Value of: Jonas Brodin.

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
Overpayment is what Russo has said about brodin and Dumba. Wild don't need wingers so it would most likely have to be a 1st & top 6 c prospect.

Wild aren't trading either unless they get what they want and it will be one or the other. Right now it's looks to be Dumba which can get wild that

Alikhan Alizada

Jul 16, 2017
Overpayment is what Russo has said about brodin and Dumba. Wild don't need wingers so it would most likely have to be a 1st & top 6 c prospect.

Wild aren't trading either unless they get what they want and it will be one or the other. Right now it's looks to be Dumba which can get wild that

So you're more likely asking for a mid-late first. What would you consider top 6 prospect? Something like Hayten, Veleno, texier, poehling, Ryan Suzuki???

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

I'm pretty sure Russo hasn't said much of anything about what either would/should cost. Just that Carolina has shown interest in Brodin and a few other teams (Toronto, Vegas and Florida) could have. He's said almost nothing about Dumba other than that it'd be dangerous to trade him.

If Brodin's traded at the deadline it's probably a 1st + prospect sort of deal, and we can argue over what caliber of 1st or prospect. Personally I think the only way it makes sense to do that is if Guerin figures Brodin's not in the team's long term plans and isn't going to be offered an extension, which seems questionable to me right now. The Wild could probably absorb the blow and maintain a credible top-4, but Brodin plays a lot of hard minutes very well and isn't likely to break the bank on an extension.

I think if they can get a top-6 center under 28 for him or a lights-out center prospect it makes some sense. If it's a late 1st + a team's 7th best prospect I don't think it makes a lot of sense.

Alikhan Alizada

Jul 16, 2017
I'm pretty sure Russo hasn't said much of anything about what either would/should cost. Just that Carolina has shown interest in Brodin and a few other teams (Toronto, Vegas and Florida) could have. He's said almost nothing about Dumba other than that it'd be dangerous to trade him.

If Brodin's traded at the deadline it's probably a 1st + prospect sort of deal, and we can argue over what caliber of 1st or prospect. Personally I think the only way it makes sense to do that is if Guerin figures Brodin's not in the team's long term plans and isn't going to be offered an extension, which seems questionable to me right now. The Wild could probably absorb the blow and maintain a credible top-4, but Brodin plays a lot of hard minutes very well and isn't likely to break the bank on an extension.

I think if they can get a top-6 center under 28 for him or a lights-out center prospect it makes some sense. If it's a late 1st + a team's 7th best prospect I don't think it makes a lot of sense.

Well I'm curious to know how is Brodin viewed as a general D I dont watch him often but from what I've seen he can play both LHD and RHD but is better on the left and I'd consider him a good #3D.

Montreal wouldn't wanna trade their core players for Brodin and neither would they trade their 2020 1st. But let's say we acquire a 1st from a contender what other player/prospect would you want if that first ends up being in the 22 - 30 range.

Last edited:

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
one of the more underrated dmen in the league. You toss him with a solid team and this kid is a legitimate top 3 dman. He's steller defensively and IMO has a lot of untapped offensive potential. Those concussions/hits early on i think freaked him out a bit.. if those never happen, he'd have an OEL 2.0 100%

id take him in detroit in a minute.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
one of the more underrated dmen in the league. You toss him with a solid team and this kid is a legitimate top 3 dman. He's steller defensively and IMO has a lot of untapped offensive potential. Those concussions/hits early on i think freaked him out a bit.. if those never happen, he'd have an OEL 2.0 100%

Trading the assets it would require to get him is not a good idea for a team like Detroit

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

Detroit is too early in the rebuild to throw assets at mature players.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Brodin can extend this summer. I think only reason he would get traded now would be unwillingness to extend in MIN.

2021 summer he is 27yo solid UFA with 600 NHL games in top4. Looking at 6-7 years contract and the team can't really lose unless he gets injured. There is no reason to believe he won't be a 1200 NHL game vet by the end of his career.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Well I'm curious to know how is Brodin viewed as a general D I dont watch him often but from what I've seen he can play both LHD and RHD but is better on the left and I'd consider him a good #3D.

Montreal wouldn't wanna trade their core players for Brodin and neither would they trade their 2020 1st. But let's say we acquire a 1st from a contender what other player/prospect would you want if that first ends up being in the 22 - 30 range.
He can play both sides. When he started in the NHL he played on the right next to Suter, but since then has mostly played on the left. He's never struggled at either so I really don't know if he has a preferred or stronger side, but I'd assume it's the left.

He's always been a second-pairing guy in Minnesota with great defense and pretty non-existent offense. This season has been a little different though. I'm not going to say he's had an offensive explosion or anything, but he's been more engaged in the offensive zone and it's paid off. I'm not sure it's fair to cap him as a second pairing guy anymore.

I wouldn't want to trade him for a late 1st, and I don't really know why Guerin would either. If he wants an extra 1st pulling the trigger on Zucker to Pittsburgh seems like a better move.

Reactions: JP Flow

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Ultimately, if Brodin retired in a Wild sweater I would be the happiest fan there is. But I understand that in this business, it may not be best to force that into fruition given the state of the franchise and the potential return.

He is one of the best defensive defensemen in the league and assuming he stays healthy this year, he will have played well over 600 NHL games before he turns 27. He can play both sides defensively at an elite level and is now showing the ability to chip in a little offense, 20 points so far (19 of which are even strength or shorthanded) and on pace for 32 points this season with only a few games of regular PP time on the 2nd unit (like 4 games.) He is an immediate upgrade on the PK for nearly every team in the NHL. Basically, he is an all around stud and labeling him as a 'good 3d' is a slap in the face. If he is a 3d, he is an elite one.

A late 1st and meh prospect does not move the needle for us given his longevity left in the league and if history is any indication, he is still has "prime" years left. There are pieces out there I would move him for but a late first isn't one of them unless the prospect coming with it is viewed as sure fire. Top 6 C, top 10 pick are starting points if you don't have any earlier first.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
A late 1st and meh prospect does not move the needle for us given his longevity left in the league and if history is any indication, he is still has "prime" years left. There are pieces out there I would move him for but a late first isn't one of them unless the prospect coming with it is viewed as sure fire. Top 6 C, top 10 pick are starting points if you don't have any earlier first.

A top 10 pick as a starting point...really?

I get that a late first plus a prospect may not move the needle, but jeez. When was the last time any top 10 pick was moved for a player with 1.5yrs of term?

Reactions: Alikhan Alizada

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
A top 10 pick as a starting point...really?

I get that a late first plus a prospect may not move the needle, but jeez. When was the last time any top 10 pick was moved for a player with 1.5yrs of term?

You're right, I shouldn't have said starting point regarding the top 10 pick.

Alikhan Alizada

Jul 16, 2017
Ultimately, if Brodin retired in a Wild sweater I would be the happiest fan there is. But I understand that in this business, it may not be best to force that into fruition given the state of the franchise and the potential return.

He is one of the best defensive defensemen in the league and assuming he stays healthy this year, he will have played well over 600 NHL games before he turns 27. He can play both sides defensively at an elite level and is now showing the ability to chip in a little offense, 20 points so far (19 of which are even strength or shorthanded) and on pace for 32 points this season with only a few games of regular PP time on the 2nd unit (like 4 games.) He is an immediate upgrade on the PK for nearly every team in the NHL. Basically, he is an all around stud and labeling him as a 'good 3d' is a slap in the face. If he is a 3d, he is an elite one.

I said Good 3D but then again I said I dont watch him much. I would say he's a worse version of Slavin. By worse I dont mean bad and I wouldnt argue if you guys consider him as a #2D.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Who has more value? Petry or Brodin?
Brodin is 6 years younger at a lower cap hit and has no NTC/NMC. Petry on the other hand is a RHD and has offered more offense(one could argue Brodin has the potential for around the same production as Petry on a more offensively minded team). Same term left for both.

I think Wild are more reluctant on getting rid of Brodin than Habs are with Petry, so with that in mind I'd say Brodin.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
But if you want him, and you clearly do, then you. Must also believe getting him is a good idea

buddy, id also want someone like Hampy Lindholm on detroit too, doesnt have any correlation to me thinking its practical to obtain him.

wanting him and actually thinking at the point in the rebuild the wings should get him are completely different and if you cannot fathom that, i cant help you then.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
So in essence 3 1sts for him (Suzuki 28OA in 2019, Gauthier 21OA in 2016)? um...no...

That's essentially what Brent Burns got before he broke out. I think Minnesota can offer a 2nd or a 2021 3rd round pick like the Burns deal, but Brodin is vastly underrated as a defenseman.

Burns got back Setoguchi (9th overall pick), Coyle (20s), and a mid 20s pick. Brodin gets back a mid to late 1st round pick, the 28th overall and 21st overall...Like Setoguchi, Suzuki has some concerns with health.

Burns was traded when he was 26 year old as well, which is how old Brodin is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad