Jonathan Bernier - Player Discussion 2016

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
this whole lame Reimer vs. Bernier discussion went on for years. Sensible fans who knew that both of them were going to be gone in due time stayed on the sidelines. Well guess what. As predicted, one of them is already gone. And Bernier is the next to go. And then this whole thing will be dead. Why these Reimer/Bernier discussions went on for so long is beyond me, we all knew both of them were being shipped out at some point. Some fans refuse to look at the bigger picture and instead insist on arguing over microscopic points when it's all moot to begin with. Bernier will be gone shortly and and the next era will shift into gear.

So don't discuss players that will 'eventually' be moved?

You heard him mods. Fry the servers and shut the site down :popcorn:

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
I wonder where Deepz and Babchuk went. I haven't seen them of late. :D

The fact that you think this is a resurgence of Bernier is perfect comedy. I'm just enjoying the posts, as you feast on him trying to make a meal out of this disaster of a season.

In other news, I'm glad we signed a 6'3 goalie. Seems like the new regime understands a few things Nonis didn't.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Bernier's stats are slowly creeping back up to an acceptable level. If he finishes off this year strong, I wouldn't mind giving him that chance to run with it next year and see what he can do.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
The fact that you think this is a resurgence of Bernier is perfect comedy. I'm just enjoying the posts, as you feast on him trying to make a meal out of this disaster of a season.

In other news, I'm glad we signed a 6'3 goalie. Seems like the new regime understands a few things Nonis didn't.

Well, this resurgance has him posting sv% numbers much more in line of years 2013 and 2014, where he was .920+ in each, and not the sub .900 one he was in 2015. He's .922 in 2016 if you're wondering.

One thing though, that prediction of Sparks outplaying Bernier has really come to fruition, hasn't it?

I bet you're really sweating now, with Bernier playing like he has been.

Last edited:

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Well, this resurgance has him posting sv% numbers much more in line of years 2013 and 2014, where he was .920+ in each, and not the sub .900 one he was in 2015.

One thing though, that prediction of Sparks outplaying Bernier has really come to fruition, hasn't it?

I bet you're really sweating now, with Bernier playing like he has been.

You're trumpeting the fact that Bernier is outdueling Garrett Sparks in the most meaningless games of the season? Wow. I guess you have to play your 2s when you get dealt a bad hand.

And oh man I'm sweating! I love when my goalies are terrible when it matters, have to go to AHL to "fix their mind" and then play OK when games don't matter at all.

Like I said, I enjoy watching the comedy of tumbleweeds propping up Bernier when it doesn't matter.

But it's Spring, the time of renewal. The new direction of this team is positive. Past mistakes like anointing tiny back-ups as starters are over.

But if they play Bernier as starter next year, I won't be mad at all. I love high picks.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Bernier's stats are slowly creeping back up to an acceptable level. If he finishes off this year strong, I wouldn't mind giving him that chance to run with it next year and see what he can do.

Absolutely! He's under contract and we're paying him a lot of money so what have we got to lose? He's bee playing really well lately and who knows, maybe he can keep it up. Even if it's a super long shot, may as well give it a try - it wouldn't be the first time a long shot paid off.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
You're trumpeting the fact that Bernier is outdueling Garrett Sparks in the most meaningless games of the season? Wow. I guess you have to play your 2s when you get dealt a bad hand.

And oh man I'm sweating! I love when my goalies are terrible when it matters, have to go to AHL to "fix their mind" and then play OK when games don't matter at all.

Like I said, I enjoy watching the comedy of tumbleweeds propping up Bernier when it doesn't matter.

But it's Spring, the time of renewal. The new direction of this team is positive. Past mistakes like anointing tiny back-ups as starters are over.

But if they play Bernier as starter next year, I won't be mad at all. I love high picks.

Well yes, I remember quite a few posters expecting Sparks to outplay him down the stretch. I was just pointing something out.

It's gonna be fun when Bernier is the #1 next year and is posting his regular .920+. Maybe they'll even extend him, as consistent .920 goaltending is hard to find.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Absolutely! He's under contract and we're paying him a lot of money so what have we got to lose? He's bee playing really well lately and who knows, maybe he can keep it up. Even if it's a super long shot, may as well give it a try - it wouldn't be the first time a long shot paid off.

I'm absolutely on board with this. We should play Bernier the most amount of games next year.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Well yes, I remember quite a few posters expecting Sparks to outplay him down the stretch. I was just pointing something out.

It's gonna be fun when Bernier is the #1 next year and is posting his regular .920+. Maybe they'll even extend him, as consistent .920 goaltending is hard to find.

Bernier has proven that statement to be correct.

I'm finally agreeing with you on something: I really hope he's the starter next year. And heck, a one year extension? Why not!

Bernier fans unite!

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

When has this season ever mattered? Leafs were expected to be a bottom 3 team up until trade deadline, and they did just that.

If anything, Bernier has shown he can play with the kids, (and with a much better roster). If you want to argue how Bernier failed to play well in the beginning of the year where he played a mere 10/15 games, then be my guest.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

I still have hope. He's 28, a former 11th overall pick, and has shown promise in the past. I think as long as a goalie still has promise, we should give him a shot. Hasek, Price, Tim Thomas... there are tons of examples of goalies who arrived late by the time you could fully rely on them year in and year out.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
When has this season ever mattered? Leafs were expected to be a bottom 3 team up until trade deadline, and they did just that.

If anything, Bernier has shown he can play with the kids, (and with a much better roster). If you want to argue how Bernier failed to play well in the beginning of the year where he played a mere 10/15 games, then be my guest.

Apparently it means a lot now when Bernier is playing decently in meaningless games. The tumbleweed prop artists are making Bernier seem like he's had a resurgence, when in reality, there's absolutely no pressure on him. Remember when he couldn't string a win together and folded like a cheap tent every time they tried to start him? He had to be sent down to the AHL to "fix his mind".

Let me cut through the hypocrisy that is rife with the Bernier Prop Artists:

If Bernier is playing horrible -- > season doesn't matter.

If Bernier is playing well -- > season matters! We should look at an extension.

Never change.
:laugh:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

If he does that they would be crazy not to extend him. .920+ goalies are elite.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
I still have hope. He's 28, a former 11th overall pick, and has shown promise in the past. I think as long as a goalie still has promise, we should give him a shot. Hasek, Price, Tim Thomas... there are tons of examples of goalies who arrived late by the time you could fully rely on them year in and year out.

Trevor Kidd was drafted 11th overall.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Absolutely, I have hope too. I don't know exactly how much hope I have and I'm certainly not counting on anything but I do have some hope and he's looking really good lately.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Apparently it means a lot now when Bernier is playing decently in meaningless games. The tumbleweed prop artists are making Bernier seem like he's had a resurgence, when in reality, there's absolutely no pressure on him. Remember when he couldn't string a win together and folded like a cheap tent every time they tried to start him? He had to be sent down to the AHL to "fix his mind".

Let me cut through the hypocrisy that is rife with the Bernier Prop Artists:

If Bernier is playing horrible -- > season doesn't matter.

If Bernier is playing well -- > season matters! We should look at an extension.

Never change.
:laugh:

Kind of missing the point there, deepz. People are saying that there has never been any pressure this season, but that performance matters.

I'm disappointed to see both you and MikeBabchuk come across as you have since the Reimer trade. We disagreed a lot, but I generally found you to be level-headed and capable of articulating good points as well as accepting points that went against your position. This act is beneath you both.

Finally, the whole idea about meaningless games seem only to pop up as a narrative to dismiss performance from people who have shown a bias on the subject.

The situation has gone from "throwaway season but stable future" to "throwaway season with future on the line" for Bernier, yet somehow there is no longer any pressure. As so often on this topic, that's very illogical.

Absolutely, I have hope too. I don't know exactly how much hope I have and I'm certainly not counting on anything but I do have some hope and he's looking really good lately.

He's looked real good, the closest to that first year that we've seen from him. Hopefully for his sake it can help him rescue a career, even though I'm still not very high on the idea of him being the answer for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad