Value of: Johnny Gaudreau to Columbus

Bond

May 10, 2012
Boston and Calgary were among the others who badly wanted Anderson. If it had been the Flames, I think we’re talking about a pretty big deal.
– Elliotte Friedman, Sportsnet

Come again?
Bennett + Rittich + b prospect for Anderson + goalie +c prospect. There is a big deal.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I see a quality thread.

Probably one 2nd pair defender is reasonable valuation.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Anderson is being under-rated. But since he's on the Habs now...ya'll will see soon enough.

I imagine it would have been:

Werenski + Anderson + Center or Goalie and Picks/Prospects
for
Monahan + Gaudreau + Dman and/or Picks/Prospects

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
...Columbus trying to discuss and Calgary hanging up?

Indeed. I don't believe Calgary had much interest in trading both Gaudreau AND Monahan.

There is no way you actually believe Anderson was the main piece in a Gaudreau trade...

Co-main piece, along with the goalie. Absolutely.

Your whole “no sources” really sold me on your rumour that you made up.

Perhaps this can help you understand..

Rumor: Calgary to make big trade offer to Columbus - NHL Rumors - NHLTradeRumors.Me

This article (maybe not the most reputable website) cites an unnamed source with a potential trade offer, and Aaron Portzline citing the Flames extreme interest in Anderson. This interest will be later confirmed by another source.

Then in a "31 Thoughts" article, Friedman says this:

5. Boston and Calgary were among the others who badly wanted Anderson. If it had been the Flames, I think we’re talking about a pretty big deal.

31 Thoughts: Inside the tough, tense early days of NHL free agency

So, yeah. Maybe I don't have EVERY detail down. But I am 100% certain the Jackets were after BOTH Gaudreau and Monahan. Using Anderson and a goalie as the main trade pieces.

Do I think Calgary was close to taking it? No. I don't. I think they offered far less for Anderson alone, because they had more interest in pursuing a goalie in FA rather than trade. But this is also why Anderson is in Montreal and not Calgary. Which is completely OK. I am not "making up" this rumor. I am speculating.

Such a crazy take here.

Explain.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Ledge And Dairy

Indeed. I don't believe Calgary had much interest in trading both Gaudreau AND Monahan.

Rumor: Calgary to make big trade offer to Columbus - NHL Rumors - NHLTradeRumors.Me

This article (maybe not the most reputable website) cites an unnamed source with a potential trade offer, and Aaron Portzline citing the Flames extreme interest in Anderson. This interest will be later confirmed by another source.

So, yeah. Maybe I don't have EVERY detail down. But I am 100% certain the Jackets were after BOTH Gaudreau and Monahan. Using Anderson and a goalie as the main trade pieces.

Do I think Calgary was close to taking it? No. I don't. I think they offered far less for Anderson alone, because they had more interest in pursuing a goalie in FA rather than trade. But this is also why Anderson is in Montreal and not Calgary. Which is completely OK. I am not "making up" this rumor. I am speculating.

Explain.
So Merz Anderson, Bemstrom, and a 1st for Gaudreau? Thats probably somewhat fair. I would consider it.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I think that the Flames are wanting to move Johnny but the offers just are not there. Tree is a patient GM , and no one is offering a player of equal or similar skill, or the pieces in return don’t make the flames any better .So no point in trading him just for the sake of moving him.

But , who is going to offer quality assets for two years of Johnny?
Is he the 99 point player of two years ago or has he been “figured out “ and teams know how to play him and he is more of a 60 point player ?
IMO he is somewhere in between.
People either see him as a dynamic 99 point winger , or a soft perimeter player that shys away from contact and cannot be productive in the playoffs.
Thats why his value is all over the map here.
Really good complimentary piece but not the piece to build around and rely on to carry the team.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

You can't be 100% certain they were trying to get both Gaudreau and Monahan. I'm skeptical in part because I wouldn't want Monahan at all, but also because it would still be a "big trade" as rumored if it was just Gaudreau coming back.

So Merz Anderson, Bemstrom, and a 1st for Gaudreau? Thats probably somewhat fair. I would consider it.

Maybe Flames fans have raised their price since the initial playoff defeat and disappointment, but several were supporting the idea of Foudy+Gavrikov at that time. I could see Columbus going a little higher than that - perhaps Anderson+Bemstrom/Foudy+1st, but not Merzlikins+Anderson+Bemstrom+1st, that's a bit of a haul for a guy with just two years left on his deal. At least Columbus can't make that sort of move for a guy without a long term contract.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Admittedly biased because I think Gaudreau would be a fantastic fit next to Dubois and is exactly the piece needed to help Columbus' PP, but I suspect that Columbus will retain interest in Gaudreau going forward, through the deadline and into next summer. Unfortunately even if Calgary is disappointing a bit they're not likely to be sellers mid-season, their division (Pacific or Canadian) will be a lot easier than Columbus'.

Ledge And Dairy

You can't be 100% certain they were trying to get both Gaudreau and Monahan. I'm skeptical in part because I wouldn't want Monahan at all, but also because it would still be a "big trade" as rumored if it was just Gaudreau coming back.

Maybe Flames fans have raised their price since the initial playoff defeat and disappointment, but several were supporting the idea of Foudy+Gavrikov at that time. I could see Columbus going a little higher than that - perhaps Anderson+Bemstrom/Foudy+1st, but not Merzlikins+Anderson+Bemstrom+1st, that's a bit of a haul for a guy with just two years left on his deal. At least Columbus can't make that sort of move for a guy without a long term contract.
Players are at their highest trade value with 2 years left on their contract. look at Blake Coleman

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Players are at their highest trade value with 2 years left on their contract. look at Blake Coleman

I've heard that stat but I don't think it applies to Columbus anymore since the Panarin debacle. Two years left doesn't sound so great right now.

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
Monahan + Gaudreau for Anderson + goalie + asset was never on the table, or even discussed because that is just absurd. Why would Calgary ever consider that? In what way does that deal make us a better team now or in the future?

Yeah lets trade away 120-160 points for a 5.5 million 1 goal player, a bang average goalie and another throw in piece.

CBJwennberg10 is Eklund confirmed e5

Reactions: Mobiandi and Mazatt

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think that the Flames are wanting to move Johnny but the offers just are not there. Tree is a patient GM , and no one is offering a player of equal or similar skill, or the pieces in return don’t make the flames any better .So no point in trading him just for the sake of moving him.

But , who is going to offer quality assets for two years of Johnny?
Is he the 99 point player of two years ago or has he been “figured out “ and teams know how to play him and he is more of a 60 point player ?
IMO he is somewhere in between.

His worst scoring pace in a season in 65 points during his rookie year. He's got 241 points in his last 232 games.

Anyone asking themselves if he a 60 point player doesn't know what they are talking about.

He is an elite play driving winger who is asked to do more puck carrying than pretty much any winger in the league while playing with one of the worst "first line" centers in the league.

He'd be a consistent 100+ point player with a true 1C.

People either see him as a dynamic 99 point winger , or a soft perimeter player that shys away from contact and cannot be productive in the playoffs.
Thats why his value is all over the map here.
Really good complimentary piece but not the piece to build around and rely on to carry the team.

He carried them to first place in the West in 2018-19 and was a leading contender for the Hart up until the ASG of that year.

How many wingers are capable of turning Monahan into an 80+ point center?

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Boston and Calgary were among the others who badly wanted Anderson. If it had been the Flames, I think we’re talking about a pretty big deal.
– Elliotte Friedman, Sportsnet

Come again?
Riiiight that means Gaudreau and Monahan for Anderson and Korpisalo was heavily implied

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
His worst scoring pace in a season in 65 points during his rookie year. He's got 241 points in his last 232 games.

Anyone asking themselves if he a 60 point player doesn't know what they are talking about.

He is an elite play driving winger who is asked to do more puck carrying than pretty much any winger in the league while playing with one of the worst "first line" centers in the league.

He'd be a consistent 100+ point player with a true 1C.

Shhhh.. They're not supposed to figure this out until after they trade Gaudreau away.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Anderson is being under-rated. But since he's on the Habs now...ya'll will see soon enough.
Please explain how he's being underrated when it's being said that trading him for a HART CALIBRE player is underrating him? Like, there's people using the 1 goal against him which isn't fair, but the idea that Anderson in a 1 for 1 swap for Gaudreau is fair at all is even more absurd.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Has 2 more years. Are you even familiar with the player?
Very familiar. Also word has is he has no plans to sign in Calgary and very strong rumors that he will be traded before the expansion draft. This was straight outta flame land ....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->