Prospect Info: Jonathan Dahlén, TimrÃ¥ IK | Allsvenskan U-20 MVP 2017

Petrichor

Jan 25, 2017
Whether he turns out or not, this is the best Benning trade so far.

Easily in our top 5 prospect rankings right now.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Whether he turns out or not, this is the best Benning trade so far.

Easily in our top 5 prospect rankings right now.

I would argue that Baertschi or Granlund were one of his best trades. 2nd round pick for a top 6 winger and an AHL player for a 20 goal scorer.

Petrichor

Jan 25, 2017
I would argue that Baertschi or Granlund were one of his best trades. 2nd round pick for a top 6 winger and an AHL player for a 20 goal scorer.

In terms of value at the time, Granlund for Shinkaruk is definitely not Benning's best trade. Shinkaruk had a lot more value at the time. His linear performance is similar to Goldobin at the time of the trade and that was a 1st rounder value.

Was Granlund worth a 1st rounder at the time of the trade? Absolutely not.

Granlund was on the cusp of losing his roster spot in Calgary because younger guys were surpassing him. Further, if Calgary couldn't fit him on the roster (which they couldn't), he would have hit the waiver wire.

So the fact Benning gave away a former 1st rounder close to PPG in the AHL for someone set to his the waiver wire is a poor trade at the time.

The 20 goals Granlund has at the moment is great, but that's overshadowed by unsustainable shooting percentage and the boatload of ice time with the twins.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
In terms of value at the time, Granlund for Shinkaruk is definitely not Benning's best trade. Shinkaruk had a lot more value at the time. His linear performance is similar to Goldobin at the time of the trade and that was a 1st rounder value.

Granlund was on the cusp of losing his roster spot in Calgary because younger guys were surpassing him. Further, if Calgary couldn't fit him on the roster (which they couldn't), he would have hit the waiver wire.

So the fact Benning gave away a former 1st rounder close to PPG in the AHL for someone set to his the waiver wire is a poor trade at the time.

The 20 goals Granlund has at the moment is great, but that's overshadowed by unsustainable shooting percentage and the boatload of ice time with the twins.

I love it when people talk about the value a player has as if it's a number printed on the back of their jersey. The reality is, NHL prospects are hard to value and the market for trading them is about as liquid as cold peanut butter. There was obviously something about Shinkaruk that Benning et al didn't like, his name was out there a lot. Hard to argue now that he was wrong; shinkaruk's stock is plummeting big time.

Hard to argue that he was wrong about Granlund too, he's made the most of his opportunity this year.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Really?

Now we have people needing to bash Granlund in the Dahlen thread too? On the day he scores 4 goals?

Awesome

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Leave granlund out of this ****ing thread. I dont wanna hear any more of his ******** bad player fantasys that people have here.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Really?

Now we have people needing to bash Granlund in the Dahlen thread too? On the day he scores 4 goals?

Awesome

I know right. Its a joke esp as Granlund keeps playing well and scoring goals. But anyways just loving this Burrows trade for Dahlen right now. Looks like if hes carefully groomed we could have another GEM on our hands :nod:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I didn't want to be That Guy, but yeah. He's been loaded to Timrå's J-20 team.

He can go ahead and score 4+ every game, of course. I would enjoy that.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think this trade is a very good one for Benning. Not only did he get Dahlen, who probably is worth a late first in this year's draft, he traded Burrows to a team that was willing to give him a 2 year extension. Like the Bieksa trade, this is the type of trade that should be celebrated not just for the fact that Benning got a good return but the fact that the trade worked out really well for the players.

I sometimes wonder if some posters are simply delusional when assessing Benning's competency. Shinkaruk is worth a first round pick? Benning should of asked for a first for Lack so he ends up with a 2nd rather than 3rd? If Shinkaruk was worth a first, I'm pretty sure Benning would have traded him long before he made the Granlund trade.

Oh here we go again. Granlund was on the cusp of losing his roster spot because they wanted to move their former #4 overall pick to C. They even let Colborne go rather than qualify him after he had a 19 goal 44 point season.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
man he needs to play in Utica right now to get used to the NA ice rink and AHL is harder than SEL...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad