of talent but no attention to the aspects of the game which he needs to improve upon. Join us in the GDT tonight and give us your take on his play in real time, I will be here to read it.

1) It's not about how good Drouin is when compared to Kovalev or Gaudreau. The point is I rather have Drouin than not have him. He creates offense and we need players like this. He has more maturity to go yet. The key is how we surround him.

2) Domi is playing with the Habs this year with a much better top 9. Our top 9 last year don't measure up to the top 9 this year IMO. Hudon, Scherbak, and DLR pretty much played top 9 all year last year. Drouin is not strong enough or has good puck management skills vs Domi in a center role but Domi has more to work with.

The reason why the Habs are in a playoff spot is because we roll our top 9 and it's hard to contain all 3 lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad