Kings News: Jonathan Bernier to TML for Matt Frattin, Ben Scrivens, & 2nd ('14 or '15) (pst#276)

Captain Mittens*

Mr. Pappagiorgio?

2me7a6h.jpg

FootKnight

This ****ing team
May 28, 2007
If he doesn't represent Camarillo, I will be very disappointed

I thought it was funny that Scrivens felt the need to explain where Camarillo is in that interview Rosen posted. :laugh:

Also that Frattin explained who Dave Nonis is.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
A reel of plays from Frattin courtesy of NHL.com:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/search.htm?q=frattin&tab=video

Just watching those clips you can take away the following points:

-Frattin is a shifty skater who can beat players in one-on-one situations or can skate around defenders. In one of the clips he went through the bigger Eric Brewer with a nifty inside out move, and also beat Seidenberg in a one-on-one situation. The goal he scored on Brodeur, beating Adam Larsson wide, is a thing of beauty.

-He really does have an extra gear and can blow by defensemen with his speed.

-Frattin has above average offensive instincts. Seems to get himself in position to generate good quality scoring opportunities.

-He has a very quick release, the puck doesn't take very long to explode off of the blade of his stick. He has a nifty snap shot that he likes to use, seems to be his go-to weapon of choice.

-He's strong on his skates, and while he isn't small, he has a similar stocky build as Dustin Brown. In fact, they're both the same size at 6'0" and 200+ pounds.

-You have to see Frattin's goal against the Kings, it's something you'll really get a kick out of watching. He gets past his man (Gagne) and gets behind the Kings defense to knock the puck from mid-air and past Jonathan Quick. Frattin has exceptional hand-eye coordination as he's made other plays knocking the puck from mid-air and onto his stick for a goal/scoring chance.

Watching highlights on Frattin gives me the impression that he is unlike any LW the Kings attempted to use with Richards and Carter (aside from maybe Toffoli) and is significantly superior to King and Lewis in offensive skills and creativity. While I'm not expecting astronomical numbers from Frattin, I think that 15-20+ goals and 40+ points would not be out of the ordinary for Frattin, especially if he is given the opportunity to play in a top six role and on the second powerplay unit.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
^^^ Good job. He does appear to have "Brown-like qualities". Hope he can play full time LW and round out the top 9 forwards.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Frattin is a natural RW and shoots Right. I don't know why the Kings keep doing this to themselves. Brown, Williams, Toffoli, Lewis, Nolan and Frattin are all RW's....King and Clifford are the only natural LW's.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Frattin is a natural RW and shoots Right. I don't know why the Kings keep doing this to themselves. Brown, Williams, Toffoli, Lewis, Nolan and Frattin are all RW's....King and Clifford are the only natural LW's.

I have a feeling you'd be okay with this trade if Frattin was a fighter.

And the fact that Frattin has played LW, and admitted he's comfortable on either wings, kind of makes your criticisms moot.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

Yeah, two straight Western Conference Finals appearances and one Stanley Cup in the last two years. They're really screwing themselves for sure...

HolyShot*

Forwards can play on their off wing depending on how comfortable they are with it. Playing your off wing affects your shot, passing and stick handling. Skilled players usually don't have a problem with it.

KingKopitar11*

Is Frattin a fighter?? I see too many kings get leveled in a bad way and no one does anything about it.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Forwards can play on their off wing depending on how comfortable they are with it. Playing your off wing affects your shot, passing and stick handling. Skilled players usually don't have a problem with it.

Dustin Brown is the bomb then since he has often switched between the two wings, right? :)

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
A reel of plays from Frattin courtesy of NHL.com:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/search.htm?q=frattin&tab=video

Just watching those clips you can take away the following points:

Agree on the points, esp the 'quick release' , that's a great asset, in a lot of the goals and close calls, he has a good sense of where to shoot, doesn't stop to overthink. And he goes right to the crease, drives hard.

This one on Ryan Miller is sweet...love to see more like this...and stayed composed and didn't rush despite having 6 seconds left in OT when he got the puck. (5th one down)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/search.htm?q=frattin&tab=video&pg=4

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Frattin will wear #21 for the Kings.

Still no word on what Scrivens will wear. He was #30 in Toronto. But, obviously that's retired here.

Matt Frattin ‏@Matt_Frattin 24h

For all who were asking I will be going back to the old college number in LA. #21

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Feb 3, 2007
I was just thinking that it would be fascinating to know who else was bidding for Bernier and what the offers were, especially knowing in retrospect that Schneider was available.

Did NJ pursue Bernier too, or were they focused on Schneider?

Did TOR know Schneider was on the block?

etc.

I hope some info leaks out eventually.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I was just thinking that it would be fascinating to know who else was bidding for Bernier and what the offers were, especially knowing in retrospect that Schneider was available.

Did NJ pursue Bernier too, or were they focused on Schneider?

Did TOR know Schneider was on the block?

etc.

I hope some info leaks out eventually.

In most cases we'll never hear the full details, but you could deduct who the other suitors for Bernier may have been. Considering the fact that Nino Niederreiter was moved, as was Cal Clutterbuck, and that New Jersey did acquire a starting goalie for the future, I would say that those clubs in addition to Philly were the teams most likely looking at Bernier.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Oilers were looking at Bernier.... when the trade went down MacTavish said he thought he was in on the deal till the end... probably something around MPS, but trading Bernier in the same conference next year would require an overpayment.

Philly was absolutely interested, but they were unwilling to talk about Schenn/Couturier so that went nowhere. Would those have been an overpayment for Bernier? Can't tell yet... I would have to consider it if the alternative was starting Mason....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad