Jonathan Bernier - Player Discussion 2016

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I'm just enjoying watching the people get on and off the bandwagon.

Couple good games?

Back aboard the we love Bernier and always thought he was better than Reimer train! Choo-choo!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
nice to see bernie wasn't content to see his career fizzle.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
3809178.jpg

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
It took all of 2015 for Bernier to start looking like he's getting back his form. Hopefully one massive cold streak is replaced with one massive hot streak for 2016 and be on the Leafs or traded to another team, I wish him the best of luck.

Watching him this past year was just painfully disheartening.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

Couple good games?

Back aboard the we love Bernier and always thought he was better than Reimer train! Choo-choo!

Bernier has always been better than Reimer, partly due to the fact that Reimer can't stay healthy and because just simply, he's the superior goaltender.

*Incoming sv% stats from Zeke*

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
It took all of 2015 for Bernier to start looking like he's getting back his form. Hopefully one massive cold streak is replaced with one massive hot streak for 2016 and be on the Leafs or traded to another team, I wish him the best of luck.

Watching him this past year was just painfully disheartening.

Like 4 years of Reimer condensed in a couple months...:sarcasm:

those feels..

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Bernier has always been better than Reimer, partly due to the fact that Reimer can't stay healthy and because just simply, he's the superior goaltender.

Reimer can't stay healthy more than Bernier and Bernier the better goalie is a myth.

Bernier has had surgery due to injury, no?

Has Reimer had surgery due to injury or is our new Sports sciences ensuring that doesn't happen, so he's all good in the groin area for the 2nd half of the season?

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

If Reimer wouldn't be overused always and wouldn't need to play cold after Bernier gets pulled it would be much easier for him. Those 11 games in 22 nights Reimer played in November is a workload Bernier only can dream of.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011

Couple good games?

Everything always has to be a "bandwagon" around here. We can't be angry when someone is playing like **** and be happy when they're playing good?

Fact is Bernier was playing very bad before we sent him down to the AHL, and he even had some stinkers since coming back up, but he's been solid lately, let's hope it keeps up. I do expect Reimer to retain the #1 job though once he's back from injury.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
If Reimer wouldn't be overused always and wouldn't need to play cold after Bernier gets pulled it would be much easier for him. Those 11 games in 22 nights Reimer played in November is a workload Bernier only can dream of.

While I often take issue with your posts about goalie usage, I do agree that it was a questionable decision to put Reimer in against the Islanders coming off an injury and with the expectation that he was also going to play the following night.

Bernier should have been pulled in the sense that things could have gotten even uglier, but given that it was a back to back with Reimer coming off an injury, if I was Babcock I might have just left Bernier in in that instance (although to his credit he tried; he could have pulled him after the fourth goal but left him in to give him a chance to rebound but it just wasn't happening).

Bernier has also had groin issues in the past, so I'm not really concerned about either goalie's long term injury concerns; they're being very cautious with Reimer and he seems unwilling to put himself in a bad position by coming back when he isn't 100% as he might have done in the past.

All in all though, it's allowed Bernier to get some confidence and some wins, which doesn't hurt his trade value, and Reimer is not out long term, so the harm done is not really the end of the world.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Sorry.
if Reimer was on the bench - Reimer assumes the risks that he plays. end of story.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin

Couple good games?

Please identify those people. I have the feeling that we are divided between Reimer fanboys and objektive hockey fans. Can't see many bandwagoners.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
Please identify those people. I have the feeling that we are divided between Reimer fanboys and objektive hockey fans. Can't see many bandwagoners.

Yea pretty much. Fans have been lukewarm pretty much towards berneir since he got here. he doesnt have a cult fan base.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario

Hogwash. Objectively speaking, given both career totals, they're currently about as even in SV% as it gets.

REIMER: 192 RS GP - .915 SV%
Bernier: 193 RS GP - .914 SV%

So drop the Reimer fanboy BS. No wonder things are divided about who the starter should be.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Hogwash. Objectively speaking, given both career totals, they're currently about as even in SV% as it gets.

So drop the Reimer fanboy BS. No wonder things are divided about who the starter should be.

There's fanboys on both sides. Nobody can admit their bias, but I do find it interesting this thread gets busy after one or two good Bernier games.

I'm assuming most of 2015 they avoided it like the plague.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
There's fanboys on both sides. Nobody can admit their bias, but I do find it interesting this thread gets busy after one or two good Bernier games.

I'm on Reimer's side for the simple reason that we drafted him and the numbers now show that there was no reason now to have traded for Bernier in the summer of 2013.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

Actually, this thread was far more active when Bernier was playing like utter **** and everybody and their dog wanted to run him out of town.

The haters keep the Bernier thread going more so than the Bernier supporters. Most notably you, and MikeBabchuk.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

He can't. It was just a statement to rile up the masses. A.K.A, he was trolling.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Two decent goalies that have very good streaks and very bad streaks.

Neither of whom have risen to the top to show that they can be completely reliable starting goaltenders in the National Hockey League.

I'm not sure what the debate is about.

They are what they are.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011

Bernice played 193 games as a leaf?

Keep it objective compare them in their team as a duo. Or will those results not favor your agenda?

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Yea pretty much. Fans have been lukewarm pretty much towards berneir since he got here. he doesnt have a cult fan base.

Most fans bought the media propaganda that he was going to be a superstar though. It certainly fed the bandwagon mentality from the get go, with lots of people buying in, especially casual fans, while another group realized that Reimer was being thrown under the bus and undervalued in his own right, and then of course there are those who don't really care either way.

I think the issue with the fan perceptions of our goalies has been the lack of objectivity. There always seems to be some underlying notions that guide people's opinions one way or the other rather than simply judging them by their play and conduct here and now rather than their play from two or five years ago, or their draft positions or other relatively irrelevant things.

I'm guilty of this too, because unfortunately it has become a cyclic thing where it becomes difficult for people on either side to discuss either goalie without bringing up past events or what have you.

For example, it's tough to come in here and congratulate Bernier for a good game because one sees, right away, a bunch of over-zealous posts about Bernier's return to superstardom and smear posts about Reimer. It's become rather sad, really, and it drags everyone down to the same level -- they dissed Reimer, so, even on an unconscious level, one ends up dissing Bernier in response, and vice versa.

I do think by the end of this season management is going to have to make a choice between one or the other, for the obvious financial reasons and because it's time to see who has earned the job by then and make a commitment to him for at least next season and then go from there.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

best seasons to worst.

Reimer '13: 40gms, .924 (lockout)
Bernier '14: 55gms, .922

Reimer '11: 37gms, .921 (+AHL 15gms, .920)
Bernier '15: 58gms, .912

Reimer '16: 17gms, .936
Bernier '13: 15gms, .922

Reimer '14: 36gms, .911
Bernier '11: 25gms, .913

Reimer '15: 35gms, .907
Bernier '12: 16gms, .908

Reimer '12: 34gms, .900
Bernier '16: 18gms, .896 (+AHL 4gms, .948)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00