JOKERIT 2020-2021 (GOING ALL IN?)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Don't tell that to the KHL mouthpiece. The idea of financially independent European teams in growing and improving domestic leagues goes against the perfect world where a Russian-dominated international league goes from Atlantic to Pacific Oceans.
That is your opinion on future development in European club hockey. But I do not share your opinion.

I am 1000% for strong & independent European clubs if their budgets are at least on the level of top KHL teams, the best scenario would be if their budgets double or triple the KHL!!! Again, I am 1000% for that!!

The sad part of the story is that I do not see any such clubs now. And, unfortunately, I do not see any process going this direction for future. And that is sad.

Last edited:

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
That is your opinion on future development in European club hockey. But I do not share your opinion.

I am 1000% for strong & independent European clubs if their budgets are at least on the level of top KHL teams, the best scenario would be if their budgets double or triple the KHL!!! Again, I am 1000% for that!!

The sad part of the story is that I do not see any such clubs now. And, unfortunately, I do not see any process going this direction for future. And that is sad.

And it is horrible you say their budgets should be similar. The reason the KHL is better is because of the higher budget. The reason the KHL has financial problems is because of the higher budget. Spending and living within means while being sustainable is better than living like Slovan, Praha, Poprad, Zagreb for a few seasons. Whenever these Russian operated companies no longer want to keep losing money, the KHL is finished. KHL would be much more stable, not losing countless teams, if they spent within their means. Not like SKA with to buy any player Gasprom allows.

Reactions: Jussi and mkev400

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And it is horrible you say their budgets should be similar. The reason the KHL is better is because of the higher budget. The reason the KHL has financial problems is because of the higher budget. Spending and living within means while being sustainable is better than living like Slovan, Praha, Poprad, Zagreb for a few seasons. Whenever these Russian operated companies no longer want to keep losing money, the KHL is finished. KHL would be much more stable, not losing countless teams, if they spent within their means. Not like SKA with to buy any player Gasprom allows.

European clubs are surviving and existing because they live within their means. Bottomline matters to an overwhelming majority of them. They're not going to suddenly start spending beyond their means because some person on the internet wants them to. It would drive them to bankruptcy very quickly because they don't have an oligarch/regional governor/major energy company supporting them. Liiga clubs adjust their budgets if they have bad financial year. For example Ässät had a bad year the previous year, adjusted and despite a shortened season that cut profits by 100K, ended up with a 134K € profit. It is completely unrealistic to wish for hockey clubs to double or triple their budgets (especially now) on a continent where football is THE sport.

member 305909

If any other Finnish team had in mind to follow the example of Jokerit and join the KHL they surely don't think so any more.

Reactions: Jussi

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If they don't allow any hockey in Finland then sure, but if Liiga is played with attendance then they can't afford to stay in Russia for long.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I've read in Russian press, that Jokerit can play some games in S.-Petersburg, if they don't allow hockey in Finland or don't let KHL teams come to the country.

Liiga season begins October first and that's when indoor public event limits end. 500 until then.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If they don't allow any hockey in Finland then sure, but if Liiga is played with attendance then they can't afford to stay in Russia for long.

There would be major issues with their insurance company if they don't follow government guidelines. They're the ones who put a stop to their season.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The government isn't going to ban them from playing in Russia no matter what, the only relevant question regarding the authorities is whether travel without lengthy quarantine will be possible over the border. If attendance is not allowed in Finland then it hits Liiga teams the same way, and in that scenario going to Russia isn't as much of a problem. But if Liiga resumes normally and Jokerit go to Russia then that's a major PR disaster.

Reactions: Exarz

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The government isn't going to ban them from playing in Russia no matter what, the only relevant question regarding the authorities is whether travel without lengthy quarantine will be possible over the border. If attendance is not allowed in Finland then it hits Liiga teams the same way, and in that scenario going to Russia isn't as much of a problem. But if Liiga resumes normally and Jokerit go to Russia then that's a major PR disaster.

As far as I understand, the problem is pandemia is almost nonexistent in Finland right now, while there are still quite a few (almost 6k yesterday) COVID cases in Russia. Of course, the situation can change closer to October, so Jokerit will play in Finland.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Travel restrictions are a complicated matter, hypothetically the situation could improve in Russia but worsen in another bordering country. In that case travel restrictions concerning Russia would likely remain in place in part or full because of diplomatic considerations.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Travel restrictions are a complicated matter, hypothetically the situation could improve in Russia but worsen in another bordering country. In that case travel restrictions concerning Russia would likely remain in place in part or full because of diplomatic considerations.

I would imagine the next phase would be travel allowed but 14 day quarantine would be mandatory.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
European clubs are surviving and existing because they live within their means. Bottomline matters to an overwhelming majority of them. They're not going to suddenly start spending beyond their means because some person on the internet wants them to. It would drive them to bankruptcy very quickly because they don't have an oligarch/regional governor/major energy company supporting them. Liiga clubs adjust their budgets if they have bad financial year. For example Ässät had a bad year the previous year, adjusted and despite a shortened season that cut profits by 100K, ended up with a 134K € profit. It is completely unrealistic to wish for hockey clubs to double or triple their budgets (especially now) on a continent where football is THE sport.

By "football" you mean soccer, right?

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Parachuting then into Liiga along with Jokerit wouldn’t be the worst thing. The travel from Helsinki to Riga can’t be worse than to Olou.

I wouldn't mind to see that if the KHL became a no go for us. I think the level of Riga without actually spending money is not so high currently, look at our results and the quality of players that are brought it. It's almost pointless :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad