Player Discussion Jonas Brodin

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I hope this change in coaching doesn't hinder Brodin's development. I think this year had to be a wake up call for him, and a coaching staff has to give him a combination of a boot up the rear and encouragement to get him to contribute more on the offensive end. There is no reason that he shouldn't be getting 20 pts./yr..

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I hope this change in coaching doesn't hinder Brodin's development. I think this year had to be a wake up call for him, and a coaching staff has to give him a combination of a boot up the rear and encouragement to get him to contribute more on the offensive end. There is no reason that he shouldn't be getting 20 pts./yr..

I'm sure someone out there is tracking a stat like "time with puck." Guys that immediate chip it off the board or clear it out of the zone tend not to score many points. He is definitely capable of joining a rush, but plays it safe - often to his credit - but his fancy stats suggest a middling player.

One thing with him is how quickly he turned pro, never really getting the chance to develop puck skill in FBK's juniors. I agree he always seems capable of more, but it's hard to imagine him carrying the puck into offensive zone the way guys like Klingberg, Ekholm, or Josi are doing now - or like even Mike Reilly does.

I don't know this blog but this is an interesting piece: http://www.hockeyminority.com/?p=203

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
So far, 8th in the entire league in 5v5 P/60 (Klefbom 108th). Take that Oiler fans. Sample sizes be damned!

But seriously, 4 points in 6 games versus last year's 7 in 64 and a positive possession player so far; minus the horrendous turnover against Winnipeg, it's been a pretty good start for him.

Last edited:

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
So far, 8th in the entire league in P/60 (Klefbom 108th). Take that Oiler fans. Sample sizes be damned!

But seriously, 4 points in 6 games versus last year's 7 in 64 and a positive possession player so far; minus the horrendous turnover against Winnipeg, it's been a pretty good start for him.

He has been great overall. Excluding the TO against 'Peg. I have always been pro-Brodin but am very glad he is getting PP time with Spurg out, he moves the puck so well up top it will be hard to take him off the 2nd unit.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So far, 8th in the entire league in P/60 (Klefbom 108th). Take that Oiler fans. Sample sizes be damned!

They seem to be using him in more protected minutes so far this year. Maybe to try and force some offence out of him? Dumba in a more defensive roll to force that side out of him (even before Spurgeon went down)?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Yep. But his previous non-threat reputation was a bit overblown.

I don't think it was. He had 17 primary points in his first 5000 minutes of 5v5 hockey. If it wasn't for a high shooting percentage his 2nd year, it would be lower. Scandella has that in 1st assists the last 3 seasons in 3,500 minutes.

The reputation he's got, he's earned. Great to see him turn it around, and he'll probably surpass his career totals in primary points this year. But it wasn't a fictitious reputation. He showed no offensive inclination int he past.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Are you forgetting the playoffs last year? Yeo marginalized his offense. He had a very set role for him, and it didn't include PP, or Ozone FO's.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Are you forgetting the playoffs last year? Yeo marginalized his offense. He had a very set role for him, and it didn't include PP, or Ozone FO's.

If this is in response to my comment, i provided Scandella as an example who under Yeo outperformed Brodin with some of the hardest minutes in the NHL the last 3 years. Nothing but D zone starts.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't think it was. He had 17 primary points in his first 5000 minutes of 5v5 hockey. If it wasn't for a high shooting percentage his 2nd year, it would be lower. Scandella has that in 1st assists the last 3 seasons in 3,500 minutes.

The reputation he's got, he's earned. Great to see him turn it around, and he'll probably surpass his career totals in primary points this year. But it wasn't a fictitious reputation. He showed no offensive inclination int he past.

I don't think that 20ish points (paced for the lockout year and for missed games) in the NHL for a 19, 20, 21 year old that didn't have a prior offensive responsibilities was too out of line for what expectations were/should've been.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nothing wrong with Scandella, either.
Brodin has all the tools to be a decent or better offensive player, in addition to be a very good or better defensive player, but Yeo chose not to develop him offensively. Is it all Yeo's fault? No. Brodin tends to be passive, and concentrate on D, but BB and Stevens haven't let him settle.

I still think he played well last year, and part of his lack of output was due to his injury( broken foot) , not playing with Suter, and bad luck.

Scandella is the next guy I want to see get going. Still doesn't have his timing back yet, and playing with guys like Prosser, Folin, and Dumba is a far cry from playing with Spurgeon.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
If this is in response to my comment, i provided Scandella as an example who under Yeo outperformed Brodin with some of the hardest minutes in the NHL the last 3 years. Nothing but D zone starts.

But Jonas had more defensive zone starts in the last 3 seasons than Marco...

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
I'll always remember his first season where he scored multiple times from the high slot with nice shot placement that would beat the goalie clean.

I will forever trust him to capitalize on good scoring chances. (the kind Granlund seems to always just miss)

It too bad most of his offensive rushes he is in the position where he needs to drive the net, I think he would be great as the high man driving the top of the circles.

He shoots the puck when it needs to be shot, instead of delaying looking for something better like a lot of our players.

Last edited:

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Brodin is doing an awful job this year....

in keeping Las Vegas not interested in him. Glad to see his finally using his tools in a more offensive way, that goal tonight vs NSH was pure filth, just a freaking snipe.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It's weird seeing Brodin has as many PPP as the rest of the d-men (not named Suter) combined.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Brodin is doing an awful job this year....

in keeping Las Vegas not interested in him. Glad to see his finally using his tools in a more offensive way, that goal tonight vs NSH was pure filth, just a freaking snipe.

It was pure filthness, especially when heard that zing and moments afterwards understood what happened.. Brodin with the benefits. Gold.

E: But those Golden whatever Vegasese.. it's a no no. Someone else must be handed for them. Kind of tough because Zucker, Granny, Dumba been looking real good too lately.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
QM7mjrOJrcDZK4lXhGyjSOHuaRS1IrXTBcqk4ZT393s8=w518-h291-p-no

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
But Jonas had more defensive zone starts in the last 3 seasons than Marco...

No he hasn't. He had more last year, probably because Yeo lost faith that he was going to develop offense after the previous two years, so he put him in situations he had excelled in. The D zone. But over the course of the last 3 years(2013-2016) Scandella had 43% O zone starts, while Brodin had 48% O zone Starts.

Should be noted, that Scandella is back to getting the hard minutes this year with 41% O zone starts while Brodin is getting 45% (which is still hard minutes, but not to the level of Scandella's).

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I don't think that 20ish points (paced for the lockout year and for missed games) in the NHL for a 19, 20, 21 year old that didn't have a prior offensive responsibilities was too out of line for what expectations were/should've been.

It's not the raw points, more of how the % of Primary points. Points that he had a more direct involvement in. It was alot lower than you'd like.

Those first few years, he got a lot of secondary assists by being on the ice alot with the top units.

And don't get me wrong, i'm absolutely thrilled Brodin's taken the step he has, and do believe it's an actual evolution of his game as opposed to a luck based thing where he's just getting lucky. He's earning these points. And has gone from a guy likely to be exposed in expansion in the offseason, to near lock to be protected.

I just think it's revisionist history to suggest the criticism of his offensive game in the past wasn't warranted. He's always had the tools, but showed zero inclination to use them.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
No he hasn't. He had more last year, probably because Yeo lost faith that he was going to develop offense after the previous two years, so he put him in situations he had excelled in. The D zone. But over the course of the last 3 years(2013-2016) Scandella had 43% O zone starts, while Brodin had 48% O zone Starts.

Should be noted, that Scandella is back to getting the hard minutes this year with 41% O zone starts while Brodin is getting 45% (which is still hard minutes, but not to the level of Scandella's).

I looked at total D-zone starts from the last 3 full seasons.

1281 to 1226. (Brodin)

See your point though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad