Prospect Info: Jonah "The Man Child" Gadjovich

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Reminds me of the year my Wednesday night Tier 3 coed bowling team sent down our #3 male bowler to our developmental squad....... to make room for a older guy making a comeback after being in rehab.........

Different sport... both very competitive... but similar situation.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Losing him isn't a particularly huge deal (though I agree bad process), but this is yet further evidence that folks have to stop declaring drafting to be good (or great!) just because they don't immediately hate a guy right after he's drafted. You can't have it both ways.

Got to wait and see? :nod:

To be fair, Gadjovich was a late 2nd which might as well be a 3rd. Not getting a player out of the Lind pick hurts.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
My heart says they didn’t play him to try and sneak him thru waivers.

My brain tells me otherwise.

I never understood this "sneak him through waivers" argument. It never made sense to me at any time (not just talking about Gads).

Like, how hard is it for other teams to just...look at a list? If a team had a passing interest in a player, via pro scouting, prior to them being waived, it's not like they're just gonna miss that he's on waivers.

Are people really thinking opposing clubs' brass are looking at the waiver list and thinking, "well damn, 20 players at once, I can't read all those names, guess I'll just ignore it". Like seriously. This is a crazy thought process.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I never understood this "sneak him through waivers" argument. It never made sense to me at any time (not just talking about Gads).

Like, how hard is it for other teams to just...look at a list? If a team had a passing interest in a player, via pro scouting, prior to them being waived, it's not like they're just gonna miss that he's on waivers.

Are people really thinking opposing clubs' brass are looking at the waiver list and thinking, "well damn, 20 players at once, I can't read all those names, guess I'll just ignore it". Like seriously. This is a crazy thought process.

It’s basically from people who think that fantasy hockey is real life.

Reactions: Christina Woloski

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker

I think it's more like, trying to send him down when teams' rosters are full and decided, and they don't want to give some other guy's spot who already made the team to him.

Problem is, not all other teams' rosters are decided yet. So the logic of "sneaking him down" really doesn't present itself.

The time to "sneak him down", if that's something you wanted to try to do, would be at least a few games into the season, I'd say.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Maybe only a 20% chance of him being a player. That being said, he deserved a look after last year, improving his skating over the summer, and having a good preseason in his limited minutes. Because he doesn't PK isn't an excuse. None of Macewan, Petan, De Giuseppe, Dowling have a lot of PK time at the NHL level. Chiasson was a pk guy a few years ago but didn't do any in Edmonton.

This video is kinda funny now. Completion for the bottom of the roster = if you can somewhat play the PK, are a former Winterhawk, or a veteran you make the team.

Good luck to Burroughs to make the team over Schenn.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

For Markstrom it made sense. He was a 25 yo prospect that couldn't stick in the NHL. Gadjovich is a perfect waiver claim for a team like SJ. Still improving and has an actual shot of being an NHL player and has tools that coaches drool over.

I don't get it either. With the internet it is now known to everyone that he has improved his skating. For the reasons above Gads was a worth a gamble unlike the majority of waiver bound players. That teams have the information about his skating makes Trying to hide him even less sense.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Prometheus

May 14, 2018
"So your unworshipfulness, all I have to do is throw away assets like candy and I get to be GM of the Canucks for all eternity? No contract for my soul? Am I really in Hell?"

"Yes this IS Hell. But not for you..."

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Bummer to lose Gadjovich. We need depth, and he's a guy who should have been able to fill in reliably on the bottom 6.

How many home grown, bottom 6 players has this team developed? Zach is far from being a regular contributor at this point also. Why am I struggling to come up with names beyond him and Jannick Hansen?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Is this going to be the official spin?

It's not a spin. High draft picks tend to get more opportunities. Do you not agree?

Gadjovich was a late 2nd round pick who could easily have been a 3rd (as others have alluded to - not many here were happy with the pick in the first place). 9 picks separated Gadjovich and Dipietro. Missing out on getting an NHL player out of that pick is not that big of a deal.

Kole Lind on the other hand was a high 2nd round pick who the Canucks had ranked higher (late first). There were quite a few players who could easily have been considered BPAs at that spot who turned out to be much better players. Not getting an NHL player out of that pick hurts. That's all I'm saying.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Lind and Gadjivich lost for nothing in the same offseason. That is pretty funny.
So if both are Part of that group of 7 prospects that Benning mentioned at the 2020 tdl that means that they lost 2/7 guys and have dealt away 7/12 draft picks in the first 3 rounds from 2019-2022 drafts.

in 8 drafts how many non first rounders has Benning drafted that are in the nhl this season?

Demko, Forsling, Gaudette?

assuming Gadjovich starts with SJ.

lockwood likely sent to the A soon.

Not much do a drafting record as only 1 of those non first rounders is still with the team in the nhl.

edit forgot Hoglander. That’s 2 on the roster.

Last edited:

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
It's not a spin. High draft picks tend to get more opportunities. Do you not agree?

Gadjovich was a late 2nd round pick who could easily have been a 3rd (as others have alluded to - not many here were happy with the pick in the first place). 9 picks separated Gadjovich and Dipietro. Missing out on getting an NHL player out of that pick is not that big of a deal.

Kole Lind on the other hand was a high 2nd round pick who the Canucks had ranked higher (late first). There were quite a few players who could easily have been considered BPAs at that spot who turned out to be much better players. Not getting an NHL player out of that pick hurts. That's all I'm saying.
Draft position doesn't even matter, here. He was a player the Canucks have developed in the system for half a decade, who improved the weakest part of his game, and scored at an incredible clip in the AHL. In his limited preseason minutes, he produced.

Equating him to his draft position is pretty silly. You look at a player for what they are and what they have the potential to be. Not where they're drafted.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
So if both are Part of that group of 7 prospects that Benning mentioned at the 2020 tdl that means that they lost 2/7 guys and have dealt away 7/12 draft picks in the first 3 rounds from 2019-2022 drafts.

in 8 drafts how many non first rounders has Benning drafted that are in the nhl this season?

Demko, Forsling, Gaudette?

assuming Gadjovich starts with SJ.

lockwood likely sent to the A soon.

Not much do a drafting record as only 1 of those non first rounders is still with the team in the nhl.
Forget later round picks. How many 1st round picks has a GM with a supposed rebuilding team dealt? As many (I think) as Burke, Nonis, and Gillis combined. Think about that.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Just dropping by to witness the inevitable comments excoriating management and declaring Gadjovich to be the next Cam Neely..............the guys with an agenda on this board (most of you) are gonna eat this up arent' you?

Reactions: Zippgunn

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Draft position doesn't even matter, here. He was a player the Canucks have developed in the system for half a decade, who improved the weakest part of his game, and scored at an incredible clip in the AHL. In his limited preseason minutes, he produced.

Equating him to his draft position is pretty silly. You look at a player for what they are and what they have the potential to be. Not where they're drafted.

I don't really disagree with that. My comments were made in response to comments about drafting. So it would make sense that I talk about his draft position no?

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I'm not a big fan of Gadjovich and I think the odds of him turning into a legit NHLer are fairly low, but keeping waiver junk over young players that could turn into something is still stupid. Par for the course I suppose.

Reactions: tantalum

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016

No, they are thinking that all teams have too many players at this time and they also have to waive some guys....so why would they pick up another guy and make the situation even move difficult for them. Plus, teams seem to have an elevated view of the potential of their own players over other teams rejects.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Just dropping by to witness the inevitable comments excoriating management and declaring Gadjovich to be the next Cam Neely..............the guys with an agenda on this board (most of you) are gonna eat this up arent' you?

speaking of agendas... it's clear you'd rather blindly follow whatever preconceived notion about why fans lose their minds over such situations than actually take the time to understand that it's not *this* situation, it's the amalgamation of all the situations and the fact that alebit this is mostly a non-issue, it's one that didn't need to happen (like many others).

Or you can pop in, cite "agenda! everyone but ME is bias!" and roll out with no actual contribution or argument against "the guys with an agenda" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad