Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Dr Jeckel And Mister Hyde Vibes Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
I wish he could figure this out! He's producing much better than last year, but he could do more if he's more motivated!

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
I wish he could figure this out! He's producing much better than last year, but he could do more if he's more motivated!

I don't think he's as lazy or unmotivated as people want to imply. He's really talented but he doesn't read the game at an elite level, which holds him back. Of course he has his games where the effort isn't all there but most guys do, people just see his raw tools and want a star and it's not there.

I think he's been probably our best forward for a few weeks now, Domi was definitely carrying that line for a good while but Domi has sort of seen his play regress and Drouin has actually stepped up. I do worry about that line's possession numbers and how it'll look as Domi and Shaw's SH% normalize. I think we could end up seeing some line shifting as the season goes on but I'm excited to see if Drouin could tee Weber up well on the PP. I know at times Weber has made the PP a bit stagnate and 1 dimensional but with how bad it's been, we desperately need a go-to trigger so it could help.

As for the dumb penalty. It was stupid and selfish, bad timing but whatever, it happens. All players do good and bad things we just over-analyze this specific player for some reason. When he's good, people are talking about him maybe being a star and when he's bad people freak the f*** out. He's fine.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
If Drouin did not played like he did against Boston, we would not talk about his penalty because anyway, we would not have produced any offensive and it would have been a loss anyway.

Reactions: Vachon23

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I thought you were taking about his cross check to the face 4 minute penalty after entering the “matrix”. Which lost us the game after his first “matrix” moment.
I think the Matrix glitched and accidentally put David Krejci from 2015 into a body called Drouin. And Pleks into Backes.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
If Drouin did not played like he did against Boston, we would not talk about his penalty because anyway, we would not have produced any offensive and it would have been a loss anyway.
Yes?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't think he's as lazy or unmotivated as people want to imply. He's really talented but he doesn't read the game at an elite level, which holds him back. Of course he has his games where the effort isn't all there but most guys do, people just see his raw tools and want a star and it's not there.
Yeah I don't see lazy or unmotivated...

Entitled? Sure...
Tries to do too much? Sure...

But these are things that can be corrected, for the most part this year, I've liked what i've seen from Drouin and I think he's trending in the right direction.

As for the dumb penalty. It was stupid and selfish, bad timing but whatever, it happens. All players do good and bad things we just over-analyze this specific player for some reason. When he's good, people are talking about him maybe being a star and when he's bad people freak the **** out. He's fine.
Maybe I didn't get a good look at it, but I thought Backes went at Drouin and he instinctively lifted his arms/stick and it caught Backes in the face.

Irresponsible for sure...but it's not like he was seeking out Backes to cross check him in the face, I thought it was more accidental more than anything.

But at leas the took responsibility for it.

May have been a good opportunity for CJ to make him accountable by sitting him on the bench for the rest of that game (this type of treatment feeds his entitled attitude IMO but whatever, CJ was trying to win a game).

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
He should have been a figure skater.
What's with your obsession ?

Did you have the same issue when Domi pulled some of his brain cramps he had a couple of times already ?

Thing is, I'd rather have players like Drouin / Domi / Shaw / Gallagher who get involved in games emotionnaly and from time to time lose it than have players like Pacioretty who no matter what happens just stays away from the heat and don't react passionnately to anything (not even wanting that Chara SoB's head for what he did to him). Also, Drouin is a pretty darn good hockey player, and the most talented on the team, so wanting him gone or 'figure skating' must be the most idiotic opinion on these boards these days.

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
Maybe I didn't get a good look at it, but I thought Backes went at Drouin and he instinctively lifted his arms/stick and it caught Backes in the face.

Irresponsible for sure...but it's not like he was seeking out Backes to cross check him in the face, I thought it was more accidental more than anything.

But at leas the took responsibility for it.

May have been a good opportunity for CJ to make him accountable by sitting him on the bench for the rest of that game (this type of treatment feeds his entitled attitude IMO but whatever, CJ was trying to win a game).

Yeah it's a tough line, Claude was trying to win the game and Drouin was legitimately the best forward, 7 shots, great goal ect. and he almost set up a tying goal. The thing is, he could have sat him and it wouldn't have been undeserved but it's not like Drouin has been running around all season taking dumb penalties. Maybe if he cost you the game trying to dangle through the whole team late in the game you send a message, that's an issue he's had through the year.

As for the rest of it, honestly Saturday was a good example of what he brings that no one else on this team does (at that level) and that's the ability to create something out absolutely nothing and turn a game around. You need that element. I guess for me, we all know what type of player he is and it's the type of player you admire from afar when you see a guy like it on other teams and always hate your own version of it, day to day. Drouin is a really good piece if he's productive, which he has been this year, end of story. If he puts up 45 points again we can revisit the topic because he can't be that guy.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
What's with your obsession ?

Did you have the same issue when Domi pulled some of his brain cramps he had a couple of times already ?

Thing is, I'd rather have players like Drouin / Domi / Shaw / Gallagher who get involved in games emotionnaly and from time to time lose it than have players like Pacioretty who no matter what happens just stays away from the heat and don't react passionnately to anything (not even wanting that Chara SoB's head for what he did to him). Also, Drouin is a pretty darn good hockey player, and the most talented on the team, so wanting him gone or 'figure skating' must be the most idiotic opinion on these boards these days.
I think he would like figure skating. At least the individual competition/level, where you don’t have to touch anyone.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah it's a tough line, Claude was trying to win the game and Drouin was legitimately the best forward, 7 shots, great goal ect. and he almost set up a tying goal. The thing is, he could have sat him and it wouldn't have been undeserved but it's not like Drouin has been running around all season taking dumb penalties. Maybe if he cost you the game trying to dangle through the whole team late in the game you send a message, that's an issue he's had through the year.

As for the rest of it, honestly Saturday was a good example of what he brings that no one else on this team does (at that level) and that's the ability to create something out absolutely nothing and turn a game around. You need that element. I guess for me, we all know what type of player he is and it's the type of player you admire from afar when you see a guy like it on other teams and always hate your own version of it, day to day. Drouin is a really good piece if he's productive, which he has been this year, end of story. If he puts up 45 points again we can revisit the topic because he can't be that guy.
Agreed...his goal was interesting because you'll actually see him try that at least 1 time every game, or maybe every other game.

It usually doesn't work, but on Saturday it worked.

I think he's still learning on when to pick his moments to try stuff like that, it's often what people were critical of with Subban...playing with the clock and knowing when it's time to try to be a difference maker and when it's time to just play it more conservative.

I think he'll figure it out eventually.

Mario le Magnifique

Dec 6, 2007
My basement
There is no doubt it was unintentional. My question is why the heck was he engaged with Backes in the first place? It's a no win for him who with one step can leave the guy in his dust. Not smart.
Not smart but I've been there done that (not in the NHL though). Backes got under his skin. Drouin needs to learn from this. cphabs seems to think it's easy to ignore but let me tell you, it's not. You have a moron constantly spewing insults and chirpin, doing dirty stickwork, and at some point you want to just wack your stick in their face. This is where a guy like Deslauriers needs to come in. You take out the prick and pass the message. No one can do it right now on the Habs and that's problematic.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not smart but I've been there done that (not in the NHL though). Backes got under his skin. Drouin needs to learn from this. cphabs seems to think it's easy to ignore but let me tell you, it's not. You have a moron constantly spewing insults and chirpin, doing dirty stickwork, and at some point you want to just wack your stick in their face. This is where a guy like Deslauriers needs to come in. You take out the prick and pass the message. No one can do it right now on the Habs and that's problematic.

Oh I know and I've may a point of mentioning it every time we blow a game because we get suckered in to playing a style not suited to our personnel.

Reactions: Le philantrope

Mario le Magnifique

Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Oh I know and I've may a point of mentioning it every time we blow a game because we get suckered in to playing a style not suited to our personnel.
I agree, Habs are baby poo soft and when a team starts to bully them, they have no answer. I think our fourth line should be built to kinda temporize and counter the bullying and Deslauriers is supposed to be that guy but with his full face on he can't do it. One thing is for sure, we do have the agitators in Domi / Shaw / Gallagher so at some point someone was going to get what was coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad