Prospect Info: Jonah "The Man Child" Gadjovich

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
lmao my god, are you all living in some fantasy world where Jonah Gadjovich was going to make or break the canucks season

some of you need to stop watching hockey if your hatred for jim benning has warped your head into thinking like this.

no surprise the eeyore's of the board are out in full force

better all pitch in for another banner to be flown

There is literally no one saying he's going to be an impact player. Like no one.

The problem with the decision is obvious. By all accounts except for the "brain"trust of the organization he's had a hell of a camp and definitely out competed others on merit. There is no way around it. That is an issue. That's an issue in that players aren't getting rewarded on merit for positions on a squad where track record doesn't mean much (and the competition track records aren't good to begin with). That's an issue for other longer term development prospects who see a guy put in the work and not get any sort of reward for it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Benning could have delayed even more and waited for more team to fill up rosters

so he has some blame. Not all
I think he could have reduced the odds is what I am saying.

It's hard to say. The prevailing wisdom seems to be that teams typically like their prospects better. I think that's one big reason why you see so many names clear waivers at this time of year. We see that plenty of teams were making cuts at this time and it was probably as good as any to sneak a player down.

I think it's harder to get a player through waivers towards the start of the regular season. By then teams would have already had an extended look at what their roster would look like, injuries may have occurred, or players expected to start the season aren't ready.

The Sharks, for example, have only 1 preseason games left to make their decision on opening night rosters. The Canucks, on the other hand, has two.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I suppose it's a 'badge of honor' when other NHL bottom-feeders are claiming your young players before you can send them to the minors.

But of course it means the Canucks have 'zlich' to show for the second round of the 2017 draft....and in 2017, they were one of the worst teams in the entire NHL. So hitting on higher draft picks, is the only 'benefit' of being one of the league's bottom-feeders.

But four years after they were drafted, both Lind and Gadjovich are on waivers. I guess looking back, both players got off to rocky starts in the AHL so that should have given a clue about what kind of NHL players they'd likely become.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
lmao my god, are you all living in some fantasy world where Jonah Gadjovich was going to make or break the canucks season

that is not the point. this is an interesting situation. gadjovich is not your typical waiver pickup. he's a guy held out of games and practices who, if he was treated fairly at camp, was considered nowhere near nhl ready.

yet another team just took a chance here on the guy being nhl ready. he has been held out of main practice let alone given chances in preseason games. so right now you have to wonder how the sharks believe they can keep a guy on an nhl roster who couldn't get more than 10 minutes in a pre-season game here or even into games when sheldon dries was dressing.

right away that raises a question whether the team gave the kid a fair shake.

now if gadjovic cannot play and gets waived again, no harm, no foul.

but if gadjovic is able to play in the nhl and be effective, then either green is a complete jackass idiot, or these guys deliberately denied this player a fair chance to make the team in a failed halfassed attempt to sandbag the league and sneak him down on waivers. which, if true, in turn begs the question why? for which player to be on the roster did we do that?

those are the only choices if gadjovic plays well. neither of them reflects well on the team. you will need to look at the worst player who makes the roster and decide whether not waiving that guy was worth losing gadjovic.

we will see what happens.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Of course multiple teams had waiver claims on him. He's a young, tough, goal-scoring, AHL PPG player on a major upswing and with an untested upside at the NHL level. Only a completely idiotic or talent-flush organization would waive him without first seeing what they have. Remind me again which of those terms best describes the Canucks.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Just surprised it wasn't Calgary. ...

Calgary might have claimed him too-see below about multiple claims. San Jose had higher priority.

I really want to believe that these guys know what they're doing (or at least aren't stupid) but I also can't for the life of me figure out why they risk losing a young guy who still has a lot of upside and showed significant improvement both last year and over the summer for a bunch of older veterans who can be picked up basically at league minimum for free.

Is it really this bad?

The really strange thing is, it is almost as if the Canucks TRIED to get Gadjovich claimed on waivers.

Here's a guy who hadn't produced much offence. In a small sample size last season he produced in the AHL. In a tiny sample size this preseason he produced in the NHL.

The main problem with him was his skating. He lost weight and came to camp faster.

Two points in something like 15 minutes of play and the team then refuses to play him.

Look, NHL management types run the gamut from smart to really dumb, but here it was like Benning was advertising that he was trying to sneak Gadjovich through on waivers. Here's a young guy doing what the team wants, showing toughness, producing offence, improving his skating speed to the extent that it looks like he could once again become a real prospect and instead of looking to see what they have, the Canucks acquired a bunch of marginal veterans to fill the spot on the roster he was trying for and acted completely like they were trying to hide him to avoid him being claimed.

So was Doug Wilson stupid in going for the fake and taking Gadj off the Canucks' hands, or were the Canucks stupid by advertising they wanted to get him through without them or anyone else really knowing what he could do?

I don't know whether Gadjovich will amount to anything in the NHL. This could be another Corrado thing where Corrado was waived and never was good enough to make a difference.

But ... I don't think they were wisely trying to get someone to take him off their hands. I think they were being so stupid as to telegraph that they were trying to sneak someone through without giving him a look.

If you want to sneak someone through, you don't pick someone young that had a quantum leap in improvement the season before and who by all reports came to camp better prepared this season.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
No one is saying Gadjovich is an impact player, but he deserved a bigger look after the camp he had, is one of the few tough players they had, still has room to improve as he worked his ass off on his skating. So we had to keep Nic Petan more??

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
bummed we lost this guy, if nothing else b/c of his profile pic

upload_2021-10-7_16-9-4.png

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
i mean, you are over reacting.

same thing happened with goldobin, hutton, corrado ect

i trust the canucks player evaluation over a guy named "arttk" on hf boards.

Just curious, what have you seen over the last 8 years to trust Jim Benning's player evaluation????

Reactions: mossey3535

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Wait, wtf? They waived Jonah? Why? He's a perfect fit in the bottom 6. Are they seriously sacrificing 5 years of development on a young, big bodied player who was on an upward trajectory for Alex ****ing Chiasson?

This is why people have a problem with this FO and coaching staff. Why play a PTO more than a guy they've been developing for so long on the farm who was looking ready to at least be a 13th fwd for us?

Just makes no sense.

Another big blunder on a long list of them.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I think they are "all in" to make the playoffs and did not want to take the time/effort/risk to develop Gadjovich in the NHL. Even though he may have made it on merit, Benning's job is on the line and he cannot risk any "rookie mistakes" or growing pains.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No one is saying Gadjovich is an impact player, but he deserved a bigger look after the camp he had, is one of the few tough players they had, still has room to improve as he worked his ass off on his skating. So we had to keep Nic Petan more??
On a healthy roster, Gadjovich isn’t in the top 12. He’s a 13/14 F. Ideally he’s back down in the A honing his game.

good luck to him in SJ.

for his sake, I hope he doesn’t get the Corrado treatment. I see around 10 legit nhlers on SJ per cap friendly.
Meier, Hertl, Couture, Bonino, Labanc, Gambrell, Cogliano, Nieto, Balcers, and Kane (he has issues going on).

couple of guys who saw nhl ice time though like 20-25 games or under in Barbanov and Lane.

with Kane that is 12 forwards. Plus J Dahlen is listed.

does the nhl still allow teams to send guys to the A for Conditioning if they have not been placed in IR? Cause that was a stupid loophole in allowing the Leafs to get Corrado ice time despite not playing for their nhl club and thus avoiding waivers.

conditioning stint imo should only be allowed for guys who were injured and need to shake off the rust not for guys who have been healthy stretches for 10 plus games in a row to shake off the rust.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think they are "all in" to make the playoffs and did not want to take the time/effort/risk to develop Gadjovich in the NHL. Even though he may have made it on merit, Benning's job is on the line and he cannot risk any "rookie mistakes" or growing pains.

Isn't Podkolzin and Lockwood still in contention to make "rookie mistakes" and suffer "growing pains?"

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
A shame that we lost him. He clearly deserved more of a look at the tail-end of last season and in the preseason. And he fits a need that a lot of teams (Canucks included) would like to add.

Here's a guy who started off his pro career slowly, put in the work, got better every season, and was addressing his weaknesses. A guy who actually developed in Utica. And then once he starts to show something the club just tosses him.

I mean, he's probably not going to be a high-end player, so it's not a huge loss. But they effectively waived him to keep Dowling on the roster for 5-10 games.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
This is so annoying.

Green doesn't have any semblance of meritocracy within him. How in the hell does Gadjovich get 2 pts in 2 games with less than 15 minutes played and looking noticeably faster and more efficient get waived with dust like Chiasson still around. Just play the vets to oblivion and pray you're better eh? What a dumb f*** lol.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
I'm in complete shock. What in the **** are these dipshits doing. There's no defending this.

swank

Nov 4, 2019
Bullshit. Powerforward/bruiser types that can actually play are becoming rarer and rarer in today's NHL and just as we were starting to develop one of our own we give him up for the likes of Dowling, Chiasson, Giuseppe, MacEwen, etc. Gadjovich is only 22 and improving every year, (This summer it was his skating), and comparing it to last season is like night and day. People that say "Oh he would've never made our roster anyway" or "We have multiple guys that can fit that role" are just trying to cope. Everyone here wants a Ferland, Maroon, etc, but no one has the patience to develop one.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
A shame that we lost him. He clearly deserved more of a look at the tail-end of last season and in the preseason. And he fits a need that a lot of teams (Canucks included) would like to add.

Here's a guy who started off his pro career slowly, put in the work, got better every season, and was addressing his weaknesses. A guy who actually developed in Utica. And then once he starts to show something the club just tosses him.

I mean, he's probably not going to be a high-end player, so it's not a huge loss. But they effectively waived him to keep Dowling on the roster for 5-10 games.
this
What a waste.
Fxxx you Travis for not giving him a fair chance

Reactions: tantalum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad