Value of: Johnny Gaudreau to Columbus

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
The rumor was he would've been traded before the start of Free Agency. If you're going to pontificate on rumors, please keep up.

and the Flames have just finished loading up with Tanev, Markstrom and Leivo, so not sure trading one of your top players NOW is the direction they're going ! o_O

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I’ve arrived again. I don’t see Monahan + Gaudreau for Anderson in there, anywhere, do you?

No. All I see is the other poster saying it could have been a "big deal" and inserting 'no sources' in brackets before he elaborates on the deal. I provided a source on the idea that this would have made for a larger deal than just a one for one. I see a lot of Flames posters dumping on Anderson... and I'm pretty excited to see a Canadian division this year. Gratuitous player-trashing posts don't necessarily go unnoticed. All good though, I get the underrating and all.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So Merz Anderson, Bemstrom, and a 1st for Gaudreau? Thats probably somewhat fair. I would consider it.

You would CONSIDER that?

A second liner RFA, our top prospect (imo, at least top 3 for others), a starting goalie with really high end upside, and a first round pick

for Gaudreau, a first liner, with two years before UFA.

Pass whatever you’re smoking if you don’t take that and run. The jackets wouldn’t even consider that. It was Anderson and a goalie.

Reactions: hmc1987

Ledge And Dairy

You would CONSIDER that?

A second liner RFA, our top prospect (imo, at least top 3 for others), a starting goalie with really high end upside, and a first round pick

Pass whatever you’re smoking if you don’t take that and run. The jackets wouldn’t even consider that. It was Anderson and a goalie.

We are talking about Gaudreau here, one of the best players in the league...
Anderson is not a bona fide 2nd liner. He is a middle 6 player with the tools to be a Tom Wilson like player but is not there (yet). Tell me would you rather have that listed package or Seth Jones?

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
You would CONSIDER that?

I wouldn't consider that as a Flames fan. Yeah, if I HAD to trade him maybe, but I'm trading an elite winger for a bunch of pieces we don't need and no sure thing futures.

Anderson at the contract Montreal signed him to has negative value. Plus if Calgary is interested, it's because they want to play Anderson WITH Gaudreau.

Merz is a good goalie, but we got a better goalie for free. He has value, but not to Calgary.

The 1st is going to be low if you have Gaudreau.

So really it comes down to Bemstrom, and I'd rather keep the elite player than roll the dice there.

So nice package? Sure, but not something Calgary gives their best player for.

Would you accept that package for Dubois?

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
The rumor was he would've been traded before the start of Free Agency. If you're going to pontificate on rumors, please keep up.
League wide thought is Johnny wants to play on the east coast. Until he has signed an extension those rumors will continue..and they should
Alot rides on how the flames do this year but with Edmonton and Vancouver both
getting better, the playoffs might be out of site.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
and the Flames have just finished loading up with Tanev, Markstrom and Leivo, so not sure trading one of your top players NOW is the direction they're going ! o_O
Loaded up??? Markstrom was a good signing but really ??? You lost brodie and replaced him with an older slower version. Still no true # 1 C oh wait dom simon can play there !!!!:nod:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
We are talking about Gaudreau here, one of the best players in the league...
Anderson is not a bona fide 2nd liner. He is a middle 6 player with the tools to be a Tom Wilson like player but is not there (yet). Tell me would you rather have that listed package or Seth Jones?

Weird question considering they’re all Blue Jackets anyway. Also weird to compare Seth Jones to Gaudreau. One is a great first line forward, another is one of the best at his ore important) positions.

I wouldn't consider that as a Flames fan. Yeah, if I HAD to trade him maybe, but I'm trading an elite winger for a bunch of pieces we don't need and no sure thing futures.

Anderson at the contract Montreal signed him to has negative value. Plus if Calgary is interested, it's because they want to play Anderson WITH Gaudreau.

Merz is a good goalie, but we got a better goalie for free. He has value, but not to Calgary.

The 1st is going to be low if you have Gaudreau.

So really it comes down to Bemstrom, and I'd rather keep the elite player than roll the dice there.

So nice package? Sure, but not something Calgary gives their best player for.

Would you accept that package for Dubois?

Another weird question. You have to give me a comparable package, not the same one. Trading CBJ players for CBJ players isn’t possible.

Andersons contract would have had to been signed by anyone who traded for him. Calgary was obviously fine with this or they wouldn’t have offered.

These conversations are all useless anyway. Calgary was interested in Anderson and a goalie for one of their players (Gaudreau or Monahan). They didn’t get Anderson, and they got their goalie. There’s no deal to discuss here anymore. However I am fairly confident they discussed one prior to Anderson’s move to MTL.

Reactions: Dumais

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Loaded up??? Markstrom was a good signing but really ??? You lost brodie and replaced him with an older slower version. Still no true # 1 C oh wait dom simon can play there !!!!:nod:

you think replacing Brodie with Tanev is a BAD move for the Flames?? :laugh:

Ledge And Dairy

Weird question considering they’re all Blue Jackets anyway. Also weird to compare Seth Jones to Gaudreau. One is a great first line forward, another is one of the best at his ore important) positions.

Another weird question. You have to give me a comparable package, not the same one. Trading CBJ players for CBJ players isn’t possible.

Andersons contract would have had to been signed by anyone who traded for him. Calgary was obviously fine with this or they wouldn’t have offered.

These conversations are all useless anyway. Calgary was interested in Anderson and a goalie for one of their players (Gaudreau or Monahan). They didn’t get Anderson, and they got their goalie. There’s no deal to discuss here anymore. However I am fairly confident they discussed one prior to Anderson’s move to MTL.
You are completely avoiding the question though. Lets say someone had nearly identical players/prospects/picks to the package above, Would you trade Jones for that package? Hell if I added another 2nd to the package would you trade Jones for it? The question is really simple, would you rather have that package or Seth Jones? Regardless of if you already have both, which do you value more right now?

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
League wide thought is Johnny wants to play on the east coast. Until he has signed an extension those rumors will continue..and they should
Alot rides on how the flames do this year but with Edmonton and Vancouver both
getting better, the playoffs might be out of site.
Damn try and at least hide the fact you're absolute troll better. Head-ass can't even act like they keep up with the conversation and default to "OILERS AND CNAUCKS GOOD NO 1C". It's honestly embarrassing how you're trying to pull some ammo to shit-talk out of your ass like that after your poorly thought out troll attempts get refuted

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
His worst scoring pace in a season in 65 points during his rookie year. He's got 241 points in his last 232 games.

Anyone asking themselves if he a 60 point player doesn't know what they are talking about.

He is an elite play driving winger who is asked to do more puck carrying than pretty much any winger in the league while playing with one of the worst "first line" centers in the league.

He'd be a consistent 100+ point player with a true 1C.

He carried them to first place in the West in 2018-19 and was a leading contender for the Hart up until the ASG of that year.

How many wingers are capable of turning Monahan into an 80+ point center?

You're so unbelievably clueless.

Gaudreau would be a 100 point player if he was a better player. Gaudreau would be a 100 point player if he wasn't the biggest p***y in the league and would take a hit.

Name triggermen in the league better than Monahan the past 5 years. There's maybe 4 or 5 (look up the stats, it will kill you to see I'm right).

Gaudreau isn't a 100 point player because he's not that good of a player. If he was, he'd have a 100 point season.

And most if not all these proposals in this thread are absolute dog shit, Flames get hosed in every one.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Please explain how he's being underrated when it's being said that trading him for a HART CALIBRE player is underrating him? Like, there's people using the 1 goal against him which isn't fair, but the idea that Anderson in a 1 for 1 swap for Gaudreau is fair at all is even more absurd.
I would say look no further than your own sarcasm and passive-aggressive post for proof. Or do you want to skip that and just quote the tiresome argument of 1 goal Josh.

It's easy to see your side of the argument...harder to see mine; I'll admit.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I would say look no further than your own sarcasm and passive-aggressive post for proof. Or do you want to skip that and just quote the tiresome argument of 1 goal Josh.

It's easy to see your side of the argument...harder to see mine; I'll admit.
I wasn't going for passive aggresive, I was genuinely confused where he was being underrated--or at least where it outweighed the massive overrating that was done a page before, which most likely shaded how I read your post.

Regardless, I wasn't using the '1-goal lmao' excuse, I was saying that it was the underrating I saw (which I said was unfair to his value as a player), but that the idea that if there was a deal it was either: for Gaudreau 1 for 1, or for Monahan and Gaudreau for Anderson and a goalie. That's where I was saying he was being overrated by posters feeling that a Tom Wilson-esque player with speed is worth more than a player who is hart calibre. I was moreso trying to say 'imagine if Hall in Jersey got an offer of Anderson straight up, two years ago' instead of 'Anderson sucks and is nowhere close to Gaudreau in value'

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
This topic is a mess and should be trashed. For starters, the super sketchy unfounded rumour was Anderson, one of the goalies, and something else for Monahan. Gaudreau was never part of this. Think the logic from the Flames was they could ice a Gaudreau-Lindholm-Anderson top line without much of a step back from losing Monahan. But obviously this is now dead and buried given the Flames signed Markstrom longterm. But thinking that sorry package would get two first liners is hilarious. Dream big.

Secondly, Gaudreau continues to be horrifically underrated but that's nothing new. The offers here are embarrassing even for HF. A wildly overrated roster player, a backup goalie and a pick is the kind of price you at the deadline for a Gaudreau who absolutely refuses to re-sign in Calgary; not a Gaudreau that still has two years left on his contract and just stated how much he loves being in Calgary (yeah, yeah typical player non-answer blah blah blah -- but it's worth just as much as the so called rumors of him wanting out).

Columbus doesn't have the parts to get Gaudreau at this point, aside from their untouchables, which obviously they're not moving at this point.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013

I don't doubt conversations were had. The part I know is not true is the part about Gaudreau or Monahan being included. Again, Calgary adds Anderson to play him on a line WITH Monahan/Gaudreau.

I would assume the main piece going to Columbus in an Anderson deal would have been Noah Hanafin, not either of those guys.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I understand why people don't think much of Josh. And I also understand people that do. (many many threads on Mr. Anderson)

Anderson's actual value is Domi and a 3rd, Korpi has been behind a 2xVezina winner and had to battle a Calder candidate all year; but had his chance to shine in the playoffs and did. Ask TBL (cup winners) and Leaf fans (great offense) what they thought of our goalies. So that aint exactly nothing. But I will concede your point, horrible return for the Flames; could get way more elsewhere.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
You are completely avoiding the question though. Lets say someone had nearly identical players/prospects/picks to the package above, Would you trade Jones for that package? Hell if I added another 2nd to the package would you trade Jones for it? The question is really simple, would you rather have that package or Seth Jones? Regardless of if you already have both, which do you value more right now?

Too many variables to consider. Is Jones playing well? Is he happy? Are we contending? Is he showing signs that he won’t re-sign? If these are all bad answers, then yes.

I don't doubt conversations were had. The part I know is not true is the part about Gaudreau or Monahan being included. Again, Calgary adds Anderson to play him on a line WITH Monahan/Gaudreau.

I would assume the main piece going to Columbus in an Anderson deal would have been Noah Hanafin, not either of those guys.

Ah yes. Noah Hanifin. Who would play on our second pairing. On our strongest side of the ice. Yes, that’s who we were after.

Come on man. We were totally after a forward.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Columbus don't have a chance at getting Gaudreau and frankly never will

Columbus should be in on Hoffman anyways which will cost them zero assets.

While moving cap is a good thing I don't think many (if any) other GMs move Nutivaara and Murray for a...what 4th and 5th rounders? I get the cap dump part but surely the value for an established Mid pair LD is more than a 5th????

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Columbus should be in on Hoffman anyways which will cost them zero assets.

While moving cap is a good thing I don't think many (if any) other GMs move Nutivaara and Murray for a...what 4th and 5th rounders? I get the cap dump part but surely the value for an established Mid pair LD is more than a 5th????
Watching other teams NOW try to dump payroll, makes me think Jarmo was smart for moving them for what he did. Ofcourse they are worth more, but not in a flat cap world. Do you think Johnson from TBL is a cap dump? Because he couldn't be given away for free. Tampa will likely have to attach an asset with him to move him. And if Jarmo wouldve waited till now; Murray or Nuti would cost CBJ an asset to move. And both have been pushed to the 3rd pairing. And a combined 6+m for a 3rd pairing is too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad