Jokerit 2018-2019 - I Am, We Are!

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It is a bit funny that @OskarOskarius talking about the CHL as a hockey version of the Euroleague.

If you want to give a hockey example of the Euroleague then it is the KHL. The Euroleague is based on a long-term licence rule, including some minimal standards as a capacity. The KHL is exactly the same, there are clubs with long-term licence (Jokerit as an example) and clubs with a one-season licence. The same can be seen in the Euroleague. The KHL has also minimum requirements for a capacity of an arena as the Euroleague has. There are other standards in other fields as well. The Euroleague collects the best teams from various countries, the KHL has been doing the same.

The CHL was created as the same principle as the Euroleague - with a long-term licence rule. But, the CHL abandoned this rule and go on with the UEFA rules. I do not believe the CHL will come back to a long-term licence rule, there is not a will to do so. It needs to be noted that the CHL does not have the best teams from certain countries and the best European league. Of course, there is zero chance the KHL to join under the current rules.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
In any case I think you'll agree, the Euroleague is better, the NBA has better players, no doubt, but it's a circus

I don't watch Euroleague but I do watch Bulls matches because of Lauri Markkanen and more often than not I feel sorry for him having to watch Lavine and co. just turn an team sport into an individual sport. But there's no question that the best teams who actually play team basketball in the NBA could easily beat Euroleague teams. Because they're so tremendous athletes these days and the best players such good shooters, when the team game is stronger on an European team, somebody like Steph Curry would just start hitting 3-pointers from two meters beyond the arc and easily do it 10 times in a game. I'm old enough to remember the sports media talking about Drazen Petrovic's 112 point and 60 points games but these guys can easily amass 50 by hitting just threes.

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
It is a bit funny that @OskarOskarius talking about the CHL as a hockey version of the Euroleague.

If you want to give a hockey example of the Euroleague then it is the KHL. The Euroleague is based on a long-term licence rule, including some minimal standards as a capacity. The KHL is exactly the same, there are clubs with long-term licence (Jokerit as an example) and clubs with a one-season licence. The same can be seen in the Euroleague. The KHL has also minimum requirements for a capacity of an arena as the Euroleague has. There are other standards in other fields as well. The Euroleague collects the best teams from various countries, the KHL has been doing the same.

The CHL was created as the same principle as the Euroleague - with a long-term licence rule. But, the CHL abandoned this rule and go on with the UEFA rules. I do not believe the CHL will come back to a long-term licence rule, there is not a will to do so. It needs to be noted that the CHL does not have the best teams from certain countries and the best European league. Of course, there is zero chance the KHL to join under the current rules.
Eh read up on the history of the EuroLeague. It has nothing in common with the KHL. The CHL is the only tournament that could possibly evolve into hockey's equivalent of the EuroLeague.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
CHL participants for each season are determined just like the UEFA competitions, meaning sporting merits. So yes, the best teams from the previous season in each league are taking part.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Eh read up on the history of the EuroLeague. It has nothing in common with the KHL. The CHL is the only tournament that could possibly evolve into hockey's equivalent of the EuroLeague.
Man, you are wrong.

As said, the key principle of the Euroleague is a long-term licence rule. We can see the same in the KHL, but it is not a case in the CHL anymore. The long-term licence rule is very important because you can maintain strict conditions (arena capacity, finance) from those clubs.

The Euroleague is a closed league now, having top-notch teams from top basketball countries or countries with good marketing potential. The KHL is closed league as well and has the potential to add clubs from top hockey countries or countries with good marketing potential. Finland is already an important part of the KHL.

Yes, there is a difference in playing format, the Euroleague is a parallel championship to clubs, the KHL is their main and only competition.

Let´s look at the CHL. As I said, the CHL was created as a copy of the Euroleague, a long-term licence rule was the key rule in the CHL early days. Now, this has changed and the CHL is based on qualification based on sporting merit. The same can be seen in the Basketball Champion League as opposed to the Euroleague (or the KHL).

Of course, the CHL can come back to a long-term licence rule, but it would be comical. They had it a few years, then abandoned it and coming back a few years later?

As you can see, the CHL is going to countries where hockey is not developed enough. Perhaps there is marketing potential in France, the UK, but you need to heavily invest money to get any results. That has not been happening with the CHL.

I have said it many times and I can repeat it again. The biggest problem of the CHL is that a league is opposed by fans and participating clubs. The clubs from top countries. Therefore it would be better to go the Euroleague´s route and pick a few teams per country on a long-term licence. But, that model is not welcomed especially in Sweden. Who knows? If Swedes are eliminated from the CHL´s decision making bodies, the "hockey Euroleague" may happen. But not now, sorry.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The biggest problem of the CHL is that a league is opposed by fans and participating clubs.

No it's not. A minority of fans maybe. The rest are either interested or not, but being lukewarm is not opposition. Unless then you mean a new format where domestic leagues are abandoned altogether, but then that wouldn't have anything to do with the CHL anymore.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
No it's not. A minority of fans maybe. The rest are either interested or not, but being lukewarm is not opposition. Unless then you mean a new format where domestic leagues are abandoned altogether, but then that wouldn't have anything to do with the CHL anymore.
Fine, I can use other words like "not interested enough" And some clubs do nothing to increase the interest, some even boycott the CHL.

Therefore it would be better to go the Euroleague's route, so pick a few clubs per country who play the CHL every season. You would have only clubs who are interested in your competition. That was a case in early years of the CHL, but they changed it in favour of "sporting merit" rule. I do not say it is wrong. I just say you can get clubs who are not interested in your competition. And, what is a topic here, the current CHL model is definitely not a Euroleague model as the poster would like to see. The CHL is similar to the Basketball Champions League or the UEFA Leagues.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

There's definite rise in interest in Finland, especially since JYP won it. It's also true that some teams are doing a bad job of marketing it. HIFK fans have been vocal for a few years already at Jatkoaika about the poor job their team's marketing has done with CHL. Several posters have been praising the games, how they've been refreshing or more entertaining than regular season games against some Liiga teams. Kärpät have always showed up for the games and since they've usually gone far in it it's no surprise. Tappara would have higher number if the fans didn't already know that Rautakorpi's teams always suck in the fall and are saving their money(even Liiga games) for the winter/after New Year. :laugh:

Also re: CHL, it was never meant to be like the Euroleague. The founding members had guaranteed entry at the beginning so they could establish a proper foundation for the league even though the money they gave is share holder money, not prize moeny. It was always meant to become a league where entry had to be earned. Kalervo Kummola, who was involved in the creation process, said this numerous times.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Harkimo involved in really shady armaments deals with Saddam's generals it seems, as if Timchenko and Rotenberg wouldn't have been enough. The ownership situation will be getting critical at some point.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Something in English?

It's complicated mess that luckily didn't produce anything, otherwise Harkimo might be in real trouble. The gist of story is that businessman Peter Fryckman and Iraqi general Saad al-Obaidi tried to make a deal with Finnish authorities where the Iraqi government would acquire security containers, paid by the Finnish government for 100 million euros, for use to return rejected asylum seekers back to Iraq. Harkimo was asked to set it with the appropriate ministries in 2017 but then interior minister Paula Risikko considered the offer too weird and refused further contact.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
That's what happens when you replace an outdoor match against SKA with two matches in a small barn in Tallinn.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That's what happens when you replace an outdoor match against SKA with two matches in a small barn in Tallinn.

Without the outdoor game Jokerit average attendance last season would have been closer to 10K than 9K. Riga wouldn't have drawn that much more at Hartwall either.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Riga wouldn't have drawn that much more at Hartwall either.

What about Riga? Jokerit had two games in Tallinn were they drew 5800 (sold out) and 3954. Those are significant drops compared to a regular game at Hartwall so they definitely had an impact on the average attendance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad