Not open for further replies.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Tavares at 19: 24g/54 pts
Tavares at 20: 29g/67 pts
Tavares at 26: 28g/66pts

vs

Matthews at 19: 40g/69pts

Matthews is already better. If Tavares was putting up 75-80+ pts every single year, you could make the case he is better.

Uh, that means that Matthews is better than Tavares was at the same age, not that he's better right now.

The generational tag on Matthews is dumb.

Matthews' value > Tavares' though age and contract considered.

Also, people saying Matthews is stronger than Tavares is debatable. Matthews' puck protection relies a lot on his elusiveness and his world-class hands and stick work. He's not exactly a grinder

Last edited:

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Ok, lets see if that can be proven....hypothetical question to you, if you had the choice right now, who do you choose, Matthews or Tavares?
Depends on the situation.
For just one year cup run, Tavares
Starting from scratch franchise, Matthews

I think everyone would say that.
Also Tavares is still 26 and has lots in the tank. He's a proven elite NHL talent.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Easy by saying:

he's a generational talent

he's equal to Malkin right now

he's better than McDavid and/or Crosby

Alrighty...i just skimmed the whole thread...

1. One guy said generational...the rest of us refuted that.

2. Nobody said that.

3. Absolutely nobody said that.

So it seems the only thing being over rated is your imagination.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014

2. Nobody said that.

Hasn't been said in this thread but I've read all those 3 claims in other threads.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Hasn't been said in this thread but I've read all those 3 claims in other threads.

Please, i implore you to find me a post in which a Leafs fans stated Matthews is a better player than McDavid...not better contract...or better age....or will become....but better player.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

That's swell, I've seen Oilers fans claim that Hall was better than Kessel. Should I paint you all with the same brush or do you wanna let that one go?

A couple Leafs fans suggesting Matthews is better than McDavid isn't even the craziest thing one of us has said. One guy said that Kulemin would score 40 goals in his rookie season.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Yes so it's very relevant to this thread

This is what sucks ass about having a discussion on these forums. 70% of posters are punching ethereal strawmen
It's still relevant to discussion.

also I wasn't the one making the punches.

Last edited:

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Please, i implore you to find me a post in which a Leafs fans stated Matthews is a better player than McDavid...not better contract...or better age....or will become....but better player.
I'm on my phone rn but I remember RCS clearly saying Matthews is already better than McDavid

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

2. Nobody said that.

Oh, I didn't know asinine claims were limited to this thread alone!

Go look at some of the main board threads.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Yes so it's very relevant to this thread

This is what sucks ass about having a discussion on these forums. 70% of posters are punching ethereal strawmen

Guy asked why player was overrated. When provided reasons it's either "NUH HUH THAT WASNT SAID1" or "NUH HUH STRAWMEN"

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Guy asked why player was overrated. When provided reasons it's either "NUH HUH THAT WASNT SAID1" or "NUH HUH STRAWMEN"

I can find equally ridiculous things said by literally every fanbase. Picking out a few fans and using that as a basis for hate seems to suggest you already had the intention to do so, and were simply looking for something to support that view.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'm on my phone rn but I remember RCS clearly saying Matthews is already better than McDavid

I remember that too, so I know what you're saying. But who cares what one guy says? Do you want us to judge Oilers fans by the screwballs in your fanbase? If you can remember which usernames are the ones spewing ridiculous stuff, then it's best to forget them when it comes to general discussion. Go ahead and argue with him for the lulz, but please ignore that crap when you decide to interact with the rest of us back on planet earth. Throwing that junk at our feet as if we are responsible for it isn't going to get anyone anywhere.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Depends on the situation.
For just one year cup run, Tavares
Starting from scratch franchise, Matthews

I think everyone would say that.
Also Tavares is still 26 and has lots in the tank. He's a proven elite NHL talent.

Sure but Matthews was the better player last season.

Youre picking a guy for a cup run next season, Matthews may be the smart bet considering he's a guy on the cusp of entering his prime.

And while JT is no doubt a great player, let's face it, it's not like he has a huge amount of NHL playoff experience on his CV

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I can find equally ridiculous things said by literally every fanbase. Picking out a few fans and using that as a basis for hate seems to suggest you already had the intention to do so, and were simply looking for something to support that view.

:laugh: Please, stop with this victim complex.

When you say ridiculous statements, be prepared to deal with it.

Also, to the guy who keeps asking for proof, you go scour the guy I'm quoting and you'll find the Matthews = Malkin posts.

RCS was the guy who said Matthews > McDavid

And Kammicolo again with the Is Matthews Generational or potential thread.

Now before you go off and say "oh he's just a hater", I have said, repeatedly, that Matthews is a good player. He's not on the level of McDavid and is getting a bit overrated by various posters and media outlets.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
:laugh: Please, stop with this victim complex.

When you say ridiculous statements, be prepared to deal with it.

Also, to the guy who keeps asking for proof, you go scour the guy I'm quoting and you'll find the Matthews = Malkin posts.

RCS was the guy who said Matthews > McDavid

And Kammicolo again with the Is Matthews Generational or potential thread.

Now before you go off and say "oh he's just a hater", I have said, repeatedly, that Matthews is a good player. He's not on the level of McDavid and is getting a bit overrated by various posters and media outlets.

If you are going to label all Leafs fans using the statements made by RCS, then i guess every Rangers fan should be judged by Bermeister's trade proposals. RCS has said things like "Tanev is horrible"....and "Doughty isn't worth trading for". RCS is not a barometer of Leafs fans....but, this is how HF works....find a ridiculous statement by 1 individual...and go on a "Derp!!!!Derp" rant about an entire fan base. This thread is about which player holds more value...so, we have a 19 year old ELC player coming off a 40 goal 69 point rookie season with years of team control left. Then you have a 26 year old, with 1 more year under contract, after which will be paid a hefty sum (and he can choose where he goes) considering what comparables are. Tavares has been a steady excellent producer, Matthews just had a great rookie season....if both were made available in trade today, who holds more value? I can tell you i would never deal Matthews straight up for Tavares all things considered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad