Value of: John Tavares vs. Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Matthews had a really great rookie season, but it's very premature to throw generational out there. Franchise level, likely, but he needs to do a lot more to get beyond that. Tavares is a franchise player, all things being equal I'd take him on my team all day long. Age and contract status may make Matthews more attractive but until he can post above .9 PPG over multiple season, Tavares > Matthews.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Matthews is most certainly not a generational player and I'm a leafs fan. Generational is saved for once in generation type players.....hence the name. Matthews is a franchise player.

Regarding the OP, obviously Matthews has more value, but that's 100% due to age. Tavares is a two time Hart finalist in his prime so it's a little premature to think Matthews is better. Will he get to that level? I sure hope so and he's not far off right now.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Matthews will outscore Tavares this season.

And barring injury, most seasons following.

Disagree that Matthews is generational though.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How is Tavares better than Matthews? Matthews has played 82 games in the NHL and already has Tavares beat for best season for goals, and his 69 points would place as Tavares' 4th best season ever.

People like to act like Tavares had the career people thought he was going to have at 17. Sorry, he didn't.

HoBOonFiRE

Nov 8, 2009
Oshawa
Matthews is most certainly not a generational player and I'm a leafs fan. Generational is saved for once in generation type players.....hence the name. Matthews is a franchise player.

Regarding the OP, obviously Matthews has more value, but that's 100% due to age. Tavares is a two time Hart finalist in his prime so it's a little premature to think Matthews is better. Will he get to that level? I sure hope so and he's not far off right now.

Solid post. 100% agree.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
this is solid point, pizza can support chicken elevating it in a deadly combo. Ive never seen chicken wings step up and support pizza though.

Chicken wings plays a much simpler game. It can go without sauce altogether (in a pinch) or take on breading, sauces of all kinds, parmesan cheese, etc and you still know more or less what you're going to get. Pizza, on the other hand, can go wrong in so many ways (e.g. too much sugar in the tomato sauce, slide into a pile if the box gets turned too far, having pineapple on it).

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Generational: Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Lemiuex, Jagr, Lindros, Lidstrom, Crosby, McDavid

Your list lost credibility right there, not to mention the dumb generational argument in itself. If a guy is generational based on HF assumption he should have no equal in his generation and that simply isn't the case for most of those guys. Heck I can argue that Peter Forsberg who was part of the Lindros trade was better than him lol.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Chicken wings are good if you want to challenge yourself with a little spice but I'll go with pizza, it's less messy to eat and it's a great breakfast cold the next day. Chicken wings don't have that kind of versatility.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Ok so Mathews had a better rookie year then McDavid but not generational. Why? McDavid had an amazing year this year but who is to say Mathews can't hit 100 next year. If he hits triple digits next year is he still not generational? He definitely has a better shot/goal scoring touch imo then McDavid. If you compare them year to year you can't compare 2nd years yet and Mathews had the better rookie year so explain why a kid advertised as generational, drafted #1, and has 4 goals in his 1st game isn't generational.

Honestly if Mathews was Canadian there would be 0 doubt he would get generational calls all day. But he's American and on one of the more hated teams in the league so it's not going to happen. I 100% dislike both the oilers and the leafs mostly because of the fanbases so I have horse in the race I am just going based on pure talent and from what I've seen and comparing the only thing you can right now is roomie seasons there is 0 way you can say 1 is and 1 isn't. Mathews is now used to the league and so are his teammates... If he gets 70pts next year and the following sure he's an elite franchise C. But if hes putting up ppg year after year and scoring goals the way he does and you still argue not generational your crazy.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Your list lost credibility right there, not to mention the dumb generational argument in itself. If a guy is generational based on HF assumption he should have no equal in his generation and that simply isn't the case for most of those guys. Heck I can argue that Peter Forsberg who was part of the Lindros trade was better than him lol.

I don't even like Jagr but he's the best winger to ever play the game and absolutely was the best player in the league for a number of years. His attempt to play forever is diminishing his legacy though. It's certainly not beyond debate to include him in the conversation for a generational player. As far as talent goes he's top 10 all time. He used to absolutely take over games.

Lindros was absolutely a generational "talent" there's never been a player with his combination of size and skill. Had injuries not derailed his career he potentially goes down as the most physically dominating star player of all time. I do agree that could of can't be included though

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Chicken wings are good if you want to challenge yourself with a little spice but I'll go with pizza, it's less messy to eat and it's a great breakfast cold the next day. Chicken wings don't have that kind of versatility.

That's a fault of your own...planning a meal as a leftover for the next day is basically admitting defeat in the eating world. Pizza is amazing and always will be. It's versarile hot or cold...can be paired with a ton of sauces...wings however...you commit. You are gonna get sloppy gonna have to floss...gonna need some blue cheese. But your meal will be great.. if you finish it.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Other than defensive play (which we only really saw 1/8 seasons for Tavares), is there any skill he has you could say is definitively better than Matthews?

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Other than defensive play (which we only really saw 1/8 seasons for Tavares), is there any skill he has you could say is definitively better than Matthews?

Better passer
Better possession player (if you're the type of person who cares about such things)
Better hands
Stronger on the puck
Proven to have the ability to carry his team in the playoffs (not that Matthews can't, but JT has proven it)

He's just flat-out a better player right now. The only people who would disagree with that are Leafs' homers and those few posters who never watch Tavares but assume he's on the decline due to his point totals.

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Ok so Mathews had a better rookie year then McDavid but not generational. Why? McDavid had an amazing year this year but who is to say Mathews can't hit 100 next year. If he hits triple digits next year is he still not generational? He definitely has a better shot/goal scoring touch imo then McDavid. If you compare them year to year you can't compare 2nd years yet and Mathews had the better rookie year so explain why a kid advertised as generational, drafted #1, and has 4 goals in his 1st game isn't generational.

Honestly if Mathews was Canadian there would be 0 doubt he would get generational calls all day. But he's American and on one of the more hated teams in the league so it's not going to happen. I 100% dislike both the oilers and the leafs mostly because of the fanbases so I have horse in the race I am just going based on pure talent and from what I've seen and comparing the only thing you can right now is roomie seasons there is 0 way you can say 1 is and 1 isn't. Mathews is now used to the league and so are his teammates... If he gets 70pts next year and the following sure he's an elite franchise C. But if hes putting up ppg year after year and scoring goals the way he does and you still argue not generational your crazy.

Lotta ifs in your post there about his next season. Matthews put up 69 points in 82 games last year. MacKinnon scored 61 in 82 his rookie year. Both won the Calder. MacKinnon didn't keep that pace up.

Tavares has a career PPG over .91 over almost 600 games played. Matthews has one really good rookie season. Let's not jump the gun predicting that he is or will be better than Tavares after one season where he lit the league on fire

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Matthews is of a much greater value than Tavares. Matthews is a generational talent, who will get a McDavid contract. Tavares is a very good player, but not more than that.

I don't have a horse in this race but people should know the meaning of 'generational talent' before spouting those words out. It means 'once in a generation', which you could probably round off to about a decade. And people use those words for literally dozens of players now-a-days.

Matthews was drafted a year after Connor McDavid.

I'm sorry, but McDavid is the 'generational talent'. Matthews is a 'very good player'.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight

This is a really bad post. I mean, where to start?

- Matthews was not as good as McDavid his rookie year. Better season, sure, but only because he was healthy.
- Matthews was at no point thought to be as good as McDavid. No one with any credibility has ever said this, and there's no evidence of that changing now.
- Matthews was not advertised as generational. Tons of ****/generic players go 1st OA, they aren't all created equal. And goals in his first game is strictly anecdotal. Brett Favre through a pick-6 his first NFL pass, I guess he sucked?
- There is no discrimination against Americans, that is a laughable idea.
- If Matthews tops 100 points next season and wins the Hart and Art Ross, sure go ahead and call him generational. But he won't, so don't.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Mcdavid was PPG+ in his rookie year, Matthews didn't produce at that level. Pretty simple. McDavid is in his own tier amoung the young guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad