Jokerit 2018-2019 - I Am, We Are!

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
If we take into account 1) anti-Jokerit & anti-KHL campaign in the Finnish press, 2) games played at other venues as @CPFC said, Jokerit´s average attendance is just fine.

We should worry about the Liiga and its average attendance, the worst from all major European leagues (if not counting the Champions Hockey League) with only around 4150 fans per game. Even the Czech league is better. The Liiga and the SHL are two leagues who has lost the most fans on average for the last decade. They should do something about the declining fans interest.

On the other hand, the KHL has made the biggest growth from all major European leagues and the progress will go on with new venues.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
What about Riga? Jokerit had two games in Tallinn were they drew 5800 (sold out) and 3954. Those are significant drops compared to a regular game at Hartwall so they definitely had an impact on the average attendance.

Even if you exclude those game there's significant drop.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
There is no anti-Jokerit nor anti-KHL campaign in the Finnish press. It is not a campaign to talk about team ownership issues or team losses. Liiga club front office issues are constantly talked about in the Finnish sports medias (most notably the Porin Ässät clusterfrak). The Helsingin Sanomat article before the season start was more or less a combination of FACTS that hockey fans already knew but the general public didn't. If you still claim there is a campaign then you need to post examples.

Talking about Liiga attendance is pure whataboutism and completely ignores the fact that one of the reasons for the drop is good attendance teams having poor seasons. TPS never draws really well in the regular season, their fans are a bunch of gloryhunters who don't go the arena until the finals. IF the league would in problems then there wouldn't all these new arenas being built.

Last edited:
Reactions: desu and Helistin

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Even if you exclude those game there's significant drop.

Yes, but the average attendance is still above 9000, which is good. They didn't have Tolvanen this season and there were way too many Monday night games.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yes, but the average attendance is still above 9000, which is good. They didn't have Tolvanen this season and there were way too many Monday night games.

And if there weren't so many 2 for the price of 1 ticket campaigns, it would have dropped even more. The thread about free tickets and ticket campaigns at Jatkoaika, had people posting links like almost ahead of every home game stretch. If the product was actually appealing, there wouldn't be need for those.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
So looks like an almost sold out game tomorrow, however I heard that about 4000 tickets are given out. Feels like a total cluste f*ck when season ticket holders (myself included) pay 100€ or more for the playoffs. Especially if Jokerit ends up losing the series.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
So looks like an almost sold out game tomorrow, however I heard that about 4000 tickets are given out. Feels like a total cluste f*ck when season ticket holders (myself included) pay 100€ or more for the playoffs. Especially if Jokerit ends up losing the series.

Yeah, the season ticket holders are seriously pissed off in the thread about ticket sales at Jatkoaika. One guy posted that at one company's intranet there's a link where workers can each get 4(!) free tickets for the game. It was available for Monday's game already.

Edit: I'm guessing some of these people are selling them now at tori.fi.

Reactions: Exarz

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Yeah I’m really f*cking pissed right now, I really hope they give a really good compensation for this (not just the regular discounted season ticket for next season as they do every year depending on the amount of playoff games). I’m so fed up with management and the team this season I barely find a reason to renew it.

Toro2017

Sep 14, 2017
Oh ffs....

Way to treat your playoff season ticket buyers...

For those that don't speak or read finnish, Jokerit is giving tickets away (to game5 playoff game, that might be the last game for the season) for free to some partners and understandably playoff season ticket buyers are very mad about this. I wonder if some journalist chooses to write about this, would it be considered as reporting the truth or just another example of anti-KHL smear campaign?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
For those that don't speak or read finnish, Jokerit is giving tickets away (to game5 playoff game, that might be the last game for the season) for free to some partners and understandably playoff season ticket buyers are very mad about this. I wonder if some journalist chooses to write about this, would it be considered as reporting the truth or just another example of anti-KHL smear campaign?

Maybe Sasha Huttunen since he used to both post at Jatkoaika and work there as well. Probably still reads it.

Jokerit Wasp

Mar 8, 2004
Went to my first Jokerit game in 9 years, a couple of weeks back vs Dinamo Riga.

Overall impresson: Off-ice entertainment is way, way better than I ever remember it - kept our 8,6 and 3 year olds entertained throughout the whole match. On ice, can't say it was any more entertaining than the old SM-liiga days, and didn't seem like the standard was miles better. Ticket prices were way higher too, if you didn't get a freebie!

Wish Jokerit would go back to the Finnish league again.

Reactions: Helistin

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Last edited:

Toro2017

Sep 14, 2017

- There is some conflict between Harkimo and Selänne
- Also Rotenberg have been (at some point) so mad at Harkimo that he has been ready to "feed Harkimo to the wolfs"
- Selänne raised Jokerit to success in the -90's, but 2005 something happened between Selänne and Harkimo and the conflict is still on.
- Selänne does not want his jersey to be retired in Jokerit, as long as Harkimo is running the club
- Rotenberg where ready to pay Selänne 10 million euros, if he would have become to play for Jokerit, in their first KHL season
- Jokerit blocked team from Espoo (Espoo blues) to join KHL and took their place. There where already plans for Espoo and the teams name would have been Ice Bears.
- KHL is planning a KHL team in Monaco and they are planning to build same kind of arena, that HIFK is planning in Helsinki (Helsinki Garden project).

Edit. apparently they have edited that article and now i cannot find any mention of Kurri or Räikkönen, as potential owners.

Edit2. Apparently I was reading another article about it. In Iltasanomat article there is mention of Kurri and räikkönen. And those pointer I made, came from Helsingin sanomat . My mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TommySalo and Exarz

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
- There is some conflict between Harkimo and Selänne
- Also Rotenberg have been (at some point) so mad at Harkimo that he has been ready to "feed Harkimo to the wolfs"
- Selänne raised Jokerit to success in the -90's, but 2005 something happened between Selänne and Harkimo and the conflict is still on.
- Selänne does not want his jersey to be retired in Jokerit, as long as Harkimo is running the club
- Rotenberg where ready to pay Selänne 10 million euros, if he would have become to play for Jokerit, in their first KHL season
- Jokerit blocked team from Espoo (Espoo blues) to join KHL and took their place. There where already plans for Espoo and the teams name would have been Ice Bears.
- KHL is planning a KHL team in Monaco and they are planning to build same kind of arena, that HIFK is planning in Helsinki (Helsinki Garden project).

Edit. apparently they have edited that article and now i cannot find any mention of Kurri or Räikkönen, as potential owners.

Edit2. Apparently I was reading another article about it. In Iltasanomat article there is mention of Kurri and räikkönen. And those pointer I made, came from Helsingin sanomat . My mistake.

Also had quotes from Sauli Niinistö and Petteri Orpo. Niinistö said that he knows him well and has gotten the pmression that Harkimo's always willing to help his true friends, even those in real difficult troubles. Orpo meanwhile confirmed that Harimo's close ties to Russian owners on sanctions lists didn't help his political career, more or less prevented any cabinet position aspirations.

And in case anyone was wondering, the author Marko Lempinen is a well known hockey/sports journalist, has written for years for among others Ilta-Sanomat and Jääkiekkolehti. Also wrote the book on Marko Jantunen, "Läpi helvetin - Marko Jantusen tarina".

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
KHL is planning a KHL team in Monaco and they are planning to build same kind of arena, that HIFK is planning in Helsinki (Helsinki Garden project).

Where in god’s green earth would you put it? Replace the tent by Stade Louis II? Tear down part of the Grimaldi center and go from there? Nobody goes to the football matches, how are they going to support hockey at a level that the KHL looks to be striving for? How much money does one have to ship out of Russia? Is there a person looking to leave office soon?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Where in god’s green earth would you put it? Replace the tent by Stade Louis II? Tear down part of the Grimaldi center and go from there? Nobody goes to the football matches, how are they going to support hockey at a level that the KHL looks to be striving for? How much money does one have to ship out of Russia? Is there a person looking to leave office soon?

If they intend to copy the Helsinki Garden model, underground.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
If they intend to copy the Helsinki Garden model, underground.

So maybe they’re looking to build at the start/finish line? They’re going to build a bathtub for the arena? Either that or the tent by the stadium, which will mean blowing up 140k cubic meters of rock.

If they did something like Helsinki Gardens, they’d likely quadruple the amount of commercial real estate when most “offices” there are a mailbox facility.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
So Jari Kurri takes full ownership of Jokerit, with Rotenberg and Timchenko gone. Jokerit are looking to strengthen their financial situation by getting more sponsorship from large Finnish companies. I'm not sure how realistic that is but at least this is a step forward in making Jokerit a more marketable organization with the sanctioned shareholders gone.

https://www.jokerit.com/jokerit-takaisin-taysin-suomalaiseen-omistukseen

Reactions: vorky

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Either he's just a frontman with Russian money behind him (more likely), or Jokerit is gravitating towards Liiga return (less likely).

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Either he's just a frontman with Russian money behind him (more likely), or Jokerit is gravitating towards Liiga return (less likely).

Since the arena will still remain under Russian ownership this seems to be most Jokerit fans at Jatkoaika are expecting/dreading.

And Sasha Huttunen tweeted this:

The funding will still come from Russians, this was just a way to avoid sanctions.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
As far as I know the journo has a very strong anti-KHL agenda promoting various conspiracy theories. Either way it's in the interest of the arena owners to have a team there, no matter whether the team's future is in the KHL or Liiga. Even just selling it will be significantly more difficult without a team.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
What implications could this change of the leadership have? Is it something important in terms of how the club is run?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->