Value of: John Tavares vs. Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Value? Definitely Matthews. Even ignoring contract situation I'd still say he's more valuable based on age.

Tavares is the better player though.

Matthews is of a much greater value than Tavares. Matthews is a generational talent, who will get a McDavid contract. Tavares is a very good player, but not more than that.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
I agree he is a generational player, disagree he will get mcdavid money. Mcdavid doesn't have a comparable in the NHL right now. If Matthews takes a big step forward this season and wins the hart trophy then yeah, mcdavid money might happen.

Now as for who is more valuable between matthews and tavares, it is matthews by a mile. Who is the better player right now? Probably Tavares because we have still only seen one season of matthews, but that one season has been better than half of Tavares seasons including his first 2.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Matthews is not a generational player yet. Not even close actually, he'll have to continue to get better every single season from here on out for that to happen.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Boy...generational gets thrown around alot.

Mcdavid is Generational.(notice the period, it implies thats the end of the discussion).

When and if Matthews exceeds PPG and goes triple digits, then he's in the conversation.

As for whos more valuable. Matthews, he's 19 with Tavares+upside and will most likely realize this season

Reactions: exporta

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Player wise I think they are pretty similar players. Value wise Matthews takes it due to age. If put in the same circumstances which is impossible I think they would have about the same career outlook, but as as is looking forward I think Matthews will have a better career due to line mates and also overall team talent if TOR keeps their core together. This is just my opinion but I view McDavid as a Crosby type talent and Matthews as a Tavares type.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Matthews is Tavares but with better physical tools (most notably a better skater, but also slightly bigger). Very similar games and skill-sets. It's not a lock Matthews will surpass Tavares, but he has a solid chance of doing so. If you make it about next season and who would you rather have without factoring in salary, its close, with maybe a slight edge to JT due to track record. If you start factoring in, age, salary and such, it's pretty easily Matthews.

Baymen4

Oct 31, 2016
See a couple people saying Matthews because of the contract issues with JT right now.

If JT signed a 7 year extension with the leafs, Would there be a discussion of trading them 1 for 1?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Generational: Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Lemiuex, Jagr, Lindros, Lidstrom, Crosby, McDavid
Generational prospects its Lemieux, Lindros, Crosby, McDavid for the modern era.

To be a generational player, I'd say you'd need a couple Harts and a very strong track record. I'd label Hasek a generational guy over Lidstrom and Jagr. Lidstrom is a great player but in no period of time was he deemed the best player in the league by either his peers or the writers following the game, he never even got nominated for the Hart. Great player who was consistently great, but doesn't pass the iconic label required to be generational in my mind. He gets grouped with the great defenders behind Orr, which consists of Potvin, Harvey, Robinson, Bourque etc.

Clear generational players are Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, and Howe. Past that its debatable, but guys such as Beliveau, Ovi, Eddie Shore, Richard, Clarke, Mikita, Bobby Hull, etc enter the discussion before some of the guys you listed.

Matthews isn't a generational prospect and is unlikely to become a generational player. If you aren't the best prospect over a 5 to 10 year window, you aren't generational. McDavid goes above everyone else in recent history outside of Sid. It isn't even debatable. I don't think there is one draft outside of the Lindros and Crosby draft (maybe 2004) where you put McDavid in, and he isn't the first overall pick by atleast a 9/1 margin, and in most cases, it would be 10-0.

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Matthews is not generational, if he is, then so is Eichel (who I think will be better) and Laine. I don't know what question is being asked here though

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
See a couple people saying Matthews because of the contract issues with JT right now.

If JT signed a 7 year extension with the leafs, Would there be a discussion of trading them 1 for 1?
Not a chance. Matthews from 20-27 will be significantly more valuable than Tavares from 28-35.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Matthews is of a much greater value than Tavares. Matthews is a generational talent, who will get a McDavid contract. Tavares is a very good player, but not more than that.

Matthews is a good young centerman but he ain't generational and don't see him getting McDavid money.

Mar 26, 2010
I am a big fan of JT. I would love to have him in Toronto, with that being said you take Matthews every day of the week. Younger, and future Leafs captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad