Value of: John Tavares vs. Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Here’s my thing. I kinda rank them as

Generational- Don’t see these people that often.
Franchise- Someone you want to build your franchise around.
Elite- Great players that are at the top of the league.
Then whatever

Generational: Crosby, McDavid
Franchise: Tavares, Malkin, Karlsson (Boarderline generational), Doughty, Stamkos, Kucherov, Tarasenko, and probably a couple more.
Elite: Eichel, Matthews, Laine, Giroux, Seguin, Schiefele, Hall, Hedman, and you get the idea...

Generational gets thrown around like a French whore right now. It’s so overused. Matthews is nothing more than an elite player... and that’s not being derogatory to him. Comparing him to Tavares right now doesn’t accomplish anything.

Value wise may be a wash. Matthews with his potential and age make him more valuable to a rebuilding team or a team just coming out of that stage. Tavares is the better player no question. He makes any team much much better.

Reactions: Bonesy9

Mar 26, 2010
Boy...generational gets thrown around alot.

Mcdavid is Generational.(notice the period, it implies thats the end of the discussion).

When and if Matthews exceeds PPG and goes triple digits, then he's in the conversation.

As for whos more valuable. Matthews, he's 19 with Tavares+upside and will most likely realize this season
Have to agree that generational does get thrown around a lot....perfect example is McDavid. He is no where close to Crosby or OV.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Matthews is not generational, if he is, then so is Eichel (who I think will be better) and Laine. I don't know what question is being asked here though

I don't think you can say eichel will be better yet, I actually like eichel a lot but I'm curious on what makes you think so

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Have to agree that generational does get thrown around a lot....perfect example is McDavid. He is no where close to Crosby or OV.

You're right, he's better today.

Matthews and generational are about as far apart as the definition gets.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yea. He's separated himself from the rest of the league already:)

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I thought this was a new thread and started reading the first page. Then when I got to the pizza Vs wings comment, I was like “wait a minute” and I remembered that this was already discussed haha. That’s when I caught the 2017’s in the posts. Is that sad or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad