Value of: Johnny Gaudreau to Columbus

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Name triggermen in the league better than Monahan the past 5 years. There's maybe 4 or 5 (look up the stats, it will kill you to see I'm right).
Elias Lindholm has just as many goals over the last 2 years. I don't recall anybody ever calling him one of the best triggermen in the league during his time in Carolina.

In fact, both Lindholm and Monahan have 30 5v5 goals over last two seasons - Gaudreau has assisted on 21 of Monahan's goals (15 primary), but only 14 of Lindolm's (9 primary). Monahan hasn't even been the best triggerman on his own line for the last 2 years.

The fact that Monahan has scored a lot of goals does not make him an elite triggerman. It means he is able to finish tap-ins from Johnny Gaudreau.

Monahan is a capable finisher, but certainly not elite. And unfortunately that is where it ends for him. He isn't able to do anything else at the level of a first line player, let alone a first line center.

Reactions: Kegsey

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Elias Lindholm has just as many goals over the last 2 years. I don't recall anybody ever calling him one of the best triggermen in the league during his time in Carolina.

In fact, both Lindholm and Monahan have 30 5v5 goals over last two seasons - Gaudreau has assisted on 21 of Monahan's goals (15 primary), but only 14 of Lindolm's (9 primary). Monahan hasn't even been the best triggerman on his own line for the last 2 years.

The fact that Monahan has scored a lot of goals does not make him an elite triggerman. It means he is able to finish tap-ins from Johnny Gaudreau.

Monahan is a capable finisher, but certainly not elite. And unfortunately that is where it ends for him. He isn't able to do anything else at the level of a first line player, let alone a first line center.

Monahan has scored consistently even when not playing with Gaudreau. Also, if you actually saw him play, you would know he scores more than tap ins. He's extremely calm in front of the net and great at corralling pucks and then making great shots.

Lindholm scoring without Gaudreau is also proof that his numbers are coming from him being a better player than he was in Carolina.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
play on our second pairing. On our strongest side of the ice. Yes, that’s who we were after.

Come on man. We were totally after a forward.

And that's probably why no deal was made if it didn't make sense for Columbus. But there is a zero percent chance Calgary ever entertained moving a forward for Anderson.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
And that's probably why no deal was made if it didn't make sense for Columbus. But there is a zero percent chance Calgary ever entertained moving a forward for Anderson.
Umm so 1 of their like 2 D they had under contract at the time? So you are sure it was Hanifin then ?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Monahan has scored consistently even when not playing with Gaudreau. Also, if you actually saw him play, you would know he scores more than tap ins. He's extremely calm in front of the net and great at corralling pucks and then making great shots.

I've seen him play well over 400 games lol.

Lindholm scoring without Gaudreau is also proof that his numbers are coming from him being a better player than he was in Carolina.
If you watched him consistently in Carolina (which I did), you would know this is not the case. He didn't just go from a career 45 point player to a ~30 goal ~70 point player overnight.

For the record, I was arguing that Lindholm was better than Monahan way back in Jan 2017, and people thought I was nuts. Go back and see for yourself:
Lindholm is better than Monahan.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't doubt conversations were had. The part I know is not true is the part about Gaudreau or Monahan being included. Again, Calgary adds Anderson to play him on a line WITH Monahan/Gaudreau.

I would assume the main piece going to Columbus in an Anderson deal would have been Noah Hanafin, not either of those guys.

The team with too many top four LHD goes to Calgary to shop for more? Makes zero sense.

It was never Gaudreau, though.

From all the rumors (from respected sources) it sure seems like Calgary was considered a major shakeup involving Gaudreau, and he is exactly what Columbus needs. I think Calgary chose wisely to keep him. Obviously Calgary wouldn't consider a deal trading Gaudreau with Anderson as the center piece but I do think they considered a "big offer" involving Anderson as one piece - too much smoke for there not to be a fire. Nice to see Flames fans close ranks around Gaudreau now but you only have to go back a month to find a different point of view.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Damn try and at least hide the fact you're absolute troll better. Head-ass can't even act like they keep up with the conversation and default to "OILERS AND CNAUCKS GOOD NO 1C". It's honestly embarrassing how you're trying to pull some ammo to shit-talk out of your ass like that after your poorly thought out troll attempts get refuted
Another distraught flames fan who is upset that the competition got better...
Yawn...........

Ledge And Dairy

Another distraught flames fan who is upset that the competition got better...
Yawn...........
They got better?
Edmonton is basically the same team as last year, they slightly upgraded their powerplay while getting worse on defense. Talk about putting all your eggs in 1 basket...
Vancouver lost their starting goaltender as well as a key top 4 RW and some important depth and only slightly upgraded their D core.

Of the 3 western Canadian teams Calgary definitely improved the most this off season

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
They got better?
Edmonton is basically the same team as last year, they slightly upgraded their powerplay while getting worse on defense. Talk about putting all your eggs in 1 basket...
Vancouver lost their starting goaltender as well as a key top 4 RW and some important depth and only slightly upgraded their D core.

Of the 3 western Canadian teams Calgary definitely improved the most this off season

Their depth on the wing isn't total trash anymore and they have a solid #3C with some actual offense on their backend.

I'm not in the business of praising their asses, but they did already too.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Now Monahan isn’t even a good goal scorer. The narrative never stops :laugh:

scores more goals than Nathan Mackinnon after 7 seasons = meh at goal scoring.

Another HF hot take, he scored 23 goals with Glencross and Jones at the end of their careers as a rookie. He’s an elite finisher.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Monahan is definitely one of the better finishers in the league, not the best but he is very reliable for popping in rebounds and pucks thrown to the slot

Agree, he is very good in that area and has great instincts. My point has always been that he doesn't do many other things very well to be a true 1C.

His finishing ability around the net has never been in question. He's not the best, but he's definitely very good.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
They got better?

Vancouver was already bettwr by default. They resigned a key player in Jake and have anotjrr younger cheaper goikae ready to take over and a stanely cup winning goalie which no other western team has .
Edmonton got deeper up front and may have found their 3C. Barrie will excel with mcdavid and may lead the NHL in defense points. Edmontons powerplay will be better as well.
Calagary lost brodie gained an older slower tanev Markstrom was a good signing but its not enough to push them past the Oilers or Vancouver. Unless you think dom simon is gonna get you 25 goals ..ahahah

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
They got better?

Shhh. Don't tell him that the Jets are a Western Canadian team too... (And that they've clearly improved their roster from last season.)

Ledge And Dairy

Vancouver was already bettwr by default. They resigned a key player in Jake and have anotjrr younger cheaper goikae ready to take over and a stanely cup winning goalie which no other western team has .
Edmonton got deeper up front and may have found their 3C. Barrie will excel with mcdavid and may lead the NHL in defense points. Edmontons powerplay will be better as well.
Calagary lost brodie gained an older slower tanev Markstrom was a good signing but its not enough to push them past the Oilers or Vancouver. Unless you think dom simon is gonna get you 25 goals ..ahahah
I get that you hate Calgary but I really dont understand why. You're a freaking pens fan for crying out loud. Calgary isnt even remotely relevant to Pittsburgh unless they meet in the finals. I really would love to hear your reasoning behind hating a team on the other side of the continent from your beloved Penguins, please share this with us.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Fans forget a little thing called chemistry. No one knows how any of the new players will gel with their current team . Also no one knows how many younger players will take a step or 2 forward . I have always been a Jones supporter. I will say it again . Before Broberg was drafted I always said Jones would become Edmonton best LD . He does everything very very good . Not elite but really good . I may be wrong point is no one knows . I think Calgary is a very deep team but has lacked heart but it only takes one or 2 players that give 110% every shift and never give up to change a team . See Yamamoto in Edmonton last year . Time will tell but if I was betting I would say Vancouver takes a step back Calgary and Edmonton a step forward . I also would bet that Edmonton’s PP isn’t as good . It was historic good last year and even though on paper it should be better it’s unlike to be even as good .

Reactions: Mazatt

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I get that you hate Calgary but I really dont understand why. You're a freaking pens fan for crying out loud. Calgary isnt even remotely relevant to Pittsburgh unless they meet in the finals. I really would love to hear your reasoning behind hating a team on the other side of the continent from your beloved Penguins, please share this with us.
Hate calgary??? What??? Have alotnl of respect for calgary and alberta. I lived in red deer for a while... try again son iam a fan of hockey in general especiallyCanadian teams . Iam a fan if Saj Bennett, i think Markstromis good, Gio as well.. fan of TJ brodie....but the reality is the flames are going to take a step back. Losing brodie will hurt . What johnny are we gonna see.? Is there enough depth in the bottom 6. They need a true 1C t9 make some noise. They play in a division with the best 2 offensive players in the world . Edmonton got better . Vancouver was already better toss in west teams like Colorado Vegas that got alot better... Dallas st Louis and the jets right there ... ... and now you see the playoffs are gonna be long shot... ..

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Hate calgary??? What??? Have alotnl of respect for calgary and alberta. I lived in red deer for a while... try again son iam a fan of hockey in general especiallyCanadian teams . Iam a fan if Saj Bennett, i think Markstromis good, Gio as well.. fan of TJ brodie....but the reality is the flames are going to take a step back. Losing brodie will hurt . What johnny are we gonna see.? Is there enough depth in the bottom 6. They need a true 1C t9 make some noise. They play in a division with the best 2 offensive players in the world . Edmonton got better . Vancouver was already better toss in west teams like Colorado Vegas that got alot better... Dallas st Louis and the jets right there ... ... and now you see the playoffs are gonna be long shot... ..
Enough depth in the bottom six? The Flames have an incredible bottom six now. They just signed the great bottom six guys.

Loved Brodie, but Tanev is just better.

The main issue with the Flames is they need more consistent scoring from the top 6. Let's remember though that Tkachuk was out for the Dallas series.

If the Flames can add a big name at the deadline, they'll be a much improved team.

Most commentators are listing the Flames as one of the most improved teams. Your take here is way off.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00