Value of: Jonas Brodin.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Brodin is 6 years younger at a lower cap hit and has no NTC/NMC. Petry on the other hand is a RHD and has offered more offense(one could argue Brodin has the potential for around the same production as Petry on a more offensively minded team). Same term left for both.

I think Wild are more reluctant on getting rid of Brodin than Habs are with Petry, so with that in mind I'd say Brodin.
Is their age really a factor in a win now trade? Both have the same term and are UFA after that. Need to renew the same summer as the expansion draft too...
I think Petry is better overall because of the offense he brings. I'd give him the edge in transition too.
Comes down to acquiring team preferences IMO, but in a vacuum I would prefer Petry to win now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Karlsson would be an extreme end and he received Chris Tierney (2nd round pick), Dylan DeMelo (6th round pick), Josh Norris (1st round pick), 2nd round pick, and (2) 1st round picks (I believe. The conditionals are a headache).

Karlsson is like two tiers above Brodin in terms of trade value. Muzzin and McDonagh returns are more close to Brodin. However, they are only bench marks and I believe the Wild only trade Brodin with pry away value. Same goes for Petry with the Habs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is their age really a factor in a win now trade? Both have the same term and are UFA after that. Need to renew the same summer as the expansion draft too...
I think Petry is better overall because of the offense he brings. I'd give him the edge in transition too.
Comes down to acquiring team preferences IMO, but in a vacuum I would prefer Petry to win now.

Age is not a huge factor when they are in their early 30's, trending well, and have 2 or less years in term left. If you plan on extending them, that is on the team who is acquiring them... like McDonagh with the Lightning or Muzzin with the Leafs.

If the player is 30, not trending bad or good, but has 5 years in term left... that can be an issue in terms of how they hold their value from 30-35 ish.

Brodin will be 28 when his next contract kick in. If the team acquiring him wants to extend him and feels like they can have a good shot at it, this can be a factor. And it depends on what the teams are after... Brodin is a LD and Petry is a RD. I think both can play both sides but lets face it, they are at their best on side they shoot.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I mean if someone told Minnesota they could trade their 1st in like 2015 (20th overall), Zach Phillips and Jason Zucker for Dougie Hamilton and a 2nd round pick, I'd definitely do that.

Prospects sometimes carry very little weight.

Also shrewd deals? Remember trading Jeff Skinner for a 2nd, a 3rd and a 6th?

Brodin has 1.5 years, but Burns had that as well when he was traded. Brodin plays both sides (and well) and has shown to be very adaptable to his partner. He is pretty much plug and play.

Where is Fox and Ferland? Fox got traded for a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick and Ferland walked. So, Hamilton and then they had to trade Fox and Ferland walked. Oh wow.

Here's some 28th overall picks: Shane Bowers, Lucas Johansen, Anthony Beauvillier...

It's not like Suzuki is a top prospect either. He's a good prospect (concerns about his injuries aren't even brought up). The biggest piece being moved would be Gauthier and who knows if Toronto's pick would be in the mid or last part of the 1st round.

Just a small clarification, it was two 2nd round picks for Fox (the 3rd became a 2nd this year because Fox played more than 20 games). Last year's 2nd they turned into Jameson Rees and Antoni Honka and they get the NYR 2nd round pick this draft as well.

Before you give me an "oh wow", I'm not debating the merit of that trade, just correcting the statement above.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Karlsson would be an extreme end and he received Chris Tierney (2nd round pick), Dylan DeMelo (6th round pick), Josh Norris (1st round pick), 2nd round pick, and (2) 1st round picks (I believe. The conditionals are a headache).

Erik Karlsson? Shouldn’t even be brought up in this thread.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Brodin was a 10 OA pick that worked out exceptionally well, and far better than most 10 OA picks. He is at his peak, and shows signs of getting better. Don't know why it's such a shocker that MN wants at least that value, if not more.

A recent article in the Athletic (by a non mn writer ) named him the best defensive Dman in the NHL according to the metrics he used.

He is a suPerb skater, great at defending rushes, well above average in puck battles, and is a one man breakout machine due to his skill and inventiveness. He is now the guy that the Wild try to get out against McDavid, as Suter no longer has the footspeed. It's actually a bit more com
I acted than that because they'd rather put out Spurgeon and Brodin against him, but Dumba and Suter together are kind of a disaster...so.

As Suter and Spurgeon age, he will be the bedrock upon which the Wild defense is built. Trading him away for a mid/
Late first and a meh prospect makes no sense.

If a Wild Dman needs to be traded, then I think it will be next year, once it can be determined if Dumba rebounds. No need to rush with trading either of those two, unless someone blows them away with an offer.

Last edited:

Alikhan Alizada

Jul 16, 2017
When was the last time a young defensemen of Brodin's caliber was traded? Larsson got Taylor Hall back. Muzzin, who was 28 turning 29 got a 1st, the rights to a prospect and Grundson from Toronto.

I mean Travis Hamonic got a 1st round pick and two second round picks. Dougie Hamilton got a first round pick (mid) and two high second round picks. And then was traded for Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin, two top 5 picks. Hrm...

Dude you're such a fake. Dougie hamilton didnt fetch Hanifin and lindholm. Micheal ferland and adam fox were in the deal. Brodin has 1.5 years left to UFA. Hamilton was signed long term and on a good deal. Hamilton fetched 1st , 2nd , 2nd because he was much younger and better than Brodin. Adam larsson fetched Hall and how did that turn out everybody knew it was a god damn awful deal. Keep twisting everything. Also didnt mean that he was traded for two top 5 picks that it was a good deal. Lindholm and hanifin didnt have top 5 value when they were traded. It's like saying we will give u lias andersson puljujarvi for Brodin. Happy? 3rd OVA pick and 8th OVA pick.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I find advanced stats to be particularly important when Identifying a good defenseman. The eye test with Brodin suggests that he’s a stud D-man who you can trust to shut-down the best players in the league. The advanced stats only conform that he’s a legit top-pair guy. Brodin is top 20 among defenseman in WAR this year which brings extreme value. I think it makes sense to move him because of the rebuilding position the wild are in and he could return a ton of assets, but I do think people devalue him too much based on point-production when it’s honestly a pretty overrated stat when evaluating a defenseman.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Brodin can extend this summer. I think only reason he would get traded now would be unwillingness to extend in MIN.

2021 summer he is 27yo solid UFA with 600 NHL games in top4. Looking at 6-7 years contract and the team can't really lose unless he gets injured. There is no reason to believe he won't be a 1200 NHL game vet by the end of his career.
He is a great bet on getting a value contract as well. Since he isnt racking up points or goals he isnt gonna get a massive deal, his defensive impact is huge.

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
Khovanov is 19... Rees is 18 and has 50 points in 29 games for Sarnia one of the worst teams in OHL. Rees is a better player than Khovanov. Rees has a top 5 PNHLE.

Doesn't make it that he's ready for nhl or good. Kaprizov is more ready for wild considering khl ,& nhl size rink. The ohl rink in terms of size is way different

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
Doesn't make it that he's ready for nhl or good. Kaprizov is more ready for wild considering khl ,& nhl size rink. The ohl rink in terms of size is way different
kaprizov is better i agree, but Rees is definitely better than Khovanov.. Rees is putting up insane points on an ass team. Only issue with him is his dirty hits.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Khovanov is 19... Rees is 18 and has 50 points in 29 games for Sarnia one of the worst teams in OHL. Rees is a better player than Khovanov. Rees has a top 5 PNHLE.
My point is that 2nd/3rd rounders having great D+1 CHL seasons isn't unheard of. It's also not unheard of for those guys to be flashes in the pan.

If the idea is that Rees' PNHLe is evidence of the unflappable shrewdness of Carolina's management, which would, in turn, prevent it from offering a worthwhile package for Brodin? Sure, we'll go with that.

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
My point is that 2nd/3rd rounders having great D+1 CHL seasons isn't unheard of. It's also not unheard of for those guys to be flashes in the pan.

If the idea is that Rees' PNHLe is evidence of the unflappable shrewdness of Carolina's management, which would, in turn, prevent it from offering a worthwhile package for Brodin? Sure, we'll go with that.
I know people may say Brodin is underrated, but I don’t get the hype. He was unnoticeable against Colorado last night. Brodin is worth a 1st and Bokk. Anything more is just a dumb deal.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

I don't think Rees is an untouchable prospect. I also think he's a very good one and would rather CAR hold onto him and see where his development goes. However, I think the issue with any CAR-MIN trade that would involve Brodin or Dumba goes back to the issue of value and asking price.

Does the Canes front office really think giving up one of their top 5 prospects (Suzuki, Rees, etc.) plus one of their 1st round picks this year is worth 1.5yrs of Brodin? Based on their past actions, I'd say no. On Dumba, who rightfully would command a larger package due to contract length and being a coveted RD, is that package also worth it? eh...maybe, but then you have the issue of 5D being paid over $4M in 20-21 and the expansion draft to deal with.

In the end, both MIN D are worth high returns and it seems like the ask reflects that. I don't see the management in CAR paying prices like that when there are other options, like Vatanen or DeMelo, that would cost a fraction of the price albeit as rentals.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Overpayment is what Russo has said about brodin and Dumba. Wild don't need wingers so it would most likely have to be a 1st & top 6 c prospect.

Wild aren't trading either unless they get what they want and it will be one or the other. Right now it's looks to be Dumba which can get wild that

....they don't?

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
I know people may say Brodin is underrated, but I don’t get the hype. He was unnoticeable against Colorado last night. Brodin is worth a 1st and Bokk. Anything more is just a dumb deal.
Really? Just because brodin didn't score? Brodin is one of the best dman in NHL facts! He's a shutdown dman & incredible skater

Reactions: Nsjohnson

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
kaprizov is better i agree, but Rees is definitely better than Khovanov.. Rees is putting up insane points on an ass team. Only issue with him is his dirty hits.

Time will tell. Khovanov is no slouch either. Only player in the Q with a higher PPG is Lafreniere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad