Jon Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
cooper stinks vegas lit them up last night
Yeah this is really concerning... just compare the one game Vegas has played against Washington so far to our seven games against them:

MatchupSOGSOG diff.GFESGPPG
Vegas34-28+6651
TB (G1)21-32-11211
TB (G2)35-37-2202
TB (G3)23-38-15422
TB (G4)20-38-18431
TB (G5)22-30-8330
TB (G6)24-34-10000
TB (G7)29-23+6000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
In this one game Vegas has done what we have managed just once: Outshoot the Capitals. All other six games Vasy got shelled and the team got pinned in their own zone all game.
Vegas had 5 ESG. The closest we came was 3 ESG.

So a bunch of misfits and nerds (I exaggerate) have done done what the league's greatest offense hasn't done all series. Oops.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yea I just dont think our team worked hard enough in those final 2 games. We were playing hard but we werent going to the difficult areas. We werent keeping our feet moving in the ozone. Bad passes by our top players too. Just not on the same page. I blame Coop for this and obviously the players. It is just weird because we looked like a different team vs the Caps than against Boston and NJ. It made no sense.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yea I just dont think our team worked hard enough in those final 2 games. We were playing hard but we werent going to the difficult areas. We werent keeping our feet moving in the ozone. Bad passes by our top players too. Just not on the same page. I blame Coop for this and obviously the players. It is just weird because we looked like a different team vs the Caps than against Boston and NJ. It made no sense.
I'm for firing cooper his system sinks give another coach a crack with this line up we have

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'm for firing cooper his system sinks give another coach a crack with this line up we have

Ill give Coop another year because there really is nobody available who is better. I dont like AV personally. I wouldnt mind possibly bringing up our Syracuse coach late in the year like Pittsburgh did with Sullivan and we did with Coop. Sometimes these things jump start a team. Especially if we bring up a couple of those young players. If we have another February like we did, maybe we move on? Im just not quite there yet because of what else is out there.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Ill give Coop another year because there really is nobody available who is better. I dont like AV personally. I wouldnt mind possibly bringing up our Syracuse coach late in the year like Pittsburgh did with Sullivan and we did with Coop. Sometimes these things jump start a team. Especially if we bring up a couple of those young players. If we have another February like we did, maybe we move on? Im just not quite there yet because of what else is out there.
team is going to come out flat with cooper next year and we will be playing catch up in February like 2017 season. I agree I don't like the coaches a lot out there but really who was mike sullivan before the penguins made that change? pretty much a nobody. I just think after like 5 years a team needs a change with a coach it's not normal to keep a coach 6-8 years unless your scotty bowman which cooper is not.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
team is going to come out flat with cooper next year and we will be playing catch up in February like 2017 season. I agree I don't like the coaches a lot out there but really who was mike sullivan before the penguins made that change? pretty much a nobody. I just think after like 5 years a team needs a change with a coach it's not normal to keep a coach 6-8 years unless your scotty bowman which cooper is not.

Yea I wouldnt be surprised if we started out slow this year. We need to find a way to even out the seasons efforts. We put it all towards the beginning and that was nice and all but what about the next half? I know we got 82 games plus playoffs but we need to be way more consistent than we are. We were playing consistently well in the first half and then for the first 10 games of the playoffs but after that no life. A more consistent Lightning team means bad things for the rest of the league. Hopefully we get to that point.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

When the best possible coach for this team was available we didn't get him so... If Cooper had that LV roster, they wouldn't make the playoffs and the apologists would be excusing him because of a "weak roster."

Gallant making the playoffs alone this year let alone atop the West, just shows how much better a coach he is. He didn't have a Kucherov, Hedman, Stralman, Drouin like Cooper had last year and still couldn't make the playoffs.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
When the best possible coach for this team was available we didn't get him so... If Cooper had that LV roster, they wouldn't make the playoffs and the apologists would be excusing him because of a "weak roster."

Gallant making the playoffs alone this year let alone atop the West, just shows how much better a coach he is. He didn't have a Kucherov, Hedman, Stralman, Drouin like Cooper had last year and still couldn't make the playoffs.
that was a big mistake florida firing gallant! didnt yzerman and gallant play togther?

T REX

Feb 28, 2013

It just wasn't our time.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

I second that it just wasn’t our time

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
What the **** does that even mean? He is just admitting that he can’t get his team amped up enough to play. It’s whoever is playing better hockey’s time.

"You've been at this longer then we have, here - just take the win."

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It just wasn't our time.

It sure looked like it was our time the way we played Boston. It looked like Boston was our Stanley Cup when everyone was saying Caps had their Stanley Cup beating the Pens. I kind of know what Cooper means when he says that it wasnt our time. I just dont like it coming from the HC. He needs to take more of the responsibility. Even if it wasnt his fault. HC always is the leader when things go wrong. This should piss off our guys to no end and then you hear about some guys not hurt when they certainly are playing like it. I wouldnt be surprised if our guys tune out coop this year. We have been too close 3 times. Eventually players need a kick in their ass and I dont think Coop does.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
It sure looked like it was our time the way we played Boston. It looked like Boston was our Stanley Cup when everyone was saying Caps had their Stanley Cup beating the Pens. I kind of know what Cooper means when he says that it wasnt our time. I just dont like it coming from the HC. He needs to take more of the responsibility. Even if it wasnt his fault. HC always is the leader when things go wrong. This should piss off our guys to no end and then you hear about some guys not hurt when they certainly are playing like it. I wouldnt be surprised if our guys tune out coop this year. We have been too close 3 times. Eventually players need a kick in their ass and I dont think Coop does.
I just thought it was wrong for a head coach to say that period

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Cooper is the 2nd longest tenured coach in the NHL behind Quennville.

Next year is Cooper's last year as our head coach unless he wins a Cup. Dude is so gone.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Cooper is the 2nd longest tenured coach in the NHL behind Quennville.

Next year is Cooper's last year as our head coach unless he wins a Cup. Dude is so gone.
Why do you think he will be fired I don’t see yzerman firing him he loves cooper too much unless we totally stink and don’t make the playoffs

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Why do you think he will be fired I don’t see yzerman firing him he loves cooper too much unless we totally stink and don’t make the playoffs

Six years with this roster in its prime...get a cup or get gone. His seat is warm now. If you listened to local radio at all last week...I was surprised at multiple callers calling him Dungy 2.0. I was the first person to post that anywhere. It stuck I guess but people are not happy with Cooper.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm not a big fan of Jon Cooper, to be honest.
But I don't think that Mr. Yzerman will fire him after a ECF Game 7 loss...

Pretty much, yeah. NHL coaches never get to the Cup-or-Bust point. It's not the same as the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad