Johnny Gaudreau: Goes from 115pts to 60pts within 2 seasons

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The drop off is pretty large but may not be as huge as it seems.
Calgary years he had 210 goals and 609 points in 602 games.
CBJ years he has had 32 goals and 128 points in 153 games.
I think his CBJ years drop off in goals looks much worse than his drop off in points.

Funny enough the assists pace is the same.

His shot really isn't very good, maybe it got worse. I'd say that he can't get open looks without high quality linemates but I don't think that's true. He still gets a lot of good shooting looks these days and fires muffins.

His shooting percentage is less than half his career average. I checked the "ixG" stat to see the individual expected goals and it isn't much lower than normal.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Granted though given the results ... I wonder if more players should just bring their ego down and just play the way he wants.

Hard to argue with 110+ points and a +64 rating (highest since Wayne freaking Gretzky in his prime).

Do you want to be the best hockey player you can be or not?
Gaudreau reportedly never disliked Sutter. On the contrary actually, his father mentioned several times that he was the type of coach Gaudreau tends to thrive under.

Tkachuk, on the other hand, had a very strained relationship with him

Reactions: Hangemhigh

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 1.14.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 1.14.27 PM.png

Spargon

May 31, 2019
As a Jackets fan I can only imagine how bad and unwatchable the team would be without Johnny. We have gobs of cap space and endless ELC players so the cap hit doesn't matter, we just need better players, and to keep adding them so Johnny will have some better insulation.

We've seen before that he can pop with quality linemates, perhaps once Fantilli gets up to speed Johnny will have more to work with.
You guys need Laine to find the level he was during his ELC again. Then Johnny can have someone to pass to.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Him going to CBJ was the worst decision he’ll ever make.

I’m sure his wife is happy though.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You guys need Laine to find the level he was during his ELC again. Then Johnny can have someone to pass to.

Laine prefers to be the primary puck carrier on his line. Not that that's a good idea, but it's what he does.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Not surprising. Gaudreau's on-ice shooting percentage in 2022 was impossibly and unsustainably high:

1711734712871.png

To show how extraordinary that 13.4% rate was - McDavid has never come close to scoring at that rate. Neither has Ovechkin. Crosby did - but only over two injury-shortened seasons, amounting to less than 60 games.

In 2022, Gaudreau's on-ice shooting percentage was around 35% higher than his career average (13.4% vs 9.9%). It's extraordinarily unlikely that Gaudreau, at age 28, sudenly learned how to generate offense (at 5v5) at a rate that surpassed McDavid, Ovechkin and Crosby.

Another way of looking at it - this link shows all 3,910 seasons from forwards who meet certain parameters. Gaudreau has the 6th highest on-ice shooting percentage, which puts him (essentially) in the 100th percentile. As expected, it's reverted back to his career average the past two years.

Gaudreau never had the talent to be a 115 point scorer. My ballpark calculation suggests that he was playing at around a 98 point level in 2022. He got 17 points due to extraordinary luck. If that sounds harsh - that's pretty much what he produced in 2019. So the decrease in his production isn't surprising. Anyone who expected a repeat of 2022 was being unrealistic.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Not surprising. Gaudreau's on-ice shooting percentage in 2022 was impossibly and unsustainably high:

View attachment 843189

To show how extraordinary that 13.4% rate was - McDavid has never come close to scoring at that rate. Neither has Ovechkin. Crosby did - but only over two injury-shortened seasons, amounting to less than 60 games.

In 2022, Gaudreau's on-ice shooting percentage was around 35% higher than his career average (13.4% vs 9.9%). It's extraordinarily unlikely that Gaudreau, at age 28, sudenly learned how to generate offense (at 5v5) at a rate that surpassed McDavid, Ovechkin and Crosby.

Another way of looking at it - this link shows all 3,910 seasons from forwards who meet certain parameters. Gaudreau has the 6th highest on-ice shooting percentage, which puts him (essentially) in the 100th percentile. As expected, it's reverted back to his career average the past two years.

Gaudreau never had the talent to be a 115 point scorer. My ballpark calculation suggests that he was playing at around a 98 point level in 2022. He got 17 points due to extraordinary luck. If that sounds harsh - that's pretty much what he produced in 2019. So the decrease in his production isn't surprising. Anyone who expected a repeat of 2022 was being unrealistic.
What are you smoking. Huberdeau also scored 115 points that year

When you play on an elite line you tend to put up points, also shooting percentages are on the rise over the past few years

Blues as a team shot 12.4% that year, its feasible that a top line could score higher

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
By 26 Marner has three 90+ seasons (likely 4 if not for an injury) and plays a two way game. Gaudreau will never equal Marner.
I sure didn't say he would. Earlier innthe thred I basically said Johnny is finished.
But I did say for one year hexwas better. And I highly doubt Marner ever hits 115 points.
Play offs I can't recall either of them impressing

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

View attachment 843189

He must have went to the Rick Tocchet finishing school that season. :laugh:

I don't think a real comeback is in store for Johnny either. He's notably known for not being a fitness/diet guy so I could see him aging like Dany Heatley.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
He is a guy you can put with high-level players. If Fantilli didn’t get hurt he’d have a lot more points.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
he came to Columbus for money and to get the spotlight off of him.
He literally didn't even take the highest offer. He came to Columbus because Philly f***ed up and didn't have the ability to offer him a contract.

Calgary reportedly had offered eight years at $10.5 million per season, but Gaudreau decided early on that he wasn’t going back to the Flames. The Flyers, long expected to be the destination, didn’t make an offer, GM Chuck Fletcher told reporters, because it would have prompted other trades by Philadelphia.

New Jersey offered seven years and more than $9 million per season, per The Athletic’s Pierre LeBrun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad