Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Dr Jeckel And Mister Hyde Vibes Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
One things for sure, he's thoroughly outplaying Sergachev this year.

for sure, although that's the way it should be when you trade a 19 year old in the OHL for a 22 year old coming off a 53 pt season where he was on pace for 60 pts in 82 games and then turn around and give him 33M. Thankfully we didn't end up losing that 2nd round pick to go with it as that would have stung.

At this point, I don’t think anyone can argue we lost the Drouin - Sergachev trade. Our offense would be so much worse without him. It was a lateral move. We solved one problem to create another. I do think we got the better player though. Game breaking talents like Drouin are hard to acquire and I’m glad we got him.

it looked really bad last year, and now so far it looks much better for us. Had management not made the mistake of trying to force him as a center it likely wouldn't have looked as bad, and the fact that we got lucky that Sergachev made TB and we didn't have to give up that 2nd round pick.

Clearly both sides gave up a highly skilled player but ones with issues. Both have the offensive skill but questionable defensive concerns. Both are still young so we'll need years to see how it plays out, not saying we can't offer opinions on the trade each year just that opinions could be ever changing over time.

If Drouin can be a 70+ player consistently and a solid playoff performer for us then that's going to bode well for us. We badly need that young highly skilled LD in our system but if Sergachev doesn't improve then we stand a very good chance of winning the trade.

Reactions: Fixxer and Drouin92

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Sergachev is still an open question, but one thing however is that I would have liked to see him play beside Weber. I feel his defensive liabilities would have been less apparent and he would have used his great offensive skills better with Weber.

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Max carries him
He doesn’t. Drouin and Domi are equally beneficial to each other. Both are two of my favourite players.
Maybe, or the other way around. Both are having career years so most likely the relationship is mutually beneficial. Drouin is the better player IMO.
I agree. The only player getting carried on that line was Shaw. Hopefully we can get a legit RW for them. A sniper on that line would be great.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
He doesn’t. Drouin and Domi are equally beneficial to each other. Both are two of my favourite players.

I agree. The only player getting carried on that line was Shaw. Hopefully we can get a legit RW for them. A sniper on that line would be great.

I don’t agree that Shaw is a passenger, quite the opposite. He is retrieving pucks and getting to the front of the net. I think all three look great together tbh.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Drouin is so damn bipolar on the ice. When things aren’t going well, his bad plays just compound exponentially. However when he’s producing and confident he’s a special talent. I guess we just need to accept him for who he is. At least Sergachev doesn’t look all that special anymore.

Reactions: Fixxer

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The thing about Drouin is he is extremely talented and fast. He just needs more time to mature his game. You can't teach talent. You can teach decision making.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
This man needs someone to play with and domi aint it. Id like to see kotka with him but thats probably down the road as drouin and kotka mature.

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Only players in the league who play more with only one hand on the stick are the guys paid to stop the puck

Looks like he works a 2on/2off roster, he’s been pretty lazy and useless going on a fortnight, he’s overdue for his handful of decent games

And yet don’t believe he’s ever missed a shift or demoted a line

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The thing about Drouin is he is extremely talented and fast. He just needs more time to mature his game. You can't teach talent. You can teach decision making.

agree you can't teach talent but not sure if you teach decision making or not. I think that's something you either get or you don't. Some players can get away with it due to other tools like speed, skating, strength, etc.. but understanding what to do and when to do it in certain situations, I don't really think that can be taught. Maybe to some degree, I've had many discussions on it in regards to players like Beaulieu where I felt a good coach might be able to work with him to the point that he at least stops making boneheaded errors at times instead of repeating the same mistakes over years. One reason why is how he would make the same mistakes in Hamilton but when he played with Gonchar he at least started to seem like he was getting it, at least imo.

GSP2018

Nov 20, 2018

Silly comment. Shaw works his ass off on that line. Your hatred for Shaw is apparent

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Maybe, or the other way around. Both are having career years so most likely the relationship is mutually beneficial. Drouin is the better player IMO.
Only if being a more consistent player, having a more complete game and bringing more offense and better defense counts for nothing. Drouin will be 24 real soon. What you see is what you get. I would trade him because he is going to be a madding player. Plays excellent hockey for a handful of games and then mails it in for a month or so.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Only if being a more consistent player, having a more complete game and bringing more offense and better defense counts for nothing. Drouin will be 24 real soon. What you see is what you get. I would trade him because he is going to be a madding player. Plays excellent hockey for a handful of games and then mails it in for a month or so.
You've been on his case since the second Bergevin acquired him! You're clearly biased! Give the guy a break for god sake... Just because he's not busting his ass out there like Gallagher shift in and shift out it doesn't mean he's lazy and he doesn't care!

Guys like Gallagher are the exception, not the norm! Kucherov floats, Crosby floats, Ovechkin floats! All of them float from time to time, you can't go at 100% 82 games a season...

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad