Speculation: John Tavares' Pending Unrestricted Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Because this team still needs 1 big piece
So what? If there's no deal there, you don't make it. That's what a good GM does. Not goes out and does something big because the fans want it or because there's a need. There has to be a fit.

And, outside of a JT signing, I don't see anything big this summer. In fact, prepare yourself for the biggest news this off season being the contracts of the Big 3.

Reactions: SprDaVE

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I won't do that. My point was that sometimes things don't work out even if you do everything you can to sign or land a player. Stamkos actually made it to free agency period but Lamoriello couldn't get it done.

With that said, you always want your team to improve and Dubas has a lot of options this off-season to make his team go from top 10 to top 5. It won't be easy. Adding Tavares for nothing but cap space would solve a lot of problems.

It would solve all the problems, you would have the best center depth in the NHL and the best forward group in the NHL why do you think I want this

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Some curious opinions being thrown around.

I have to think we are in his top 3 unless the media scares him. Ultimately he probably already knows where he wants to go but I have no doubt teams like STL and SJ will trade for his rights and try and court him.

It will be interesting to see how much effort we put into this. On one hand he is not a huge need but on the other he'd be the best #2 C we ever had and with Kadri we'd be in the conversation for top C depth in the league. You could then trade Nylander for D help or just try and score your way out of trouble. Or trade Kadri (I'd rather not)?

I do have concerns about having so much money committed to forward because it then makes a Doughty type add impossible. Does anyone doubt if we'd had Doughty (or someone of that ilk) we could have got past Boston?

I suspect we will make a polite offer but we will only get him if it's his dream to lift a Cup in Blue and White. I cannot see us being the highest bidder.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Some curious opinions being thrown around.

I have to think we are in his top 3 unless the media scares him. Ultimately he probably already knows where he wants to go but I have no doubt teams like STL and SJ will trade for his rights and try and court him.

It will be interesting to see how much effort we put into this. On one hand he is not a huge need but on the other he'd be the best #2 C we ever had and with Kadri we'd be in the conversation for top C depth in the league. You could then trade Nylander for D help or just try and score your way out of trouble. Or trade Kadri (I'd rather not)?

I do have concerns about having so much money committed to forward because it then makes a Doughty type add impossible. Does anyone doubt if we'd had Doughty (or someone of that ilk) we could have got past Boston?

I suspect we will make a polite offer but we will only get him if it's his dream to lift a Cup in Blue and White. I cannot see us being the highest bidder.

You keep Nylander and you run the best forward group in the NHL

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Lol no one talks to Brady, even if this is true..
Wrong so wrong...

Brady is not some fool spitballing here. He has heard what he said he heard. J.T. agent is famous for getting info out to help his client get better terms and to create a market for his player.

Last thing Brady is a London boy and lots of connections for J.T. in London still.

Will J.T. definitely not sign with the Islanders I highly doubt it but for sure something is up and the firing of a friend of his who he supported sure looks like there’s some smoke.

Last edited:
Reactions: NovaLeaf

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Last thing here....Dubas will not have anything to do with us chasing or not chasing J.T. that decision will be all Shanny so Dubas should get no props if we sign him or no blame if we do not. Trust me if J.T hits free agency we are a huge player in attempting to sign him and it will not be simply kicking the tires it will be an all out blitz.

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I didn't have a problem keeping the UFA's. We had a good team. We should've beaten Boston.
The experience will be good for them.

Meh - last year's playoffs was a good learning experience. They hadn't been there in a while, they battled hard, but came up short.
This year - even though it went 7 games, they were out-classed. The Marchand line destroyed them. They were a defensive train-wreck and went down with a whimper in the 3rd period of game 7. They gambled with UFA's (Bozak and JVR) who never step up in big games and lost. They also unnecessarily gave up a 2nd for Pleks to address a hole they've had for a few years. They kinda half-assed it - keep all UFAs but do very little at TDL to address obvious needs

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Last thing here....Dubas will not have anything to do with us chasing or not chasing J.T. that decision will be all Shanny so Dubas should get no props if we sign him or no blame if we do not. Trust me if J.T hits free agency we are a huge player in attempting to sign him and it will not be simply kicking the tires it will be an all out blitz.

Oh god... Here we go. This is really something else and it hasn't even been 1 month into his job.

You can say that about literally any GM with a President. "That was the Presidents choice, not the GM" and all I have to say is "trust me".

From now on, any hockey decisions related to the Maple Leafs will fall on Dubas' shoulder, just like they did with Lamoriello. He has a boss like most GMs out there and his decisions will be what decides his outcome. This isn't anything new in the hockey echelon.

Reactions: al secord

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Oh god... Here we go. This is really something else and it hasn't even been 1 month into his job.

You can say that about literally any GM with a President. "That was the Presidents choice, not the GM" and all I have to say is "trust me".

From now on, any hockey decisions related to the Maple Leafs will fall on Dubas' shoulder, just like they did with Lamoriello. He has a boss like most GMs out there and his decisions will be what decides his outcome. This isn't anything new in the hockey echelon.

Do you always like to argue for the sake of arguing.

Decisions like this always are made above the GM level. It is no slight in Dubas but he simply lacks the authority to make a decisions like this.

Gear down man. Look at what I said when I said “trust me”.

Last edited:

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

I mean, for what it's worth, you could say this is on Pridham. He will set the budget I would think. So if it all fits, it's him that he hero. Or villain if we end up in cap hell.

My ROT is that it goes on the GM. It's part of their job description. For better or for worse.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The Boston series sure was a learning experience... for management about where its 3 young stars are in terms of competitiveness at this stage in their careers.

About the thread, why would any team deal anything for Tavares (or any player) with this 1 week period where all teams can talk to the free agents?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The Boston series sure was a learning experience... for management about where its 3 young stars are in terms of competitiveness at this stage in their careers.

About the thread, why would any team deal anything for Tavares (or any player) with this 1 week period where all teams can talk to the free agents?

That is true! And perhaps their goalie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad