OT: John Tortorella Suspension? (UPD: Suspended 15 days/6 games, Hartley fined $25,000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetcoaster

burke stood behind Wilson and Keenan too.
Burkie is a legend in his own mind.

And one should never confuse the bluster, bafflegab and blarney that spews forth from Mount Burke as having any basis in reality.

In June 1998 Burke was hired and who can forget his famous pronouncement about working with Mike Keenan:

"I'm thrilled to have Mike Keenan as my coach. It's not something that I am saddled with. It's something I have been blessed with."

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
I'm clearly one of the few but I just can't buy into the conspiracy theories. I actually agree with everything Friedman wrote regarding this down below. Just to be clear I think there is very little doubt that Vancouver does get penalized more harshly but I just don't think it's Bettman sitting there plotting against the Canucks or any of that pro-southern, anti-Canadian teams crap that gets thrown around here.

There is a conspiracy, but not like you say bettman or someone similar sitting in his office thinking up ways to harm the Canucks. Actually in truth there are multiple conspiracies, but those conspiracies are partially earned, partially unavoidable because we are an expansion team located in a West Coast Canadian city that tends to rub mild climate in the noses of other Canadian prairie and eastern cities. Those conspiricies are driven by general attitudes of the group rather than specific targeted actions.

Canuck fans have to realise the team is up against Old Man Clubs who consider the Canucks outsiders when it comes to NHL hockey. Three Old Man Clubs in fact. The Owners of the Original Six, the Refs and the Media. There is even similar bias when it comes to the Lions and the CFL.

When NHL expansion first occurred, Vancouver was not a welcome team. They were even rejected in the first round and even when included in the next expansion round, were required to agree to special limiting regulations. Much of that was due to an unwillingness to share TV revenue, but British Columbians, both then and still now, are seen as radical, liberal, mavericks by the ultra conservative East. The Owner’s Eastern Old Man Club expect special treatment from the NHL head office then what they demand of what they still consider the lesser clubs. When it comes to the Canucks, they still hold a grudge as to how the Canucks manipulated their rules to be able to steal the likes of Larionov and Bure. That Old Man Club sees the Canucks as rule manipulators who deserve to be curtailed and penalized. Look at what the Canuck ownership did. They fired GM’s approved by that Old Man Club and hired one of those distasteful player agents as GM. You know one of the same player agents who have been driving player salaries up for years and what does Gillis do? He signs Luongo to a contract that plainly circumvents the intent of the NHL head office rules as to salary cap. Any way the Old Man Club and their NHL head office can get even, they will.

Next is the Ref’s Old Man Club. Until recently, the Canucks played a yappy, diving style of play. The Canucks also regularly complained about specific refs to head office. Conning and embarrassing anyone when they are trying to do their job, especially in public, in not the way to win friends and influence people. NHL Refs need to make split second decisions. If they have been fooled before, they are not going to give that player the benefit of the doubt the next time. Like players on a team, refs are also going to support their fellow refs. It is going to take years for the Canucks to lose their poor reputation and regain the trust of the refs, but that is mainly the fault of the Canuck players in the past, not the refs.

Last is the Old Man Club of the Canadian media. Namely the Toronto based CBC and Hockey Night in Canada. Unlike the US, Canadians are ravenous for any hockey related story. What may garner a back page sports editorial, in Canada will get continuous front page and TV coverage. To the extent that a minor issue will be purposely blown out of proportion in order to sell newspapers and advertising.

The Media is not stupid though. They know that to the majority of their audience due to the sheer size of the Ontario and Quebec population, that stories involving the Leafs or the Canadians require special treatment. Lots of coverage for those two teams and even the Sens, but very careful on any negative story. Still there is a huge market for hockey news right across Canada and the other Western teams are fair game. Even if that news has to blown into a bigger issue than what it calls for or even if the story needs to be invented.

With all that extra coverage, the public expects and demands far more accountability in Canada then a similar incident in the US. In the US it is football and baseball sprinkled with a bit of basketball that garners the US fans attention. Much of the conspiracy that Canuck fans complain about is realy minor stories fueled by the media wanting to milk whatever they can out of a news incident, even to the extent that members of the media end up promoting the idea that there is a conspiracy involved.

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013
Tortorella should have ripped Hartlely in the post-game presser rather than headed over to the Flames dressing room. By doing the latter he pretty much muzzled himself due to the impending league discipline. Not a smart move and he was discipline appropriately for his actions.

Are you so naive that you really think Tortorella can back himself up? He picks his spots where he is safe.
That's why I just wish everyone had parted and let him into the Calgary DR. He would suddenly have found his boots were lead filled and backed off. He's a weak clown.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
There is a conspiracy, but not like you say bettman or someone similar sitting in his office thinking up ways to harm the Canucks. Actually in truth there are multiple conspiracies, but those conspiracies are partially earned, partially unavoidable because we are an expansion team located in a West Coast Canadian city that tends to rub mild climate in the noses of other Canadian prairie and eastern cities. Those conspiricies are driven by general attitudes of the group rather than specific targeted actions.

Canuck fans have to realise the team is up against Old Man Clubs who consider the Canucks outsiders when it comes to NHL hockey. Three Old Man Clubs in fact. The Owners of the Original Six, the Refs and the Media. There is even similar bias when it comes to the Lions and the CFL.

When NHL expansion first occurred, Vancouver was not a welcome team. They were even rejected in the first round and even when included in the next expansion round, were required to agree to special limiting regulations. Much of that was due to an unwillingness to share TV revenue, but British Columbians, both then and still now, are seen as radical, liberal, mavericks by the ultra conservative East. The Owner’s Eastern Old Man Club expect special treatment from the NHL head office then what they demand of what they still consider the lesser clubs. When it comes to the Canucks, they still hold a grudge as to how the Canucks manipulated their rules to be able to steal the likes of Larionov and Bure. That Old Man Club sees the Canucks as rule manipulators who deserve to be curtailed and penalized. Look at what the Canuck ownership did. They fired GM’s approved by that Old Man Club and hired one of those distasteful player agents as GM. You know one of the same player agents who have been driving player salaries up for years and what does Gillis do? He signs Luongo to a contract that plainly circumvents the intent of the NHL head office rules as to salary cap. Any way the Old Man Club and their NHL head office can get even, they will.

Next is the Ref’s Old Man Club. Until recently, the Canucks played a yappy, diving style of play. The Canucks also regularly complained about specific refs to head office. Conning and embarrassing anyone when they are trying to do their job, especially in public, in not the way to win friends and influence people. NHL Refs need to make split second decisions. If they have been fooled before, they are not going to give that player the benefit of the doubt the next time. Like players on a team, refs are also going to support their fellow refs. It is going to take years for the Canucks to lose their poor reputation and regain the trust of the refs, but that is mainly the fault of the Canuck players in the past, not the refs.

Last is the Old Man Club of the Canadian media. Namely the Toronto based CBC and Hockey Night in Canada. Unlike the US, Canadians are ravenous for any hockey related story. What may garner a back page sports editorial, in Canada will get continuous front page and TV coverage. To the extent that a minor issue will be purposely blown out of proportion in order to sell newspapers and advertising.

The Media is not stupid though. They know that to the majority of their audience due to the sheer size of the Ontario and Quebec population, that stories involving the Leafs or the Canadians require special treatment. Lots of coverage for those two teams and even the Sens, but very careful on any negative story. Still there is a huge market for hockey news right across Canada and the other Western teams are fair game. Even if that news has to blown into a bigger issue than what it calls for or even if the story needs to be invented.

With all that extra coverage, the public expects and demands far more accountability in Canada then a similar incident in the US. In the US it is football and baseball sprinkled with a bit of basketball that garners the US fans attention. Much of the conspiracy that Canuck fans complain about is realy minor stories fueled by the media wanting to milk whatever they can out of a news incident, even to the extent that members of the media end up promoting the idea that there is a conspiracy involved.

A thought-provoking post. I would be thrilled to see a study of the social cultural field of NHL hockey done with the French sociologist Pierre Bourdieu's social field theory (it deals with power and the ways to convert and further symbolic, economic and cultural capital).

Lady Scarlet

Sep 20, 2013
Northern BC
Burkie is a legend in his own mind.

And one should never confuse the bluster, bafflegab and blarney that spews forth from Mount Burke as having any basis in reality.

In June 1998 Burke was hired and who can forget his famous pronouncement about working with Mike Keenan:

"I'm thrilled to have Mike Keenan as my coach. It's not something that I am saddled with. It's something I have been blessed with."

:laugh: And we know what that got us, right?

Lady Scarlet

Sep 20, 2013
Northern BC
Are you so naive that you really think Tortorella can back himself up? He picks his spots where he is safe.
That's why I just wish everyone had parted and let him into the Calgary DR. He would suddenly have found his boots were lead filled and backed off. He's a weak clown.

:laugh: Ohhhh man.........

:biglaugh:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Problem with that thinking is that the guy in other room is a bigger clown - Hartley. Well known for that in his days as coach from the Atlanta Thrashers.

About as far as Dave Gagner being a key to the Bure trade.
"Goalie of the future"

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

:laugh: Haven't dealt with a small angry person before have you? They're terrifying.

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
I find Burkes comments interesting. He stands behind "Hartley on this issue."

Especially after calling out the teams play.

Im guessing Hartley isnt going to be the coach there past this year if not sooner.

I have to disagree with you. Hartley has always been a proponent of big, gritty, tough teams. Just the type of team Burke is now also wanting for the Flames.

Hartley and Torts have a long history since 1995 and know how to pull each other's chain. This time Hartley won and got Torts to react more than he should have during the intermission. Still, other than the corridor incident, Torts was being himself and out coaching Hartley during the first period. Both knew what they were doing and how the other would likely react.

Last edited:

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC

I'm pretty sure that if everyone stepped back and let Torts and Hartley go at it, Torts would easily win that exchange. 5'8 or not, he was a scrapper when he played, and I'm sure he's got a ton of experience over the ex-goaltender.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I have to disagree with you. Hartley has always been a proponent of big, gritty, tough teams. Just the type of team Burke is now also wanting for the Flames.

Hartley and Torts have a long history since 1995 and know how to pull each other's chain. This time Hartley won and got Torts to react more than he should have during the intermission. Still, other than the corridor incident, Torts was being himself and out coaching Hartley during the first period. Both knew what they were doing and how the other would likely react.

Doesnt matter. Hes not Burkes guy. Whether business or hockey thats always a tenuous position especially if its an expendable position such as NHL coaching.

Hartley would have to be something pretty special to be considered safe.

Then theres also Burkes penchant for talking out both sides of his mouth.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Gotta thank Torts though for providing the setup for a bit of dressing room humour at my game tonight.

There was a smashed bench in the corner of the dressing room. Some guy asked what happened and I said Tortorella stopped by. Lol

Wetcoaster

He's got my respect and most of my NYR buddies.

Torts is like a moving target, the scummers in the media and the NHL front office watch his every move and just waiting for something to eff-up so they can pounce on him.

Very similar to when Sean Avery played, he had a rep for stirring things up and would get called for stuff that many other players would have been overlooked. It's like the refs followed him around with a whistle in mouth just waiting. Torts is in the same microscope.

Good luck Canuck fans.:handclap:
Sean Avery was an idiot and what he received was well-deserved.

Wetcoaster

I hope that while MG and Tortz were in New York that they were able to have a chat with bettman/daly about Devorski. I really do. Utter nonsense that this league tries to sweep that type of conduct underneath the carpet.
Why? It is not relevant to the incident under review.

Wetcoaster

I'm sick of the Canuck whining. Unlike the myth that the team is soft the opinion that the Canucks fans are whiners is 100% solid imo.

We have some heightened sense of entitlement (shown up unfortunately in the riots)
The riots had nothing to do with any sense of entitlement - just a demonstration of idiocy, drunkenness and criminal behaviour.

Wetcoaster

I have a feeling that this is a calculated move by Tort. By doing what he did, he united the team behind him, make the group closer and more importantly, take attention away from his players.

Remember how everyone say the Canucks is mentally weak for the last few games? Isn't this the best medicine?

Let's see how the team responds tonight.
If it was calculated then he is stupider than I imagined. And if so then he should have been suspended for the balance of this season (including play-offs should the Canucks qualify).

Wetcoaster

:laugh: Haven't dealt with a small angry person before have you? They're terrifying.
John Tortorella...
tumblr_l2jk13vLSl1qbhtbpo1_1280.jpg

14065.jpg

Speediakal

Hometown Discount
Apr 4, 2011
Canucks
Yea? A penalty for screening a goalie in a weird way?

He never got penalized for it in the game he started doing it. The league banned it after the game, making it result in a minor penalty.

The league didn't want it becoming a tactic. It's a foolish play. He averted his attention from the play to harass Marty. That's not what hockey is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad