Prospect Info: Jonathan Dahlén, TimrÃ¥ IK | Allsvenskan U-20 MVP 2017

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess unlike players drafted out of the CHL in 2016, Dahlen falls into the same category as NCAA players.....can be signed and brought over any time....can't believe Jimbo wouldn't move heaven and earth to get this kid signed and playing for Utica at least.....would be far better for his development and playing in the SHL imo.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I guess unlike players drafted out of the CHL in 2016, Dahlen falls into the same category as NCAA players.....can be signed and brought over any time....can't believe Jimbo wouldn't move heaven and earth to get this kid signed and playing for Utica at least.....would be far better for his development and playing in the SHL imo.

Benning did talk about signing him and bringing him over. But I think the decision comes down to Dahlen's physical readiness. There's no problem with developing players in Sweden, especially if that player is undersized. It might actually be the better route.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Its debatable and an argument i made many times already...

Fact Utica has not actually been successful with development thus far. We've had more success with outside source developing our prospects over Utica. Take Rodin as an example... he did not develop at all in the AHL but got a lot better after going back to the SHL (tho got hurt before coming over so we never really saw it in the NHL).

Not everyone's development is the same and realistically Dahlen would probably make more money in the SHL vs AHL (no idea on his contract status but i would assume he could make more than your standard ELC @ AHL level) so he might want to develop there instead of here. Unlike the NCAA, there really isn't a lot of risk if he stays there until he's ready so why not let him stay there a bit longer then come over when he looks ready?

Gaunce is basically the only player on our team that spent much time in Utica so honestly playing in Utica isn't really a requirement to make the NHL and realistically there has been a lot of successful SHL -> NHL players.

Of course if he wants to come over to develop, he will have every chance to make Utica's team. Its really up to him and it really shouldn't matter much either way.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Fact Utica has not actually been successful with development thus far. We've had more success with outside source developing our prospects over Utica. Take Rodin as an example... he did not develop at all in the AHL but got a lot better after going back to the SHL (tho got hurt before coming over so we never really saw it in the NHL).

Not everyone's development is the same and realistically Dahlen would probably make more money in the SHL vs AHL (no idea on his contract status but i would assume he could make more than your standard ELC @ AHL level) so he might want to develop there instead of here. Unlike the NCAA, there really isn't a lot of risk if he stays there until he's ready so why not let him stay there a bit longer then come over when he looks ready?

Gaunce is basically the only player on our team that spent much time in Utica so honestly playing in Utica isn't really a requirement to make the NHL and realistically there has been a lot of successful SHL -> NHL players.

Of course if he wants to come over to develop, he will have every chance to make Utica's team. Its really up to him and it really shouldn't matter much either way.

I don't think the problem with player development lies in Utica, it's just that the Canucks have really never given them high profile prospects to develop....in fact, according to my calculations, Virtanen, Gaunce and Demko are the only high draft picks to spend any time in Utica developing....other than Jensen who was just a bust.

The rest of 'em are mostly fourth and fifth rounders or even UFA's, who were crap-shoots then they were drafted/signed....so not surprising that most of them will top out as decent but not great AHL players.

I'm hoping to see the day when a good crop of Canuck youngsters from high draft years develop together in the AHL and then move up to the big club....much like the Lightning or even the Leafs do these days.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016

Didn't seem to hurt Nylander too much spending a year in the Swedish League before coming over to the AHL...in fact, it is a much better situation than spending a year in Juniors as you are playing against men, not boys!

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I don't think the problem with player development lies in Utica, it's just that the Canucks have really never given them high profile prospects to develop....in fact, according to my calculations, Virtanen, Gaunce and Demko are the only high draft picks to spend any time in Utica developing....other than Jensen who was just a bust.

The rest of 'em are mostly fourth and fifth rounders or even UFA's, who were crap-shoots then they were drafted/signed....so not surprising that most of them will top out as decent but not great AHL players.

I'm hoping to see the day when a good crop of Canuck youngsters from high draft years develop together in the AHL and then move up to the big club....much like the Lightning or even the Leafs do these days.

Actually Jensen has done a lot better since leaving Utica. He looks to be back on tracking being a top 6 forward now with NYR. There's also Hunter Shinkaruk who is slumping right now but was basically PPG for most of the season @ Stockton (until he was called up...).

Gaunce was also a former 1st round pick and i guess the most successful development out of Utica so far (only one). If you want to base development on first round picks (or draft position), Utica actually has had decent number of 1st rounders go through. Of course they were later in the first round since the team was actually pretty successful during MG's era. Also the team seems to never have 2nd rounders so there is a disconnect there after the 1st round. Also Horvat skipped the AHL (like most of our young players in the NHL, they came straight from CHL/NCAA/KHL).

Even if you look at other systems, you actually won't find a lot more (or any more) 1st round picks on their AHL teams. Often time they will actually have less. Also note that the Leafs have been bad for a very long time to stockpile all their prospects (well they never really gave up and started a full rebuild till recently but they have gather a decent amount of assets via not buying @ deadline + just being bad/high draft position). The lightnings go from contenders to non-playoff as well. Neither have actually maintain success like Hawks/Pens/etc. I.e. Drouin was a 3rd overall pick ('nucks haven't had a pick that high since the Sedins @ #2 and #3, MG's highest draft position was #9, Benning has had #5 and #6... plus whatever he gets this year in a draft that doesn't have a clear cut franchise player).

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Actually Jensen has done a lot better since leaving Utica. He looks to be back on tracking being a top 6 forward now with NYR.

I don't think of 24 year olds who can't cut 0.8 PPG in the AHL as tracking to being a top 6 forward with an NHL team...

Jensen is a depth call-up for NYR and that's all.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Whether or not he's signed, can he still come over for the Canucks prospect development camp; or play in the Penticton Prospects Tournament?....would at least provide a sneak preview....seems to me that Gustav Forsling came over for a prospects camp and then went back to the SEL.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Whether or not he's signed, can he still come over for the Canucks prospect development camp; or play in the Penticton Prospects Tournament?....would at least provide a sneak preview....seems to me that Gustav Forsling came over for a prospects camp and then went back to the SEL.

He probably can. Also depends on his contract status. If his contract is expiring he can certainly negotiate something with his Swedish team like if he doesn't make the NHL he can come back. If he is still under contract he just needs to seek permission that's all (if the season has already started in Sweden).

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
I dont think Dahlen is going back to Timrå, a lot SEL wants him for next year . If he stays in sweden I get the feeling he is gong to play in Frölunda or HV71, this is from interviews I vve read and some gossip from the hockey people I know here in Sweden.

My feeling is that Jonathan dont want to across the pond yet, I think he wants to come over when he has a better chance at being an NHL player.

Im guessing that the Canucks will sign him, let him do the preseason in Vancouver and then lend him to a SEL for the 17/18 season. Basicly what Minnesota did with Eriksson-Ek

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I don't think of 24 year olds who can't cut 0.8 PPG in the AHL as tracking to being a top 6 forward with an NHL team...

Jensen is a depth call-up for NYR and that's all.

He was actually closer to PPG pace until a recent slump and remember he just turned 24. There's also a difference between a PPG player vs a 30 goal scorer. Of course rather or not he gets a chance @ a top 6 role remains to be seen since the Rangers are pretty deep.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
He was actually closer to PPG pace until a recent slump and remember he just turned 24.

There's a lot of players that, when you remove their worst 10-20 games, are PPG players. A 24 year old who can't crack 0.8 PPG over a season in the AHL has pretty much no path to a top 6 role in the NHL.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Jensen has the physical talent to play in the NHL. But he's always been less than the sum of his part. This also happens to be his 4th full year in the AHL. Maybe he has resurrected his North American hockey career with his AHL play since being traded but I doubt it.

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com

Can't wait to see Dahlen. His edgework and sideways skating seems terrific and the real deal. Similar to his father Ulf's skating. If you thought Shinkaruk's edgework was good, Dahlen's is better.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Can't wait to see Dahlen. His edgework and sideways skating seems terrific and the real deal. Similar to his father Ulf's skating. If you thought Shinkaruk's edgework was good, Dahlen's is better.

It's great to be high on Dahlen as a prospect, but similar to his father Ulf?.....maybe not....at least not the Ulf Dahlen I remember who would never be mistaken for Sid the Kid on the blades.

But since Jonathan Dahlen was an '016 draft, I'm assuming he will part of Sweden's WJC team again next season?

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
There's a lot of players that, when you remove their worst 10-20 games, are PPG players. A 24 year old who can't crack 0.8 PPG over a season in the AHL has pretty much no path to a top 6 role in the NHL.

Except you ignore the simple fact he's 2nd in the entire AHL in goal scoring. That's mostly due to a slump too (leader has 27, he has 26). He has also played 4 fewer games and is younger. Add to that Megan's goal scoring probably has more to do with Agostino (who leads the AHL in assist/pts by a wide marging) while Jansen is scoring mostly due to his own merit (no one is close to Jensen in scoring tho Rangers did bring in some help at the deadline).

If he was still in our system, with that production he would be in the NHL next season and likely be on the 2nd/3rd line again. Of course NYR has more forward depth than most teams so in the end, he might just end up being trade bait but he could be a top 6 forward in the NHL in the near future and is probably the best sniper in the AHL right now. If you watched Utica vs Hartford's game earlier this year, you've seen a much better/different Jensen than before.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I think that's debatable.

The AHL is certainly the more physical league and more similar in style to the NHL. Which are reasons like I prospects developing there. Assuming they're physically mature enough.

I don't think it is.

Anton Lander has the highest ppg in the AHL, he wouldn't be even close to that in the SHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad