Value of: Johnny Gaudreau to Columbus

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
People really out here saying "calgary will be upset with the return" when the returns are "I wouldn't do Domi" or "Goalie + small add" or "Voracek and Ghostisbere". If you think Calgary turning these down is unrealistic idk what to tell you

Reactions: Mobiandi

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
We have a good GM, in terms of trades.

I think the waters been so tainted up north you guys don’t know what a good return would look like.
Lol. You’re dreaming. If you even trade this guy, you’ll be initially shocked and insulted by the return. Then you’ll do what Habs fans did and convince yourselves it’s not so bad. And then that you got a good deal will be the last part of your acceptance. The rest of us will just chuckle.

flames are going to lose a Johnny G trade if it happens. And lose it badly they will.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Lol. You’re dreaming. If you even trade this guy, you’ll be initially shocked and insulted by the return. Then you’ll do what Habs fans did and convince yourselves it’s not so bad. And then that you got a good deal will be the last part of your acceptance. The rest of us will just chuckle.

flames are going to lose a Johnny G trade if it happens. And lose it badly they will.

Really starting to wonder if people know the Flames aren't obligated to trade their star winger just because some Montreal TV personality said they would.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Looks like columbus is clearing room for someone......

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Perhaps and there could be a sweetener. This is all about cost certainty. Columbus would know what they have with Gaudreau. Hall is a crap shoot and in case you haven't been paying attention, Columbus hasn't had the best luck with UFA's. I think Hall is option 3 personally. I think they look to trade for Gaudreau, then Laine. If those fail, they look to offer Hall a deal, and if that doesn't work Mike Hoffman.

There is only one problem with this logic - Calgary probably won't trade Gaudreau unless they sign Hall. Even then, I myself don't actually think Gaudreau is going to be moving on if Hall gets signed by Calgary (which I am hoping for - dependent on term/cap - but doubtful on). I find it difficult to imagine that Calgary will end up trading Gaudreau if they don't sign Hall.

With that being said, I think Gaudreau would be magic with Dubois. If he is traded, I think I would enjoy watching him play with him quite a lot. I am not sure that Columbus makes the best trading partner with Calgary, however. It would probably be a deal centred around futures - you guys have some great pieces, but none of them I think you guys would really want to trade (irrespective of value +/- either way to balance). Just kind of defeats the purpose, especially when Gaudreau has 2 years left (but I can't imagine him re-signing for THAT much, but it would be a bump from his current salary, and thus I don't think that the Flames will HAVE to trade him unless he makes it clear he wants to move on).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

You hold onto your hopes my guy.
The rest of us can live in reality.

Reactions: Schred

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
The Blue Jackets and the Flames do not make good trading partners.

A young goalie, a 1st round pick, a top prospect/young NHL ready player.

Calgary will want the Byfield type prospect, but no team would offer it up for Gaudreau. Amazing winger with questions about size and playoff ability.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

Calgary will want the Byfield type prospect, but no team would offer it up for Gaudreau. Amazing winger with questions about size and playoff ability.

I don't think we are expecting the moon for him but we can't take shit for him either.

Reactions: Sam Pollock

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Idk, there are red flags with johnny with the main one being that he wants to play for NJ or the Flyers iirc. If I was the Jackets I’d offer peanuts. Plus he’s half the player Panarin is, he doesn’t go in the corners and retrieve pucks, the anto-torts type of player.

Ledge And Dairy

No, Calgary will want something similar to the Duchene package, which is a totally logical ask since he was the last top 6 player with 2 years of term at a good cap hit while in his prime to be traded.

Ledge And Dairy

Idk, there are red flags with johnny with the main one being that he wants to play for NJ or the Flyers iirc. If I was the Jackets I’d offer peanuts. Plus he’s half the player Panarin is, he doesn’t go in the corners and retrieve pucks, the anto-torts type of player.
Johnny wont want to play for the Devils he was a Flyers fan growing up since he lived just outside of Philly. Also him only wanting to play there is completely made up.
1 year ago Johnny was considered better than Panarin. Until his massive fall off after the All Star games Johnny was pacing 117 points for the season.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
No, Calgary will want something similar to the Duchene package, which is a totally logical ask since he was the last top 6 player with 2 years of term at a good cap hit while in his prime to be traded.

Then get a 3rd team that is willing to change the dynamic and make it a lopsided trade. Sounds easy enough.. do it.

Edit : Duchene was a center.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Johnny wont want to play for the Devils he was a Flyers fan growing up since he lived just outside of Philly. Also him only wanting to play there is completely made up.
1 year ago Johnny was considered better than Panarin, until his massive fall off after the All Star games Johnny was pacing 117 points for the season.
I’m sorry but people who are not flames homers and watches gaudreau play regularly knows he’s not close to what Panarin was since they both got into the league. His 99 point season last year doesn’t change that. He is a perimeter player who gets points, while very valuable he is a flight risk to the jackets and not worth the assets.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
It is fan speculation and media fueling rumors.

While I agree that Gaudreau is part of a solution and needs a better supporting cast, he is going to blamed like Kessel because managements inability to put a proper team together. In Canadian hockey markets they need a scapegoat and realistically it is looking like its going to be the wrong guy, Gaudreau. He is an elite complimentary winger which Calgary expected too much from, which is why I wouldnt be surprised if he is dealt soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad