Jon Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
lol why is this thread not locked?

He's getting lambasted on local radio. You think Cooper is free from blame? Another FAILURE of a season. Not even a SCF. ANother blown 3-2 lead in the con finals. He's a decent coach. Nothing more. Not elite.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I think we first need to nail down what the direction of the team is. Is it staying a speed team, or becoming a more physical one? We picked bigger guys in the last draft and added some physicality at the deadline this year. Being world class in both is a very hard combination to beat.

It's also a good thing for a southern market to have if they're playing into May and June. Mr. Vinik has invested heavily into the Amalie ice, but Tampa is Tampa and humidity will be an issue, making for poorer ice conditions, and more conducive for having to rely on dump and chase, etc.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
He's getting lambasted on local radio. You think Cooper is free from blame? Another FAILURE of a season. Not even a SCF. ANother blown 3-2 lead in the con finals. He's a decent coach. Nothing more. Not elite.
and yzerman still is not going to fire him yzerman does not care what other say

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida

Not a fan of this quote at all.

Well that just rustles my jimmies.

I mean like, that shit REALLY rubs me the wrong way. I remember listening to part of his presser after the game and not liking his attitude and tone of voice. He sounded like we were supposed to win just because.
I know I joke about bringing torts back but I really think that what this team needs is some tough love.

I would be shocked if Cooper has ever shown this type of emotion in a locker room.

I don't remember who said it but I think they were right when they said Cooper is more concerned about getting invited to the players weddings then telling them what they need to hear. Or something along those lines.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
That’s my favorite torts video. Torts would never be able to work with yzerman or vinik ! Literally torts would be upstairs in there office every day getting warnings from them

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Torts's shelf life is so short these days that I'm not sure if he'll ever have a successful run again. I was pulling for him last year, but it seems like nobody's willing to put up with him for too long anymore.

People seem to think intensity is all about yelling and screaming and throwing **** at doors and overturning tables. It's not. A lot of the most intense players/coaches ever were pretty quiet.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Torts's shelf life is so short these days that I'm not sure if he'll ever have a successful run again. I was pulling for him last year, but it seems like nobody's willing to put up with him for too long anymore.
Yep his life has already expired with the blue jackets in my opinion. A team can only put up with torts for three years until they need to get rid of him or change over a ton of new players.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If the Blackhawks miss the playoffs again this season then Quenneville gets fired and that’s the guy we should be all over in getting we have the players for his system

Reactions: The Gongshow

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If the Blackhawks miss the playoffs again this season then Quenneville gets fired and that’s the guy we should be all over in getting we have the players for his system

It actually wouldn't be shocking to see us swap coaches if the Blackhawks miss and we get bounced early.

Reactions: Todd1a

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

People seem to think intensity is all about yelling and screaming and throwing **** at doors and overturning tables. It's not. A lot of the most intense players/coaches ever were pretty quiet.
The meme is that the players will take on their coach's personality. Coop seems like a nice guy, and after all this time, I have a hard time imagining him acting like a dick. However coaches need to be dickish sometimes.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think Coop gets one more year with his team and if we dont do it next year we make some big changes.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
There is a belief that you can't yell at players now. Not individually maybe, but as a group like Torts did in the above video? Probably fine. The guys who need it will take something from it, and the guys who don't need it will know that the coach sees it.

I don't think you can demean a player, especially in front of others, without risking they shut down.

The infamous Gabby 'f-bomb' motivational speech from 24/7 also hits these points.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Fingers crossed that we can give Sheldon Keefe an assistant job to replace Bowness. Hes arguably the best coaching prospect out there and can replace Cooper from within. I'm not enamored with Ben Groulx

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Fingers crossed that we can give Sheldon Keefe an assistant job to replace Bowness. Hes arguably the best coaching prospect out there and can replace Cooper from within. I'm not enamored with Ben Groulx

I feel like that might be more realistic. Not that Sheldon Keefe would take an assistant's job (it feels like he's been in line for an HC job forever), but that we might start actively grooming Coop's replacement, if we're not already, sort of like we did with Coop/Boucher.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I feel like that might be more realistic. Not that Sheldon Keefe would take an assistant's job (it feels like he's been in line for an HC job forever), but that we might start actively grooming Coop's replacement, if we're not already, sort of like we did with Coop/Boucher.

It's hard not to feel that way. This was a successful season but to me it feels in the same sense that you scored just low enough on your test to miss an "A" by a point. I share your sentiment that Cooper's job is not in danger for now, but all the same I'm keeping a keen eye on who we hire (if anyone) on the coaching staff. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the guy we want is under our nose the whole time in Todd Richards. In any case I think Yzerman will be prepared for the worst and will hope for the best. Historically he has always been prepared.

I have to imagine he would pull the trigger and fire Cooper for missing the playoffs all together or if we started with a bad record. I don't mean that as in fans are supremely ticked because we're dropping games we shouldn't and have a record we can play trough because it's a few games under .500 and is not so low that it cannot be mended by a hot streak. I mean something like what happened AV and the NYR and we are a hot mess right out the gate. While I think Yzerman would wait things out and be patient, I can't imagine he'd wait long enough for things to get crazy like 7-19-2. That is a tailpin that only gets that bad if Cooper loses the room.

As for candidates to replace him we could always try Groulx but if Wolf says he meddles too much and makes too many crazy choices then I'm apprehensive. If this is a guy who will put Killorn and Callahan on a line with Point then I want no part of him. I'll stick with Cooper and bite my tongue while a better replacement is found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad