Jon Cooper says Kadri goal shouldn’t have counted, but wouldn’t say why

AvalancheRy

Feb 13, 2009
He’s not wrong.

Colorado’s guy is close to being in the play. Tampa’s guys are so far away from the play it’s not funny.

Cooper is onto something here, no matter what Avs fans will say.
He's completely wrong. There are actually 7 Lightning dudes on the ice at the time too - two in the same position as Mack. Those kind of line changes happen literally every single game and it had ZERO impact on the game here.

Now do the high stick on Kuemper on the first goal.

I like Cooper but he had a loser mindset tonight.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Crying Gif - PointsNerd

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
While the too many men did allow for a quicker transition, I would have a much bigger problem with it if it was one that caused confusion for the Tampa defenders. That wasn't the case in this type of too many men. So while it's not a great look, occasionally in such a fast paced game this is going to happen.

Reactions: HofT

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Maybe this?

8RpUuYV.png
So Kadri is coming on for (can't make out the number) the guy at top right, that's pretty damn early because Kadri is already more than half way across the ice, and Kadri takes a pass., and the subbing player is still not off the ice. Cooper might have a legit beef here. Need to confirm though that that was the sequence.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
6ixgate. As in, "Avs beat Tampa when the 6ix (Toronto) couldn't??"

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
So Kadri is coming on for (can't make out the number) the guy at top right, that's pretty damn early because Kadri is already more than half way across the ice, and Kadri takes a pass. Cooper might have a legit beef here. Need to confirm though that that was the sequence.
Yes, thats why I'm guessing Cooper is upset.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

Matters f*** all because players are still allowed some leeway for line changes. It's when they interfere with the play when it becomes an issue.

And no, before someone says just have the 6th skater go around the rink away from the puck, therefore not interfering with the play, that's not how it works either.

Reactions: Drakon

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean, let's look at this reasonably. Was Kadri the guy coming on the ice for the guy who was changing? If he was, Cooper is totally right.

The broadcast didn't make it clear if that was the case, but if Kadri was the guy who just jumped on and the Avs player wasn't on the bench, Cooper is correct that was a too many men on the ice penalty.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The big thing I've learned from this thread is that hockey fans do not understand how "too many men" penalties work :laugh:

Generally speaking, the penalty is only called when an extra skater plays the puck (meaning a guy who just got on plays the puck) or if there is an extended stretch for over 5 men on the ice. A change where a team has 7 players on the ice, but the 2 players who got on didn't have an impact on the play, isn't a "too many men" penalty.

That's why this really depends on when Kadri got on the ice. if he was replacing the guy who was not off the ice yet, it is 100% a too many men penalty and shouldn't have counted. Period, that's an objective truth with it.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Refs always give D men leeway since they aren't effecting the play.

Its a bigger deal when a forward jumps on early and scores in OT.
Or you could just play better defence and not allow him to come right up the middle ? Tampa has 7 guys on the ice and lightning fans are complaining about too many men lol

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I mean, let's look at this reasonably. Was Kadri the guy coming on the ice for the guy who was changing? If he was, Cooper is totally right.

The broadcast didn't make it clear if that was the case, but if Kadri was the guy who just jumped on and the Avs player wasn't on the bench, Cooper is correct that was a too many men on the ice penalty.

Looks like there is a good chance that Kardi replaced the man that was going off on that change.

Reactions: TheNumber4

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Spare me that BS

Kadri went 3 on 1 and got that type of scoring chance

play some frigan defense
Kadri isnt even that good of skater and he beat 3 tampa players to the net because they got puck watching a stretch pass
The point is that Kadri is only able to transition that fast (against a defense that was just hemmed in their zone) because he jumped on extremely extremely early.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant

Just watched the replay again. The camera doesn't pan over in time to see changes. Need an over head shot of that sequence. Anybody got one?

Reactions: Phil Raitt

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
How far had Kadri gone before the player subbing out was near the bench? Cooper might have a case, but too f***in bad. You had two guys get burned in 1 go, and then your goalie disappears.

Colorado dominated the overtime, and it was evident five minutes into the third period that the officials were only there for show. The refs might as well have dropped the puck and left the arena, and everybody knew it well in advance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad