Johnny Gaudreau: Goes from 115pts to 60pts within 2 seasons

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Put up 115pts in 2021-22 and two seasons later he's on pace for 60pts this year. I didn't think we would see this much of a drop off, this soon. What happened to the guy? Is he now a 60pt player?

Do Jackets fans regret signing this guy?

Reactions: Oilslick941611

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I know he had 115 and 99 pt seasons but I've always viewed him as more of a pt/g player. He'll bounce back to that at some point, his current linemates don't help

Ya, those are like Kuch or Mac numbers from around that time, and no one thought Johnny was like them. He absolutely needs a shooter to compliment what he does.

Dude doesn’t have that dog in him though, he’s too full on ham, cheese, and good times. Seriously though, I put him more towards the Duchene territory of f***s given, probably has a healthier life balance than most players but that makes for disappointing seasons.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
He was also a 60 point player two years before that 115 point season.
And a 99 point the season before that. 84 one more year back.

Can’t really comment too much on how he’s been playing this season but he’s definitely not surrounded with the same level of talent he had in Calgary.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Put up 115pts in 2021-22 and two seasons later he's on pace for 60pts this year. I didn't think we would see this much of a drop off, this soon. What happened to the guy? Is he now a 60pt player?

Look the players around him when he put up 115 pts and look at the players around him right now. He had absolutely nobody on the same tier of his linemates that he had in Calgary. Nobody in Columbus, nobody in the league expected him to put up 100 pts this season.

He has 20 points more than the next closest offensive player, if he had a compatible PPG player on his line I'm sure his numbers would be back into the PPG range.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I know he had 115 and 99 pt seasons but I've always viewed him as more of a pt/g player. He'll bounce back to that at some point, his current linemates don't help

Exactly. He’s an ~80 point guy who absolutely went off twice, but now doesn’t have a single forward on his team with more than 35 points. Even just as Fantilli improves, he’ll probably bounce back

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

As a Jackets fan I can only imagine how bad and unwatchable the team would be without Johnny. We have gobs of cap space and endless ELC players so the cap hit doesn't matter, we just need better players, and to keep adding them so Johnny will have some better insulation.

We've seen before that he can pop with quality linemates, perhaps once Fantilli gets up to speed Johnny will have more to work with.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Ya, those are like Kuch or Mac numbers from around that time, and no one thought Johnny was like them. He absolutely needs a shooter to compliment what he does.

Dude doesn’t have that dog in him though, he’s too full on ham, cheese, and good times. Seriously though, I put him more towards the Duchene territory of f***s given, probably has a healthier life balance than most players but that makes for disappointing seasons.
They thought he was better than Marner.

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
In retrospect that 2022 season was absolutely wild, that whole line was cooking with gas. Can't believe Johnny hockey was +64.

Reactions: PaulD

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not surprised his production took a dip independent of whatever help he has in CBJ. Seemed like he was looking for a quiet place to possibly soft land his career anyway.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The drop off is pretty large but may not be as huge as it seems.
Calgary years he had 210 goals and 609 points in 602 games.
CBJ years he has had 32 goals and 128 points in 153 games.
I think his CBJ years drop off in goals looks much worse than his drop off in points.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In retrospect that 2022 season was absolutely wild, that whole line was cooking with gas. Can't believe Johnny hockey was +64.

Say what you want about Daryl Sutter, but *if* you are willing as a player to put your ego to the side, not have your feelings hurt at criticism, and play his system to a tee, he can get you results that can be wild overperformance (ie: see also the 2004 Calgary Flames).

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
Say what you want about Daryl Sutter, but *if* you are willing as a player to put your ego to the side, not have your feelings hurt at criticism, and play his system to a tee, he can get you results that can be wild overperformance (ie: see also the 2004 Calgary Flames).
His coaching style has way too short of a shelf life in the current game. The classic rally the players around hating you can only work for so long.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

He had a perfect storm season and if one looked at his production in his career it was pretty easy to see especially after fleeing to Columbus and their obvious lack of a true #1 center.

Enjoy the money Johnny.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
His coaching style has way too short of a shelf life in the current game. The classic rally the players around hating you can only work for so long.

Granted though given the results ... I wonder if more players should just bring their ego down and just play the way he wants.

Hard to argue with 110+ points and a +64 rating (highest since Wayne freaking Gretzky in his prime).

Do you want to be the best hockey player you can be or not?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad