JOKERIT 2020-2021 (GOING ALL IN?)

Whiskey In the Jar

Jan 28, 2013
That's a tough spot Jokerit and many others teams are in currently. But it's the same with all sports leagues it's just a mess right now. I dont think teams very lightly move to play home games in Russia it may be out of question. Playing in finnish league is probably not even remotely an option. If jokerit and few other khl teams skip this season that would be disaster too, i think it could mean end of jokerit in khl and probably end of the team as it currently stands. It's not financially feasable to move to play finnish league right now, would probably take several years at minimum to sort all things out. And did not just two or three years ago neighboring team Espoo Blues go bankrupt in Finnish league :eek: ...and was not moving khl partly due to financial reasons at the first place?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
That's a tough spot Jokerit and many others teams are in currently. But it's the same with all sports leagues it's just a mess right now. I dont think teams very lightly move to play home games in Russia it may be out of question. Playing in finnish league is probably not even remotely an option. If jokerit and few other khl teams skip this season that would be disaster too, i think it could mean end of jokerit in khl and probably end of the team as it currently stands. It's not financially feasable to move to play finnish league right now, would probably take several years at minimum to sort all things out. And did not just two or three years ago neighboring team Espoo Blues go bankrupt in Finnish league :eek: ...and was not moving khl partly due to financial reasons at the first place?
Just curious what is a source of that bold information. I mean the reliable source, the official one, not journalists gossips & malevolent wishes.

Guessing you mean all non-Russian teams ...

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

The Blues never had a fan base, whereas the Jokerit brand is one of the strongest in all of Finnish sports. I seriously doubt that it will disappear even when the KHL adventure comes to its end, be it now or in ten years. For Liiga it's too valuable to miss as well.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'm not sure Lehtonen will play get to play that much if any with Jokerit. Way too much stuff up in the air. Would probably get to play more in Liiga, SHL or NLA.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah, Toronto Maple Leafs GM, Jokerit GM, the NHL & the KHL management, all players etc are fools knowing nothing about the game of hockey in 2020.

Like really? o_O

Because some dude on the internet knows more about the game of hockey!! :bow::lol::banghead:

:tmi:

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Yeah, Toronto Maple Leafs GM, Jokerit GM, the NHL & the KHL management, all players etc are fools knowing nothing about the game of hockey in 2020.

Like really? o_O

Because some dude on the internet knows more about the game of hockey!! :bow::lol::banghead:

:tmi:

Said by another dude on the internet. All Teeth No Brains.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I'm not sure Lehtonen will play get to play that much if any with Jokerit. Way too much stuff up in the air. Would probably get to play more in Liiga, SHL or NLA.

I'd imagine the Leafs don't even want him to play big minutes in another league, just to have a safe training environment until the next NHL season.

Reactions: Exarz

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Yeah, because knowing the Coronavirus situation in Russia has SOOOOO much to do with knowing the game of hockey... :facepalm:

When even Jokerit want the season start to be delayed, you know they have a problem in Russia.

The RPL season was finished with some cases, but most teams did ok. All Moscow ones and Zenit, for example. And they are from most dangerous regions.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The RPL season was finished with some cases, but most teams did ok. All Moscow ones and Zenit, for example. And they are from most dangerous regions.

3 KHL teams have about 40 cases according to Morozov. There's no way Russian teams will be allowed to travel to Finland anytime soon. At least without a two week quarantine.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
3 KHL teams have about 40 cases according to Morozov. There's no way Russian teams will be allowed to travel to Finland anytime soon. At least without a two week quarantine.

The season is going to start in a month. The situation can be improved. And if Jokerit plays 1st month on the road, it's another month.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The way things are trending now the travel restrictions won't be lifted before January, and that's optimistic.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
The first season game will be played September 3 in Minsk. First home game September 9 against Neftekhimik. Nothing stated where the home game will be located, as I still see it quite doubtful that Russian teams will be able to enter Finland in such short notice...

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Clueless Kurri... :facepalm:

Hallitus tiukensi koronarajoituksia – Jari Kurri uskoo, että Jokerit pelaa kotiottelunsa Helsingissä: ”Me elämme vieläkin siinä toivossa” - KHL - Ilta-Sanomat

Kurri kertoo, ettei Jokereilla ole olemassa varasuunnitelmaa, jos kotipelejä ei pystytä pelaamaan Helsingissä.

No back-up plan if they can't play home games in Helsinki. Also hoping for some miracle despite governement tightening travel restrictions for people coming in to the country from non-safe countries. Mandatory testing and two week quarantine with potential fines or even 3 month jail sentence for violating it.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Clueless Kurri... :facepalm:

Hallitus tiukensi koronarajoituksia – Jari Kurri uskoo, että Jokerit pelaa kotiottelunsa Helsingissä: ”Me elämme vieläkin siinä toivossa” - KHL - Ilta-Sanomat

No back-up plan if they can't play home games in Helsinki. Also hoping for some miracle despite governement tightening travel restrictions for people coming in to the country from non-safe countries. Mandatory testing and two week quarantine with potential fines or even 3 month jail sentence for violating it.
The only light in this tunnel is the statement the statement that athletes might not be under the same restrictions as their risk of infection is considered lower. But I don't really see this matter when half the season contains travelling back and forth a high-risk country.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
The only light in this tunnel is the statement the statement that athletes might not be under the same restrictions as their risk of infection is considered lower. But I don't really see this matter when half the season contains travelling back and forth a high-risk country.

Im curious as to why Athletes risks might be considered lower?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Jaska

Oct 1, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
The negative press in Finland will be massive, if Kurri doesn't pull Jokerit out of the game in Minsk. Unbelievable he is bending over for the KHL. When did his backbone snap?

Reactions: Jussi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The negative press in Finland will be massive, if Kurri doesn't pull Jokerit out of the game in Minsk. Unbelievable he is bending over for the KHL. When did his backbone snap?

I mean the reaction among fans is already almost unanimously negative towards playing there. At Jatkoaika, a KHL fan boy started a thread on the subject and he's very much against playing there and the comments by Jokerit coach and players (especially Mikko Lehtonen's) have been received very negatively by almost every Jokerit fans posting on the thread. Even main stream media is questioning the awareness of the organization.

Jaska

Oct 1, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
One of Jokerit's fan organizations is opposing playing in Minsk:

Tiedotteet | etelapaaty

"Fanclub of Jokerit HC, Eteläpääty Association opposes the upcoming game between Jokerit HC and Dinamo Minsk on 3.9.2020.

In such a situation, Dinamo Minsk should at least be able to postpone the match to another time. The transfer of matches is not exceptional in the KHL, nor in other series. In our opinion, the current situation in the country provides all the conditions to demand the postponement of the match.

Eteläpääty will support the team's decision if the team decides not to go to Minsk and gives a direct surrender win to the opponent.

The fan group of Dinamo Minsk has also announced that they will boycott the team's matches. Dinamo fans are demanding that the club condemn the violence, demand the release of illegally detained civilians, publicly declare the past elections illegitimate, and call for new elections with an honest and transparent vote count. Eteläpääty wants to show its support to its competitors' fans with their demands."

Reactions: Jussi and Exarz

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
The fan group of Dinamo Minsk has also announced that they will boycott the team's matches. Dinamo fans are demanding that the club condemn the violence, demand the release of illegally detained civilians, publicly declare the past elections illegitimate, and call for new elections with an honest and transparent vote count. Eteläpääty wants to show its support to its competitors' fans with their demands."

That's a bit surprising, considering that Dinamo Minsk is directly under Lukashenko's payroll and wouldn't exist without him. I thought the fans would be more loyal towards him, but I guess everything has its limits taking into account how the political spectrum has developed in Belarus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad