Speculation: John Tavares' Pending Unrestricted Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Likely scenario. One would think that JT would want to know who the coach is going to be before resigning. Let's see how long it takes Lou to pull the trigger on a new coach.

Maybe, personally i think a GM is selling the vision of a team to the player, not who's going to be coaching it. If Lou says to JT "we're going to build a very defense minded team and bring in a coaching staff that can provide this" then he already knows where he stands.

On a similar note, with how quick coaches are replaced would you really decide where you're going to spend the next 10 years playing based on who the latest hire is?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Maybe, personally i think a GM is selling the vision of a team to the player, not who's going to be coaching it. If Lou says to JT "we're going to build a very defense minded team and bring in a coaching staff that can provide this" then he already knows where he stands.

On a similar note, with how quick coaches are replaced would you really decide where you're going to spend the next 10 years playing based on who the latest hire is?

True but if Lou says we are hiring Ron Wilson or Randy Carlyle, it might impact JT's decision. So far I have heard Filpula and possibly Green refusing to wave to come to the Leafs because of Babs.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Unless Tavares knows where he's going, I'm not sure anyone will trade for his rights before knowing he wants to commit.

I think it's a bit of a shot in the dark from Brady. Tavares will probably do like Stamkos and hit the market for a bit, see what's the interest and how much money he can get.

The Islanders are certainly not the Lightning now or moving forward, so Tavares decision won't be as easy to go back when he's got 75M+ offers on the table.

I wonder if Tavares wants to become a Canadian Tire ambassador? ;)

Reactions: NovaLeaf

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Unless Tavares knows where he's going, I'm not sure anyone will trade for his rights before knowing he wants to commit.

I think it's a bit of a shot in the dark from Brady. Tavares will probably do like Stamkos and hit the market for a bit, see what's the interest and how much money he can get.

The Islanders are certainly not the Lightning now or moving forward, so Tavares decision won't be as easy to go back when he's got 75M+ offers on the table.

I wonder if Tavares wants to become a Canadian Tire ambassador? ;)

One would think he can get the same money and 8 years with the Isles so money won't be as much of a factor IMO. I lean to losing and the arena issue as the reasons why he leaves. I'll definitely sign up for a Canadian Tire credit card if he signs with the Leafs :)

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
True but if Lou says we are hiring Ron Wilson or Randy Carlyle, it might impact JT's decision. So far I have heard Filpula and possibly Green refusing to wave to come to the Leafs because of Babs.
I think Green said there were only 2 teams he'd waive for. Washington was one and I forget who the other was.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008

See, having Babs helps the team even when hes not trying to help the team :laugh:,

Seriously though, i get what your saying but just dont think it has as much of an impact on a superstar centre as a 3rd/4th line C and a defenseman who is very system dependant.

Again, its only my opinion, but id bet that JT has already made his mind up and it will have nothing to do with the coach hired because he will be there long after anybody they hire this season.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
See, having Babs helps the team even when hes not trying to help the team :laugh:,

Seriously though, i get what your saying but just dont think it has as much of an impact on a superstar centre as a 3rd/4th line C and a defenseman who is very system dependant.

Again, its only my opinion, but id bet that JT has already made his mind up and it will have nothing to do with the coach hired because he will be there long after anybody they hire this season.

I agree that JT has already made his mind up. I just hope that it is to return home. In our case, Babs is a key. I get goosebumps when he talks about how good it is to play in Toronto and I am sure he can convince JT to join. Our plan is to hitch the cart to Matthews. Adding a second player we can hitch the cart to makes us a beast to shut down. Just ask Vegas how difficult it is to shut down both Kuz and Backstrom when they are playing well.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
I agree that JT has already made his mind up. I just hope that it is to return home. In our case, Babs is a key. I get goosebumps when he talks about how good it is to play in Toronto and I am sure he can convince JT to join. Our plan is to hitch the cart to Matthews. Adding a second player we can hitch the cart to makes us a beast to shut down. Just ask Vegas how difficult it is to shut down both Kuz and Backstrom when they are playing well.

Im on board buddy, the fan in me who's been hurt by every big free agent/trade target meant to be coming home doesn't want to believe we have a shot..... but part of me just can't help feeling like JT is the one.

Pretty sure i said the same about Stamkos, but in hindsight the guy was looking at a team set up for a good few years challenging for the cup vs the last place team in the league. JT isnt, and for the fist time i can ever remember we are in a place where we arent offering a player the chance to come here and fix everything, we're offering the chance to be part of a winner.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
IF this is true, and it's Greg Brady so who knows then it's time for Dubas to prove his worth, IF his rights are being shopped, go get them and get him signed, prove he's not gutless

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
The thought of Matthews, Taveras, Kadri down the middle. ...

I think I need to change my pants now.

Reactions: IWD

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
IF this is true, and it's Greg Brady so who knows then it's time for Dubas to prove his worth, IF his rights are being shopped, go get them and get him signed, prove he's not gutless

So if he doesn't beat out the other 30 teams who would want Tavares he's no good? Talk about a tall order. We could be #30 on JTs list for all we know.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
So why would Brady come out of the blue and make such a bold prediction? I don't even think Ek has and he is the king of making bold predictions.
Beats me, but I still don't believe it.

I still think he will stay with NYI.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Trading for and signing Tavares is the only way to prove his worth?

IF Tavares is out there you go get and you make it work just like Chicago did for years and Pittsburgh does now.

No it's not the only way but he does have to do something big

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
IF Tavares is out there you go get and you make it work just like Chicago did for years and Pittsburgh does now.

No it's not the only way but he does have to do something big

Lamoriello missed out on Stamkos. Even the most experienced of executives miss out on top end players in free agency because it's not their decision to make.

I think you need to take a step back and realize that this is a long shot and already blaming Dubas for missing out on Tavares is rather misguided.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
there's no way that a garbage coach like Weight leaving is going to be the last straw for him. There's also no way Weight would have been fired if Tavares staying was contingent on that
It makes no sense. If Tavares signs with another team, chances are there is no Doug Weight as coach. So that really shouldn't have a bearing on his decision.
He should base his decision on:
1. Solid organization working towards winning the Cup.
2. Location. Do you want Canada/USA, East Coast/West Coast.

The money will be there.

Reactions: ToneDog

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So if he doesn't beat out the other 30 teams who would want Tavares he's no good? Talk about a tall order. We could be #30 on JTs list for all we know.

Doubt it we got Matthews Marner Nylander Kadri Marleau Rielly Andersen I'm betting we aren't 30th on his list.

Especially since 30 other teams can't realistically make an offer because teams like Arizona are essentially broke

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
What are the chances JT forgets about exploring UFA status and stays in Long Island? There is zero chance. He will talk to other teams.
Stamkos was in a different situation. He was playing on a contender with a state with low taxes. Tavares is on a mess of a team.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Lamoriello missed out on Stamkos. Even the most experienced of executives miss out on top end players in free agency because it's not their decision to make.

I think you need to take a step back and realize that this is a long shot and already blaming Dubas for missing out on Tavares is rather misguided.

Go back look at my posts at that time I never had Stmkos being a Leaf, I had him staying in Tampa until the deadline and then when I did think he was leaving I had him Buffalo because that ownership wants to land a big fish badly.

Again it doesn't HAVE to be Tavares but he has to do something big be it a forward or D man, trade or free agency I don't care but HAS to do something

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Go back look at my posts at that time I never had Stmkos being a Leaf, I had him staying in Tampa until the deadline and then when I did think he was leaving I had him Buffalo because that ownership wants to land a big fish badly.

Again it doesn't HAVE to be Tavares but he has to do something big be it a forward or D man, trade or free agency I don't care but HAS to do something

I won't do that. My point was that sometimes things don't work out even if you do everything you can to sign or land a player. Stamkos actually made it to free agency period but Lamoriello couldn't get it done.

With that said, you always want your team to improve and Dubas has a lot of options this off-season to make his team go from top 10 to top 5. It won't be easy. Adding Tavares for nothing but cap space would solve a lot of problems.

Reactions: ToneDog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad