Jonathan Bernier - Player Discussion 2016

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
It's impressive yes, but easier to do when not doing a starters workload.
Even andersen had 50+ starts last year.

The games played per season says nothing. If you play every 3rd day you can play over 60 games and you can always be recovered 100% from the game before depending on practises. Before Reimer got injured he had to play much more than every 3rd day, 11 games in 22 days and 3 games in 4 nights twice. No human can play this pace, that's 92 games per season, and that also in the first month of the season when the body isn't used to heavy workloads, as if goalies are machines you can turn on and off.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Hank does like 60+ starts a year!!! He plays almost 2 reimer seasons in 1 reimer season.
That is a very important point.

Yes, a very important point. Between Nov2 and Nov23 Lundqvist played 8 games, that's a pace for 67 games and after that even Lundqvist struggled. In that span Reimer was on pace for 92 games.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bernier's been stringing together a series of very boring outings, which is a nice sign.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yes, a very important point. Between Nov2 and Nov23 Lundqvist played 8 games, that's a pace for 67 games and after that even Lundqvist struggled. In that span Reimer was on pace for 92 games.
92 game pace! I'm out. Sorry Lenny... 92 game season.
Ciao!

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
92 game pace! I'm out. Sorry Lenny... 92 game season.
Ciao!

What's so difficult to understand here. 11 games in 22 days equals 92 games in 184 days. This is the pace. In that time span Lundqvist played 8 games, big difference.
Reimer played 3 games in 4 nights twice in that span, Lundqvist never. That's an even higher pace for some days. It's like you drive your motorbike always in the red zone, how long do you think an engine can stand that. That's why it's marked as a red zone, it's not good to go there.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Really bugs me when it's the same posters who bring up and discuss Reimer in every thread related to goaltending, especially now that he's gone.

It also bugs me that Reimer is the only starting goaltender in the league to have never even play half of his teams games in a season, let alone play the traditional 55+ in a season like all the rest do, if healthy of course. There's always an excuse though nonetheless. There's enough there to start a wheel of excuses.

Reimer will probably get a chance to be a de facto #1 next season, and we'll see what he's got. I'd bet money on it being Calgary actually. My opinion isn't a high one on him, as he's about as hot and cold as they come and quite fragile at that. But we'll all see what he is going forward.

Actually, in the shortened season, Reimer played in about 33 games of the 48 game season which would be close to 70% of the team's games.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Actually, in the shortened season, Reimer played in about 33 games of the 48 game season which would be close to 70% of the team's games.

Yeah, easy to forget. I've done so myself.

As for games played workload, I'd be interested to see a study on its effects. Particularly the difference between stretches of intense play compared to the long grind.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
What's so difficult to understand here. 11 games in 22 days equals 92 games in 184 days. This is the pace. In that time span Lundqvist played 8 games, big difference.
Reimer played 3 games in 4 nights twice in that span, Lundqvist never. That's an even higher pace for some days. It's like you drive your motorbike always in the red zone, how long do you think an engine can stand that. That's why it's marked as a red zone, it's not good to go there.
The issue is that when you say 92 games it's sensationalism because it's not possible in a season. That kill the credibility of your argument. It makes me feel like you will say anything or make things up to prove your point because there are only 82 in games in a season.
Goalies should be able to play back to back and Babs always looked at the difficulty of the game before playing the goalie again. He has even said the plan was to have the goalie play the second half of the back to back but the shot load was too much in the 1st game so he switched plans.
I find it very hard to believe that in the 4 consecutive years that lundqvist played 70 or more game in each year he didn't play back to back.

The fact is reimer has not played over 40 games a season. That is not a question. If playing 3 games in 4 nights is too much for him physically he needs to buckle down and improve his conditioning to become a starting goalie.
What makes a starter a starter is games played. What makes him good are save percentage and to a smaller extent wins. If you are arguing reimer IS a starter that's where the discussion stops. If you are arguing that he could be a starter then that is where the debate is and will only be resolved when he plays or doesn't play 55+ games. If you are arguing if he is better that Bernier then he was this year but wasn't the preceeding years, but stating he was on pace to play 92 game in the season is hyperbolic to say the least.
And for the record the record for goalie consecutive games played is like 503 games iirc.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Bernier's been stringing together a series of very boring outings, which is a nice sign.

You said it. Boring outings. Reduced intensity. No pressure.

Bernier thrives!

All he can do now is blow our draft position, and you know what, he just might "achieve" that!

marquee

Apr 7, 2011

yup that lockout year which can be considered an anomaly. ask ray emery.

This summer will prove if reimer has the value you fans believe he does.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Good again tonight. 5 straight games allowing 2 or less.

Continues to build on his strong second half.

Yup, his sv % since Jan 1 should be above .920. He's been solid for a couple of weeks now and has never allowed a soft goal, which is a good sign for him.

In fact, here graph that shows his percentage of shots saved vs league average (bottom):

Screen-Shot-2016-03-26-at-4.34.47-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2016-03-26-at-4.34.00-PM.png

He's had a disastrous first half of the season and got compared to the likes of Toskala and Gustavson for having a weak mental game. I seriously thought he may never bounce back to his 2012-2013 form even close to it. Ever since being called up, it looks like he's found his game back. He may have mental lapses time from time, but has any weak mental goalie ever bounced back after what he went through? Even his haters should admit he has the canny ability to look past his bad performances and at least put together a solid couple of games.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yup, his sv % since Jan 1 should be above .920. He's been solid for a couple of weeks now and has never allowed a soft goal, which is a good sign for him.

In fact, here graph that shows his percentage of shots saved vs league average (bottom):

Screen-Shot-2016-03-26-at-4.34.47-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2016-03-26-at-4.34.00-PM.png

He's had a disastrous first half of the season and got compared to the likes of Toskala and Gustavson for having a weak mental game. I seriously thought he may never bounce back to his 2012-2013 form even close to it. Ever since being called up, it looks like he's found his game back. He may have mental lapses time from time, but has any weak mental goalie ever bounced back after what he went through? Even his haters should admit he has the canny ability to look past his bad performances and at least put together a solid couple of games.

I am becoming more and more convinced that he was still recovering from the groin last year. Agrivated it this year and took some time to become healthy once again.
His lateral movement is once again lightening fast. Hopefully this is his norm from now on.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I don't like 1A, 1B tandems. Being the clear veteran #1 helps Bernier I think. Sparks is up, but I don't really think Bernier feels threatened with him (nothing against Sparks but he's definitely not near #1 capable yet).

It's very easy to see why Bernier probably still a easily moved asset, he definitely is among the most efficient goalies in the league in terms of movements and positional ability. He directs pucks to the corners and out of play, he doesn't go down early, and he plays a very composed style. I thought he looked better than Rask tonight... Rask can scramble occasionally too. Rather keep Bernier and give him the uncontested spot early.

Last edited:

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
this whole lame Reimer vs. Bernier discussion went on for years. Sensible fans who knew that both of them were going to be gone in due time stayed on the sidelines. Well guess what. As predicted, one of them is already gone. And Bernier is the next to go. And then this whole thing will be dead. Why these Reimer/Bernier discussions went on for so long is beyond me, we all knew both of them were being shipped out at some point. Some fans refuse to look at the bigger picture and instead insist on arguing over microscopic points when it's all moot to begin with. Bernier will be gone shortly and and the next era will shift into gear.

Mad Brills*

I'd keep him for next season, but I'm not against bringing in competition for the #1 job.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
The goalie market worries me right now. Ducks fans seem to think Andersen is worth a 1st which is just entirely unreasonable, and nobody else stands out even a little. As much as people might hate to see it, they might just ride Bernier for another year. He's still likely not the solution in net, but none of the guys available this summer seem worth breaking the bank over.

We got nothing because Babcock overused him and let him peak in November and then brought him back too early after injury. No wonder Reimer's performance went down.

Ive now officially heard three coaches (Wilson, Carlyle, Babs) blamed for Reimers struggles. It seems like nobody but his feverant fanbase understands him.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well, fan bases are usually poor indicators of players value. Goalies rarely go for 1sts unless they're near bluechip level.

I'd be fine riding Bernier's current contract out and then looking for his replacement next offseason - however, I just get the vibe that Babcock isn't a fan. Though maybe Bernier's good play the last few games has changed things around.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
We got nothing because Babcock overused him and let him peak in November and then brought him back too early after injury. No wonder Reimer's performance went down. But he recovered from it now, 2 shutouts in his last 4 games and only 1 goal against in EV in those 4 games.

Babcock has no feeling for workload and how could he, he was a loser in his active career. Sport is all about timing, to do the right things at the right time.

:laugh: Oh my god, you're blaming Babcock for Reimer falling off?

Reimer hasn't sustained a good performance for more than 40 games in his entire career and now you're trying to blame the best coach in hockey instead of admitting Reimer just isn't that good...

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
No thanks. I think we just saw first hand what a headache a 1a and 1b tandem can be.

they need to get a backup imo from the UFA market but even Babs doesn't want 2 guys fighting for the job really, he's said at the beginning of the year he prefers one guy to be the starter so he doesn't have to worry about them.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I personally would get a reasonable backup and go with Bernier next year
Andersen is not worth the asking price if duck fans are any indication (I hope there GM is not that delusional)
Wait for the expansion draft then go shopping

imapylon

Mar 6, 2016
I've been a fan of Berner prior to his drafting and know he's able to be a starter in the NHL. I'm fine with giving him another shot at the position next season. If we build him up and trade him that's cool too. Glad to see him playing well

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The goalie market worries me right now. Ducks fans seem to think Andersen is worth a 1st which is just entirely unreasonable, and nobody else stands out even a little. As much as people might hate to see it, they might just ride Bernier for another year. He's still likely not the solution in net, but none of the guys available this summer seem worth breaking the bank over.

Ive now officially heard three coaches (Wilson, Carlyle, Babs) blamed for Reimers struggles. It seems like nobody but his feverant fanbase understands him.

Don't forget the goalie coaches

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad