Johnny Gaudreau: Goes from 115pts to 60pts within 2 seasons

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's so bad that he leads all LW'ers in primary assists at 5v5. While playing for a brand new coach on one of the worst teams in the league.

Unfortunately, he's got really nobody else to play with who can make high danger passes on a consistent basis. Hard to pick up secondary assists if nobody else can consistently set up their teammates (including him).

He's been scoring at a 70 point pace since mid November, after an understandably slow start (due to coaching kerfuffles). That's pretty decent considering the team he's playing for (and the system they employ).

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Just don’t think his heart is in it as much anymore. Columbus is also a mess of an org so that doesn’t help either
This he went from a Canadian hockey-mad city where he was the toast of the town loved by all, to a market where he was just another player , I think it killed his motivation

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He literally didn't even take the highest offer. He came to Columbus because Philly f***ed up and didn't have the ability to offer him a contract.

People are making up a lot of bullshit about Johnny and his greed or lack of competitive desire or desire to hide from fanbases.

He tried to sign in Philly!

And didn't even take the most money!

He wanted to be close to home and he and his wife liked Columbus and wanted to raise their family there. Why can't people respect that?

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Say what you want about Daryl Sutter, but *if* you are willing as a player to put your ego to the side, not have your feelings hurt at criticism, and play his system to a tee, he can get you results that can be wild overperformance (ie: see also the 2004 Calgary Flames).
Sutter got so much shit for the players being absolute babies. Fact is everyone on the flames except kadri played worse when he wasnt the coach. Flames were historically unluckly last year to barely miss the playoffs. This year all the talk is vibe is fantastic! Check the standing and they are crap. Guy knows what a successful system looks like, players just dont want to do it because its hard. If he was willing to play young players id take him over huska any day of the week.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
People are making up a lot of bullshit about Johnny and his greed or lack of competitive desire or desire to hide from fanbases.

He tried to sign in Philly!

And didn't even take the most money!

He wanted to be close to home and he and his wife liked Columbus and wanted to raise their family there. Why can't people respect that?
Because they're bitter about him not going to their team, or bitter that he singlehandedly killed the "nobody ever wants to play in Columbus" meme and are desperately trying to craft a watered-down replacement, or both.

• Wow
Reactions: Recipe Unlimited

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
What are you smoking. Huberdeau also scored 115 points that year
What does one have to do with the other? Two players can have surprisingly good seasons at the same time.

When you play on an elite line you tend to put up points, also shooting percentages are on the rise over the past few years
I already addressed this point. Huberdeau at age 28 suddenly had the 6th best on-ice shooting percentage in the past 15 years, out of close to 4,000 seasons from forwards - better than McDavid, Ovechkin and (full seasons from) Crosby. Is it really surprising to think that this is unsustainable?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
He literally didn't even take the highest offer. He came to Columbus because Philly f***ed up and didn't have the ability to offer him a contract.

its take the money AND escape the spotlight. Take the most amount of money and not be in a fishbowl. Look at the buzz in Philly around Couturier, The media can be loud and boisterous there. 60 points in Columbus from Gaudreau and crickets.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
its take the money AND escape the spotlight. Take the most amount of money and not be in a fishbowl. Look at the buzz in Philly around Couturier, The media can be loud and boisterous there. 60 points in Columbus from Gaudreau and crickets.

You're confused. Johnny was the one who wanted to sign in Philly and they wouldn't sign him because they had a hard time moving contracts.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
You're confused. Johnny was the one who wanted to sign in Philly and they wouldn't sign him because they had a hard time moving contracts.
ah, maybe, I can't say I follow him or his story. Just opening my fat mouth and running narratives.

Elias Lindholm on that same line also went from 82 points 2 years ago to 41 now.

42 goals back then to 14 this year
Its the clear the flames had something special that year, and it might have been trying to play well enough to get out of Calgary!

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
If he were putting up 60 points while another player on the Jackets put up a PPG I would be concerned.

As is, he's ~20 points ahead of the next player on the team. His 5v5 production is actually pretty good.

There are many problems right now with the Blue Jackets, but Gaudreau isn't really one of them.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Ya, those are like Kuch or Mac numbers from around that time, and no one thought Johnny was like them. He absolutely needs a shooter to compliment what he does.

Dude doesn’t have that dog in him though, he’s too full on ham, cheese, and good times. Seriously though, I put him more towards the Duchene territory of f***s given, probably has a healthier life balance than most players but that makes for disappointing seasons.
Yeah it's fun with hockey how the most sane and mentally stable players are seen as lazy locker room cancers.

Hamilton being traded for going to the library is perhaps the most blatant example.

Reactions: Hangemhigh

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Put up 115pts in 2021-22 and two seasons later he's on pace for 60pts this year. I didn't think we would see this much of a drop off, this soon. What happened to the guy? Is he now a 60pt player?

Do Jackets fans regret signing this guy?
Maybe they should try to get Lindholm in the offseason, and then try to find a Tkachuk. Though Tkachuk is a rare bread, they all made each other better and all benefit from playing with one another.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Some folks have posted concerns about Elias Lindholm's off ice habits, training, diet, etc... What do we know about that?

Lindholm really doesn't look good this year, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was an issue there, but I want to know if it is based on more solid information.

Asking for a non Blue Jacket fan friend.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Put up 115pts in 2021-22 and two seasons later he's on pace for 60pts this year. I didn't think we would see this much of a drop off, this soon. What happened to the guy? Is he now a 60pt player?

Do Jackets fans regret signing this guy?
Columbus is a ***tshow. Not everything is Johnny's fault.

Management is pathetic, a lot of blame needs to go there.

Babcock's hiring was icing on the cake... And Davidson (who basically said he vetted Babcock himself) is still calling the shots, so this is likely to continue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad