Speculation: John Tavares' Pending Unrestricted Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It would be stupid of him not to test free agency, but I doubt Weight getting sacked is a strong factor here.

Personally, I suspect Tavares may have the Leafs on his radar but is waiting to see how our contracts with the big three play out to see how he might be able to fit (and how much money he could actually make) into the team's cap structure.
At the very least I would think Tavares wants the chance to talk with other teams during the negotiating period before July 1st.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Even if it's true that Tavares won't re-sign because Weight was fired, anyone could see Lou firing him and Snow the moment he was hired. It was only a matter of time.

The real question is how much does anyone believe Greg Brady and his sources?
I recall Brady telling all Leaf fans for months prior to the signing of an 8 year extension that his "Sources" said Kessel wanted nothing to do with the Leafs and was leaving via free agency.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I’m curious if Tavares becomes a FA July 1 do you think the Leafs are interested? And secondly would Tavares really want to play second line C? Cause I don’t.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I’m curious if Tavares becomes a FA July 1 do you think the Leafs are interested? And secondly would Tavares really want to play second line C? Cause I don’t.
Any team would be interested, it would be stupid not to sign a franchise player for free, regardless of the cap. You make room if you have to and run a Matthews-Tavares like Crosby - Malkin

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
We would have two first lines and ice-time would reflect that. They would both be on either the same PP or two power plays that split ice-time similar to our set-up last year.

Did Malkin and Crosby feud over this? Does Backstrom get pissed he isn't with Ovi anymore? Do Kane and Toews complain about being on separate lines? Winning tends to cure all. This wasn't an issue with Yzerman and Fedorov or Sakic and Forsberg.

I don't think NHLers view the line set-ups as absolute and understand the dynamics of a successful team.

Mar 26, 2010
Tavares to Toronto. He would save the franchise.

Mar 26, 2010
Second line C? Really? Tavares bumps Matthews down to the 3rd line C.

Tavares would instantly be the #1 C and Captain of the Leafs.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Tavares said he wants the coach gone otherwise he's looking elsewhere. Lou Lam drops he hammer and fires the coach and the GM. Tavares can now author the teams future as the captain and commander. You can spin this both ways. But Brady's version is more click baity.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I believe Tavares likely has had his mind made up that he’s leaving NY for quite a while now, considering how the Islanders’ latest season went. A whole lot of Barzal, some nice play from Eberle and Lee, and a whole lot of debacle play elsewhere, especially in goal and on defence. Bringing in Lou to talk to him probably didn’t help change JTs opinion on the franchise, and neither did the recent firings.

And if he does hit the open market, I think we would be silly to think there isn’t mutual interest between him and the Leafs. The cap could make things tricky, but I think Shanny, Dubas, Pridham and co. can find a way to make it happen, especially if JT, AM and MM buy into it.

Aside from the hometown factor, there are several more factors that seem to favour Toronto over the Isles or other teams:

1) Shanahan’s very similar background to JT.
2) JT is familiar with Babcock.
3) Auston Matthews and him would be a tremendous 1-2 punch, and he knows it.
4) The Leafs have already tried to get him twice before, and were very open about it to the media each time.
5) He was roommates with Kadri in London, and has spoken highly of him in interviews.
6) Overall the Leafs are one of the faster, offensively skilled teams in the NHL, with good, young forward depth. He would immediately have wingers who could easily play at his tempo.
7) Established goalie.
8) The once in a lifetime opportunity to take a historic franchise to a place they haven’t been in decades.
9) The Leafs are a powerful, wealthy franchise, should they need to get creative to remedy any issues.
(Edit - removed the point that Matthews and JT share the same agent... just found out this morning that AM moved to the Orr group... not sure why, but I'm thinking he wants that McDavid $$$, which doesn't make things any easier)

I feel like I could go on. Maybe it’s too late in the night and/or I’m sipping too much blue kool aid, but I haven’t felt like this about any free agent in the past, except for maybe Eric Lindros. But that was when he was well past his prime, and he had already made it clear for years that he wanted to play in Toronto. Aside from that, I haven’t felt a star free agent was a realistic fit to sign in Toronto for several years now, mostly because either the Leafs, for years, didn’t show this much promise, the player was already in a much better situation, or both. In fact the last time the Leafs were able to pitch themselves as a contender to potential free agents was likely in the pre-cap Mats Sundin era, when they landed guys like Mogilny, Roberts and Nieuwendyk near the tail ends of their careers. I don’t think any free agent was jumping at the opportunity to come to Toronto in the Kessel years, and who could blame them? Even last off-season, although the Leafs looked promising, I didn’t think Stamkos would sign here for several reasons, but mainly because Tampa was already established as a young, top tier team, so why walk away from that (plus no state taxes, and the warm weather)?

This is clearly a completely different scenario than so many others in recent years, and it could very well be the one that finally goes Toronto’s way.

Last edited:

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Even if it's true that Tavares won't re-sign because Weight was fired, anyone could see Lou firing him and Snow the moment he was hired. It was only a matter of time.

The real question is how much does anyone believe Greg Brady and his sources?

Greg's source is his parent's housekeeper Alice who heard it from her boyfriend Sam the butcher.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I believe Tavares likely has had his mind made up that he’s leaving NY for quite a while now, considering how the Islanders’ latest season went. A whole lot of Barzal, some nice play from Eberle and Lee, and a whole lot of debacle play elsewhere, especially in goal and on defence. Bringing in Lou to talk to him probably didn’t help change JTs opinion on the franchise, and neither did the recent firings.

And if he does hit the open market, I think we would be silly to think there isn’t mutual interest between him and the Leafs. The cap could make things tricky, but I think Shanny, Dubas, Pridham and co. can find a way to make it happen, especially if JT, AM and MM buy into it.

Aside from the hometown factor, there are several more factors that seem to favour Toronto over the Isles or other teams:

1) Shanahan’s very similar background to JT.
2) JT is familiar with Babcock.
3) Auston Matthews and him would be a tremendous 1-2 punch, and he knows it.
4) The Leafs have already tried to get him twice before, and were very open about it to the media each time.
5) He was roommates with Kadri in London, and has spoken highly of him in interviews.
6) Overall the Leafs are one of the faster, offensively skilled teams in the NHL, with good, young forward depth. He would immediately have wingers who could easily play at his tempo.
7) Established goalie.
8) The once in a lifetime opportunity to take a historic franchise to a place they haven’t been in decades.
9) JT and Matthews share the same agent, Pat Brisson.
10) The Leafs are a powerful, wealthy franchise, should they need to get creative to remedy any issues.

I feel like I could go on. Maybe it’s too late in the night and/or I’m sipping too much blue kool aid, but I haven’t felt like this about any free agent in the past, except for maybe Eric Lindros. But that was when he was past him prime, and he had made it clear for years that he wanted to play in Toronto. I haven’t felt a star free agent was a fit to sign in Toronto for several years now, mostly because either the Leafs, for years, didn’t show this much promise, the player was already in a much better situation, or both. In fact the last time the Leafs were able to pitch themselves as a contender to potential free agents was likely in the pre-cap Mats Sundin era, when they landed guys like Mogilny, Roberts and Nieuwendyk near the tail ends of their careers. I don’t think any free agent was jumping at the opportunity to come to Toronto in the Kessel years, and who could blame them? Even last offseason, although the Leafs looked promising, I didn’t think Stamkos would sign here for several reasons, but mainly because Tampa was already established as a young, top tier team, so why walk away from that (plus no state taxes, and the warm weather)?

This is clearly a completely different scenario than so many others in recent years, and it could very well be the one that finally goes Toronto’s way.
Personally I'm not going to get my hopes up on the chance Tavares does not sign with the Leafs. However I will say compared to when Stamkos was about to become a UFA, I think it's a higher chance Tavares might sign with Toronto than it was of Stamkos wanting to leave Tampa Bay.

Reactions: Goonface2k14

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Hmm obviously they were also signed for their talent but I wonder if having 2 awesome capologists as A. GMs was not only for managing the 3 kids' contracts but also for managing a way to add an elite UFA like Tavares or Doughty/Karlsson/OEL the next year into our core

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
It is quite possible that Lou might be a huge reason Tavares leaves the Islanders and a huge reason he'd actually consider Toronto. Lou just took
over a club that let in 63 more goals against then the Leafs. I cannot imagine it's going to be a fun time there for offensive players. And for all the
reasons Tavares might choose a team, many which could favor the Leafs as a choice, the best attribute Lou Lamoriello did was how the team is dealing
with the media.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Anybody who thinks Lou wouldn't keep Weight around just to keep JT because of some kind of "im in control" move is deluded.

If there was even an inkling JT would go if Weight goes then you keep him, try to resign JT and if successful, use the the year as a rebuild then fire him next offseason/midseason.

My opinion would be that firing Weight could be an indicator that Lou has already been informed by JT he will be leaving and that the offseason restructure begins now.

Most interesting thing will be; If JT goes, do you go full rebuild or offseason retool?

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
If JT comes to Toronto then it will be because of Shanny period end of story. I will have nothing to do with Dubas or Babcock.

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
Could use him but don't need him as much as a couple of good D imo.

I don't think he will sign with Toronto. Whatever happens happens tho.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Personally I'm not going to get my hopes up on the chance Tavares does not sign with the Leafs. However I will say compared to when Stamkos was about to become a UFA, I think it's a higher chance Tavares might sign with Toronto than it was of Stamkos wanting to leave Tampa Bay.

Agree. Stamkos never wanted to leave TB but JT is more likely to leave the Isles. In fairness to Brady, this morning he said that he has not heard any whispers of JT coming to Toronto.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Anybody who thinks Lou wouldn't keep Weight around just to keep JT because of some kind of "im in control" move is deluded.

If there was even an inkling JT would go if Weight goes then you keep him, try to resign JT and if successful, use the the year as a rebuild then fire him next offseason/midseason.

My opinion would be that firing Weight could be an indicator that Lou has already been informed by JT he will be leaving and that the offseason restructure begins now.

Most interesting thing will be; If JT goes, do you go full rebuild or offseason retool?

Likely scenario. One would think that JT would want to know who the coach is going to be before resigning. Let's see how long it takes Lou to pull the trigger on a new coach.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Could use him but don't need him as much as a couple of good D imo.

I don't think he will sign with Toronto. Whatever happens happens tho.

A couple of "good D" are not as difficult to find as elite #1Cs. However one might not think so, given Leafs have been searching since they were knocked out of the playoffs by the Caps last year. I recall rumors they were scouting the Ducks/Preds D in last years playoffs.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I don't think players see line numbers in quite the same way fans do.
Do you think he'd rather play with 2 plugs on line 1 or 2 really good players on line 2?

And nothing we've seen from JT over the years suggests that his ego will get in the way of his decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad