OT: John Tortorella Suspension? (UPD: Suspended 15 days/6 games, Hartley fined $25,000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetcoaster

I like Friedman. Him and Kevin Weekes seem like the most composed and knowledgeable personalities on HNIC.
Mind you when your competition is IncontinentJ Stock, a senile ex-coach and an apologist for the NHL and officials, that sets the competition bar very low, eh?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
If I shared your view Vanuck, I couldn't watch the games.

To me, to my mind, the league must be balanced in order for me to derive enjoyment from the play. I couldn't imagine how you would sit through a game, knowing/suspecting the Canucks are fighting uphill from the outset. Depressing.

Now don't get me wrong, I have often wondered about the disparity seen in officiating/discipline, but not enough to see a clear divide. I am, after all, a fan of team. So it's hard for me to separate my support of the team from action against that team. All that said, if I get jolted a few more times like I have with the Torts suspension, then I think I will get to the point you are at and just stop watching altogether.

Well, perhaps it came out more extreme than I meant it to, but to me now there's always that possibility of the Canucks getting shafted, even if it doesn't always happen. On the surface things might seem alright some of the time, but it does get harder and harder to watch when it just becomes so blatant. Never mind the fact they're judged differently by the refs because of this 'reputation' they have in the media and around the league.

Wetcoaster

Vancouver Province hockey writer Ben Kuzma is critical of Tortorella's impulse control as noted in today's Live Chat.

Here's what bugs me about Torts. I get the history and the rant and who Hartley started. But Torts had about 30 minutes of the first period to cool down and COACH the team. All he wanted to do was get at Hartley. That bugs me. He LOST focus. He should send McGrattan a thank-you card for keeping him from Flames room.
by Ben Kuzma 2:01 PM​

And the Burkie factor:
With Burke in the building Saturday night, I'll say this. We shook hands when he went to his perch, then I saw the starting lineup. Then I started thinking about Hartley trying to save his job and how Burkie wants his team to play. Connect the dots, folks.
by Ben Kuzma 2:06 PM​
http://live.theprovince.com/Event/Province_Sports_247_Live_Chat_Canucks_and_Stanley_Cup_Playoffs2

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Vancouver Province hockey writer Ben Kuzma is critical of Tortorella's impulse control as noted in today's Live Chat.

Here's what bugs me about Torts. I get the history and the rant and who Hartley started. But Torts had about 30 minutes of the first period to cool down and COACH the team. All he wanted to do was get at Hartley. That bugs me. He LOST focus. He should send McGrattan a thank-you card for keeping him from Flames room.

And the Burkie factor:
With Burke in the building Saturday night, I'll say this. We shook hands when he went to his perch, then I saw the starting lineup. Then I started thinking about Hartley trying to save his job and how Burkie wants his team to play. Connect the dots, folks.
http://live.theprovince.com/Event/Province_Sports_247_Live_Chat_Canucks_and_Stanley_Cup_Playoffs2
It's hard to argue with that, and I'm as biased a Canucks fan as they come...

Castle1*

And the Burkie factor:

HEY BEN KUZMA...no one cares whats bugs you...you pleeb.:laugh:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Burkie is a legend in his own mind.

And one should never confuse the bluster, bafflegab and blarney that spews forth from Mount Burke as having any basis in reality.

In June 1998 Burke was hired and who can forget his famous pronouncement about working with Mike Keenan:

"I'm thrilled to have Mike Keenan as my coach. It's not something that I am saddled with. It's something I have been blessed with."
always stand behind someone when you are about to stab them in the back

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I think we're all better off if Torts does have a little time to think about whether to rant or not. It works better if you pick your spots. I hope it was calculated on his part. Kuzma assumes that he wasn't coaching and "lost focus" but maybe this was some coaching?

Wetcoaster

I think we're all better off if Torts does have a little time to think about whether to rant or not. It works better if you pick your spots. I hope it was calculated on his part. Kuzma assumes that he wasn't coaching and "lost focus" but maybe this was some coaching?
Seems unlikely.

If this was a tactic it was an idiotic tactic.

I go with Kuzma on this one.

Outside99*

If you had been away from any hockey news service and had to guess what Torts did to merit that suspension, and were given all the precedents Incl. as recent as this year (Roy), you'd never guess that's all he did.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend

That's what was weird to me as well, how did Torts stay that enraged for so long?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Coaches have been suspended in the past - Harry Neale for example was suspended 10 games and the run to the Stanley Cup under the white towels began.

The NHL by-laws allow for both fines and suspensions and even expulsions of coaches (or other team employees). It also allows for the team to be fined up to $1 million in addition to any penalty levied against the offender.

Understood, they have a different ruleset (coaches), which is why I questioned viewing the suspension as parallel to what a player did in the past. If the ruleset is different, that parallel is not justified.

@IintheEye: Yes, there exists a disparity in many things, life especially. In the game, it makes you wonder sometimes. For me though, if I see a disparity from the outset, then I have to wonder why I watch the sport.

I appreciate the underdog, the us against them, but even when a team wins in this context, no real victory is procured. Just another blip on the game radar the powers that be wish to maintain. It can be... Meaningless on the whole.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I'm sick of the Canuck whining. Unlike the myth that the team is soft the opinion that the Canucks fans are whiners is 100% solid imo.

We have some heightened sense of entitlement (shown up unfortunately in the riots)
Wow, do everyone a favor and never group anyone into your horrible generalizations again.

We have a raving bampot for a coach and he hurts our team while pretending to be "protecting it" Look at him, he couldn't protect a flea in real life.

He rants and raves in the knowledge that no one will call him out. It's all about him, it always has been about him. In the end it breads team weakness as was seen at NY. They dislocate from accountability because "big bad Torts" will throw a tantrum on their behalf.

This is the man who prods Edler in public (look how tough I am) who disrespects Hansen in public (look at me) who whines like a baby for putting a rookie out to fight because he was so wrapped up in his own ranting and raving he lost his coaching mind.

Let's be honest, he acted like the Twins had taken to the ice and been severely gubbed. They weren't, he spotted the ploy (if indeed there ever was one) and handled it. So why not settle the f---k down and do his job?

But no it all conceit, self-pleasure and self approbation with Tortorella. Why because he's weak he want's to look strong in a strong man's sport but he's just another wannabe who lucked out in the Cup.

I see that weakness is having good effect on Kassian too, a guy who needs a role model to show him responsibility, control and composure gets a raving madman instead and thinks 'great I'll have some of this"

No the Flames coach shouldn't get more than his fine. Why because he controlled himself. He should be congratulated because he read Tortorella to a T, got the desired response and almost won the game.

Meanwhile the great "storm in a tea-cup" that is Tortorella will hopefully be getting anger management coaching while he leaves his team in the hands of an assistant.

3 months only, it has taken him to "light up" and hurt this team. Where has he left to go? Will he be pulling a plastic water pistol out and squirting his opposite number next?

The guy is one dimensional joke and if he can't behave he should make way for someone who can.
Are you so naive that you really think Tortorella can back himself up? He picks his spots where he is safe.
That's why I just wish everyone had parted and let him into the Calgary DR. He would suddenly have found his boots were lead filled and backed off. He's a weak clown.
I suppose the only way to quantify any reality in your beyond-ridiculous claims is a tournament style league-wide 1v1 coach brawl. I wonder, what other coaches do you consider to be spot-pickers? Christ I didn't even realize a coach could be a spot picker.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Someone with talent for this stuff should put together a long, official document of all the injustices and send it somewhere. There is clearly a story here; it has gotten too absurd.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Someone with talent for this stuff should put together a long, official document of all the injustices and send it somewhere. There is clearly a story here; it has gotten too absurd.

I would love to come up with a stats sheet for all of the games that sutherland has officiating against the canucks. I'm not sure how to do that though.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Lain's flow is so sick. He's also ****ing massive. How has he played? I missed a lot of the first.
edit: wrong thread.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Not sure if it's already been posted, but does anyone know what Torts is and isn't allowed to do while suspended? Like can he still participate in practices or be in the press box during games?

bman9999

Mar 29, 2013
OK, this really pains me but I have to admit that the Canucks are a team I will now be cheering for. I am a Flames fan but am shocked with Hartleys behavior in this game. If he has the stones to put the 4th line on the ice for the start of the game he should have the stones to defend it. When Torts was trying to talk to him on the bench Hartley just ignored him. That was chickens**t. Be a man and answer the questions. Your team has a lot of heart and deserves a better fate. Finally the canucks flames games will mean something again. Torts has made me a believer. Once again I would never ever think I would say this but I will be pulling for the Canucks. A team with a firery head coach with some personality. Good on you Torts, shame on you Harley.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I like that response from Gillis (and, by extension, Tortorella). I can't disgree with any of it.

yoss

May 25, 2011
For those questioning the amount of time Torts had to calm down, consider the following which may have been a factor; you can see Hartley yell something in the hallway at Torts then duck behind McGratton into the dressing room.

So my question is did Hartley yell that prior to Torts flipping out, or in reaction to it? If the former, perhaps his troll job had the desired effect with whatever he might have said. Maybe as he walked by, already keyed up Hartley struck the right nerve with whatever his words directed at him were and caused Torts to temporarily lose his mind with rage.

If he were planning from the beginning, all the way through the first period to go after Hartley as a calculated move then that is entirely something else altogether imo. Seems an expensive and bold strategic move, unless one assumes he was banking on not getting a suspension, which seems unlikely. Or was his anger really sustained to that magnitude for an entire period? Hartley def was a dick by ignoring him after the line brawl, obviously didn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad